Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    7364605_01_s_w_shield_45_plus_ammo_640.jpg

Wasn't looking for a .45 at all.
    Recently I have bought a S/W Shield 9mm, Ruger LCRx .38 and a .22 single action revolver.
    I always look here and Armslist daily for what is for sale so I can learn prices.

I can get a new M&P Shield .45 for $400 at Hoosier Armory, and used prices are that are more, but I saw two today on Armslist:
    $350 with holsters and $325 with ammo.
    The $325 with $100 of ammo with it was near me on the East side, so I decided to go or it.
    The profile of the owner was great: he bought it in April, put 4 mags of ammo through it, and put it away with his other guns (he got 2 of Smith's guns with the rebate, and said he hasn't got the rebate yet).
    The price, I thought was good enough that I can sell it anytime and get my money back, so why not?

At the range, I found it to be accurate, I did everything from 15' to 45'.
    I was surprised the recoil wasn't more.
    It seemed to have no more than the small 9mms like the Ruger LC9 and the Taurus 709, but that is just from memory.
    I shot my Shield 9mm today and I wish I would have paid more attention and shot them back to back, but I don't remember the recoil being any big deal between the two.

What surprised me was the size difference: hardly any between the M&P Shield 9mm and the M&P Shield 45mm.
    It is no thicker in the handle, the 45 is only about 1/2 inch longer and 1/2 inch taller: surprising.
    Both the 9mm and the 45mm fit into my Desanti Superfly sticky pocket holster that fits my S/W 642 .38 snubbie with just a little but of the edge of the handle sticking over the "flap" of the holster (the flap helps hide the profile of the handle in the pocket).

Well, life just got more complicated for me in what to keep and what to sell.
    I have always wanted a 45 (just b/c I never had one, like I never had a 9mm before this summer) and this Shield is small enough to warrant keeping for a CC.

I could not believe how hard it was to load up the magazines. Good Grief!
    The springs in the mags seem so stiff that it was very difficult to get the last round or two in the mags.
    Hopefully, it will get easier as I put more in.
    Does it do any good loosening them up by putting them in and leaving them?

GlockRiver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    The Zone
    Great handgun. I've had mine for 6 months and it shoots awesome. It rides with me and should provide excellent protection. Congrats! :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congrats on the deal and the pistol itself, I wouldn't hate a 45 single stack for carry but then I remember that's what my 1911 is for. Lol

1. I am totally thrilled having it: it wasn't even on my radar, but, I'll buy anything if the price is right and I know I can sell it for what I paid for it. This is why I go through the Classifieds here and on Armslist everyday: to get lucky!
    2. I can't believe that I bought it cheaper than the S/W M&P Shield 9mm ($280), when you account for the shells ($325 - $100 shells = $225).
    3. I would have bought it, maybe, even w/o the shells, but it was a no brainer with the shells.
    4. What surprises me is that the shells cost less than 38s, so if I'm going to spend for range shells, why not a 45 instead of my 38s. I have 3 38s now, but I'm selling one tonight, and will be down to two, and then I'll decide between the Ruger LCRx (3") and the Smith 64 model (4").
    5. I thought about keeping both for awhile, but after buying the 45, I'll have to "cut" one.
    6. In addition, I still can't believe the 45 is only a little bit bigger in size than the Shield 9mm: really!

7. In a "caveat" about the seller, he has many guns buying and selling for his pleasure, and he told me when I called that 2 others were before me, but had not set up a meeting, so I was first in line.
    8. I drove right over. Price was not mentioned on my part, b/c I knew it was great (in my mostly inexperienced book).
    9. He told me when I left that a guy that had called him and offered him $300, had called back to say he would pay the $325.
    10. He had the pleasure of telling him I bought it right after he had called.
    11. He said he always priced a gun right (like I do), and he knew the $325 was right for a quick sale.
    12. I told him: "Wasn't it fun to be able to tell a person who rejected the original price, trying to save the last dollar, that it sold a few minutes after he rejected the price."
    13. We were so on the same page about the buying and selling of guns and dealing with "the public." Put a good price, below what others are selling for in the ads, and stick to it. I told him I have told people that if it isn't worth what I'm asking, call back in a month (or week, whatever) and if it hasn't sold I'll be lowering the price, then, but I remind them that my price is below other local pricing.
    13. When I see some of the prices in gun stores for used guns it is unreal, really absurd sometimes b/c I can buy them new at Hoosier Armory for less. Oh well, that is what research is for. :laugh:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Congratulations...that's a good deal!

The S&W Shield .45 recently came up on my radar... hope I find a good deal like that...patience matters!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don't know, man. Shells are pretty cheap. :):

LBwwuK0.jpg

1. Sorry, I come from the 70s and 80s, and stopped with shooting around 1990 and I could not believe prices at the store and the range now.
    2. I have paid $24 for a box of 38 shells at the range, but the last time I bought, I ordered online for about .30 cents each Saturday (Centerfire, I think, or Palmetto State Armory).
    3. I ran out of some 38s I used that I had bought and at the range Sunday I paid $18/box, (.36 cents each) b/c I wanted to test my Ruger LCRx again comparing it with my S/W 64-8 38 special to see which to keep and which to sell, 2 really different guns. Verdict is still out: keeping both for now. I sold my Smith 64-7 yesterday to pay for my Smith Shield 45 that was "forced" on my Sunday b/c the deal was so sweet ($325 w/ $100 of shells, therefore = $225 for gun) :wow:

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I have 4 mags that have been through about 250 rounds (approx 9-10 cycles each), the springs break in for sure

7364605_01_s_w_shield_45_plus_ammo_640.jpg

Wasn't looking for a .45 at all.
    Recently I have bought a S/W Shield 9mm, Ruger LCRx .38 and a .22 single action revolver.
    I always look here and Armslist daily for what is for sale so I can learn prices.

I can get a new M&P Shield .45 for $400 at Hoosier Armory, and used prices are that are more, but I saw two today on Armslist:
    $350 with holsters and $325 with ammo.
    The $325 with $100 of ammo with it was near me on the East side, so I decided to go or it.
    The profile of the owner was great: he bought it in April, put 4 mags of ammo through it, and put it away with his other guns (he got 2 of Smith's guns with the rebate, and said he hasn't got the rebate yet).
    The price, I thought was good enough that I can sell it anytime and get my money back, so why not?

At the range, I found it to be accurate, I did everything from 15' to 45'.
    I was surprised the recoil wasn't more.
    It seemed to have no more than the small 9mms like the Ruger LC9 and the Taurus 709, but that is just from memory.
    I shot my Shield 9mm today and I wish I would have paid more attention and shot them back to back, but I don't remember the recoil being any big deal between the two.

What surprised me was the size difference: hardly any between the M&P Shield 9mm and the M&P Shield 45mm.
    It is no thicker in the handle, the 45 is only about 1/2 inch longer and 1/2 inch taller: surprising.
    Both the 9mm and the 45mm fit into my Desanti Superfly sticky pocket holster that fits my S/W 642 .38 snubbie with just a little but of the edge of the handle sticking over the "flap" of the holster (the flap helps hide the profile of the handle in the pocket).

Well, life just got more complicated for me in what to keep and what to sell.
    I have always wanted a 45 (just b/c I never had one, like I never had a 9mm before this summer) and this Shield is small enough to warrant keeping for a CC.

I could not believe how hard it was to load up the magazines. Good Grief!
    The springs in the mags seem so stiff that it was very difficult to get the last round or two in the mags.
    Hopefully, it will get easier as I put more in.
    Does it do any good loosening them up by putting them in and leaving them?

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Your timing is pretty good, if you got back into shooting after Sandy Hook you really would have had some sticker shock!

1. Sorry, I come from the 70s and 80s, and stopped with shooting around 1990 and I could not believe prices at the store and the range now.
    2. I have paid $24 for a box of 38 shells at the range, but the last time I bought, I ordered online for about .30 cents each Saturday (Centerfire, I think, or Palmetto State Armory).
    3. I ran out of some 38s I used that I had bought and at the range Sunday I paid $18/box, (.36 cents each) b/c I wanted to test my Ruger LCRx again comparing it with my S/W 64-8 38 special to see which to keep and which to sell, 2 really different guns. Verdict is still out: keeping both for now. I sold my Smith 64-7 yesterday to pay for my Smith Shield 45 that was "forced" on my Sunday b/c the deal was so sweet ($325 w/ $100 of shells, therefore = $225 for gun) :wow:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Your timing is pretty good, if you got back into shooting after Sandy Hook you really would have had some sticker shock!

I would have only target shot with my 22s. :laugh:
    I enjoy them more than any caliber: 5-7 cents ea.
    That's why I don't need to keep a 38, 9mm and a 45mm all for the range.
    I'll pick one for CC and maybe 2 for the home: bedroom and living room, and if I can get by with only 2 instead of 3, all the better!
    I think I've bought less than 20 guns since May, and have less than 10, and need to par down, get leaner. (so I can buy other guns that I don't even know about yet. :laugh:
    I did that with the Sig 1911-22 and the Baretts 950 25 caliber.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just arranged to meet someone tomorrow from here to buy 400 rounds of 45 ammo for $120, near my house: convenient.
    Now I will have ammo handy.
    Some 38 special ammo came today in the mail that I ordered, so now I just need to buy some .25 ammo for another gun.

Top Bottom