• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am not an experienced Glock person, so I am really not sure what happened. I took the brand new, unmolested, not even taken down yet, glock to the range today. I put about 200 rounds through it. About half way through that, the pistol didn’t fire. The trigger wasn’t cocked. It had cycled fine otherwise. There was a new unfired round in the chamber. I dropped the mag and checked. It ran fine after that. I have never had something happen like that before.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am not an experienced Glock person, so I am really not sure what happened. I took the brand new, unmolested, not even taken down yet, glock to the range today. I put about 200 rounds through it. About half way through that, the pistol didn’t fire. The trigger wasn’t cocked. It had cycled fine otherwise. There was a new unfired round in the chamber. I dropped the mag and checked. It ran fine after that. I have never had something happen like that before.

I've had that happen on a new G19-4. NHT3 fixed it quick.
    No grease or oil in it IIRC. Mine did that the first 6 rounds until Charlie diddled with it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Other than lubing it then, is there something I need to do?

I'd hit up NHT3 as I know he's got a Gen5 in the classifieds. He knows Glocks pretty good.

I'm NO Glock expert even though that's what I carry. I clean and over lube my Glocks now. I have to wipe them down twice. I don't have any more problems since I started hitting all the crucial areas with Slip2000 EWL and I use Slip2000 EWG on the rails. VERY thin coat of the EWG between frame and slide.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Wow, I've shot many many Glocks over the years and never had one strip in a new round, but not cock the trigger.
    Not even sure how that could physically happen or if it's even possible to duplicate, but sometimes I guess the seemingly impossible can happen.
    That's a head scratcher :scratch:

Disassemble, clean, lube, and run her again.
    If it does it again, there's got to be a faulty part inside the trigger housing.
    I wonder if the striker reset and was being held back by the internal safeties?
    Otherwise it would have fired the round or at least dimpled the primer a little when the slide went forward, right?
    How did the round look when you cleared the gun? Primer dimpled or not?
    Doesn't really sound like a typical ammo caused malfunction.
    Did you try doing a "tap/rack"??

My gen 5 has been perfect. 900 rounds, no cleaning, no lube, no issues, and I think it's getting more accurate.

Last edited:

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Check out your trigger return spring and make sure it's in one piece.

After I ran one of my 34s about 18k rounds I had one fail... it would still fire but not reset the trigger 100% of the time.

Shouldn't happen on a new pistol..but hope this helps. :ingo:

Edit: it would still fire meaning after it broke it would not always leave the trigger not reset. Sometimes the slide inertia would be enough for it to "bounce" back. Shot only 7-8 rounds like this fyi.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wow, I've shot many many Glocks over the years and never had one strip in a new round, but not cock the trigger.
    Not even sure how that could physically happen or if it's even possible to duplicate, but sometimes I guess the seemingly impossible can happen.
    That's a head scratcher :scratch:

Disassemble, clean, lube, and run her again.
    If it does it again, there's got to be a faulty part inside the trigger housing.
    I wonder if the striker reset and was being held back by the internal safeties?
    Otherwise it would have fired the round or at least dimpled the primer a little when the slide went forward, right?
    How did the round look when you cleared the gun? Primer dimpled or not?
    Doesn't really sound like a typical ammo caused malfunction.
    Did you try doing a "tap/rack"??

My gen 5 has been perfect. 900 rounds, no cleaning, no lube, no issues, and I think it's getting more accurate.
    I cleaned and lubed it as soon as I got home as usual.
    No there was no impact mark on the primer at all.
    The pistol appeared to be fully in battery. I did smack the back of the slide to check.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recent years I have gotten into the habit of tearing any new or new to me gun down and doing a walk through. Clean and lube is usually needed but on some used ones depending on who owned them not so much.
    The "Like new in the box" pieces most always need attention.
    Look/clean/lube. Even a G****. They are all man made pieces.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I recent years I have gotten into the habit of tearing any new or new to me gun down and doing a walk through. Clean and lube is usually needed but on some used ones depending on who owned them not so much.

You're definitely NOT a fan of the G**** LOL!
    Good thing you're not a mod.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I always took my metal Sigs apart to grease the rails. But I didnt think that would be needed on a plastic gun. I didn't do it on the plastic Sigs...

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I don't do anything with a new pistol except load the mags and let it eat! If a malfunction happens then tap rap bang and hopefully that's it. After my first few mags I will spray some CLP on it and run a few more, then when done I will take it down and check it out. Not sure what your issue was Sir, glad it only happened the once.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Sounds like similar failures have occurred with them. Certainly doesn't give me a lot of confidence in carrying it. Well, like I said, if it is just a failure due to needing more lube, I oiled it up good after I cleaned it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    My guess would be the connector needs to be "diddled" (Harry's description not mine).. Could be a rough spot on the connector or it needs a little more tension. It almost takes a "perfect storm" of events to have this happen in an unmolested Glock but it's certainly possible. Not at all unusual on a molested Glock. Wish you were closer, I would be happy to diddle it for you. I diddled Harry's free but I enjoy diddling.:lmfao:
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Top Bottom