Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    thumbnail
    thumbnail
    thumbnail
    thumbnail

This is a gun from my youth (30 yrs. old) that I wish I'd kept: I just love small guns, and had a few 22s and 25s and I had a Baretta 25 pop-up barrel with a wood handle I wish I'd had the sense to have kept.

When I was talking with Bill (whom I have sold 3 guns to and bought 1 from and going to buy another), I was telling him about my love for pop-up barrels: he had one.
    You can get the Baretta 21 Bobcat for $400ish (+/-) and the Taurus PT 22 for about $220ish (+/-). (priced at Hoosier Armory, my benchmark)
    I would rather have a used Baretta and pay the same price as a new Taurus, and so that is what I did.

It is a Baretta Model 950 BS-.25, made in ACKK, MD

I was thrilled.
    Bill has had it for about 7 yrs.

When I sold Bill my S/W 64-7 this evening for $350, he brought along his Baretta we had discussed Sat. that I had shown interest in.
    Get ready for this, wait for it: he told me to take it to the range and make sure I really wanted it, and I could pay him later.
    Is that incredible or what.
    Now, for anyone that knows me, knows that I am honest to a fault, but for Bill, whom I have met 3 times before today (4th time) I was so honored that he felt he could trust me so: what a complement to my character!
    Hey, I'm a schoolteacher and I don't get alot of praise from the kids. :laugh:

On a side note, to let you know this isn't the first time something like this has happened, I once painted the Band Teacher's house one summer, but in the Fall he gave me his 1970 MG Midget (completely restored) as payment for the work I was going to do in the summer: 9 months away.
    Yes, it got done and the next summer I painted the inside of his house, but he had to pay me in cash, he didn't have another converible to pay me with. :dunno:

Back to guns.
    This gun is not a need, but it fills a "want" spot close to my heart for reasons I can't explain: going back to recapture a favorite gun from my youth!
    Fun, Fun, fun.

I enjoy holding it as much as any gun I have bought.
    Oh, the price is going to be $225.

He also is giving me some boxes of 25 caliber, and some left over boxes of 22 caliber from when he had his single action that I bought off him Saturday.
    We must have talked for over an hour where we met near my house (where we met Sat. as well).
    The man is a veritable storehouse of info, and he's into expert rifle shooting.
    It is amazing the affinity to can make with connecting with a person from such little contact, but, I'm an open book and a talker, and he is as well.
    I'd love spending range time with him: a good guy!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Make sure it's just a plinker. It's actually worse than a .22lr for self defense.

1. What??? I had read just the opposite. I know the 25 is a hair wider and not as long.
    2. If that is the case, I will put my sights on getting a 32 or a 22, b/c I will carry it as my backup.

What brand of gun did you buy ?

3. In the title: Baretta 950

Sweet deal. I remember telling a fellow at work about the old Ithaca 49 that was my first. He had one, and sold it to me for 100.00. What a great reminder of a simpler time.

4. It is so cool to have a gun at the old prices, when today they are so much more (than late 80s, for me), we all wish we would have kept more.
    5. The Colt Mustang 380 was a brilliant move since that was the only 1 of 2 guns that I kept out of 20; the other was a NAA single action 5 shot 22 magnum: a true gut gun
    (can't hit a 5 gallon bucket 10 feet away). :lmfao:

Last edited:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Great post! It's a reminder for me to go out and shoot my Beretta .25. With it's small size, it's a snappy little bugger! The sights are pretty much useless, but she shoots every time. I'll take that over a .22 for self defense every time, but neither are an optimal SD caliber.

Good Shootin'!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great post! It's a reminder for me to go out and shoot my Beretta .25. With it's small size, it's a snappy little bugger! The sights are pretty much useless, but she shoots every time. I'll take that over a .22 for self defense every time, but neither are an optimal SD caliber.

Good Shootin'!
    \

1. Nice to find someone who likes those "original" compacts.
    2. I kept my Colt Mustang 380 from 1990 b/c it was bigger than my little 22 and 25 calibers that I had, but now, compared to the "tiny" 380s that are available, it seems like a compact 9mm in size.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    doddg, that family owned company name, nearing it's 500th anniversary is Beretta. :D :D :D :D :D

Been a fan of their pistols for a long time, and have what I consider a fairly nice collection. The Bobcat is a nice plinker, but I would never carry one unless it was a back up for my backup. The problems are the rimfires are not that reliable especially with no extractor to make sure the fired round ejects. I know this problem first hand. The .25 centerfire is much more reliable, but might save you by just the fact that you have a hand gun pointed at someone. Granted any well placed round could kill, but the .25 is more likely to just **** off a large, well dressed attacker.

What the pop up barrel really has going for it is at the range for a person with little hand strength who can't pull back the slide reliably to chamber a round.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'm a big fan of the small pocket Berettas and have a nice little collection of them (a 418, a 950 Jetfire, 2 Bobcat 21s in .22 and .25, and a 3 Model 70s in .22, .32, and .380).

The 950 is slimmer than the Bobcat, but you lose the double action trigger in favor of single action. Both are fun to shoot. $225 is a frickin steal for one of these, particularly if that includes ammo too.

zR8H5MpYpGiHLpzPYHKo70xy5Nm4t7WJgKlyMcHGDiPuFvQtDbEoRSmFZkw33rDY-kmp94hD1KbUMd-jIrriNB6ZJu9PGEwzyID754vZ3XWdRzdbf-XFe7EU8ImjelzlyZgL6LAUNLhb44XEl2FMTYUvsANpKu8i6G4GaaKlCp9RsE4cGCKkC8nLl0RPeCyBqriFDadG_jZY60vjMgHA6mIFqbja3R6OCBuwAg_stAyY5kP0oQ20OtAPf8SIyqARl2yF7SrY72mYowpL6V3n1Dnz_bZmIJkf6CkexYkZRBGg2bSyX2brQcRQkPe3EKs6XgdKkPTcBAPXXFUaJ7dVx-fq3rR5Rj2hbUUQuqrNGvxZJ1eAnVRxOCR3zGX6UFwAyHdTCVqea6zuwW3SSiYO3rbX52-7BNYwRPkazHP7Ft-PdPrYe21Uok8xue-0L3AyATyZMDlqpdwHMfgVY99AyoOk1BL--Uc020nYZbiGez2MYCxq-kv8ANJtrSh2ngA__keKxGxs4DQ3THXi3tDhy0AMYKvBCDEa4D-YuzmLT_uT-fmVwwCP4uv5QEO7RdmEx_GF8ogpi_9hvFFWozMnZWn6ISI5_wZOOr3fwQl9_bFAYrOwdGuXdjTRVNg8H47hStDFvq-bU_aAdFqF8PGJxY1kTO2pRrjAQByF=w851-h638-no

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    If it is a steal, I would buy it and just plink with it from time to time. Or maybe a pocket gun for an emergency. He may have priced it cheap because there is most likely a limited market for the little .25 auto.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg, that family owned company name, nearing it's 500th anniversary is Beretta. :D :D :D :D :D

1. Oh crap! Another spelling error: not the first time. :dunno:

Been a fan of their pistols for a long time, and have what I consider a fairly nice collection. The Bobcat is a nice plinker, but I would never carry one unless it was a back up for my backup. The problems are the rimfires are not that reliable especially with no extractor to make sure the fired round ejects. I know this problem first hand. The .25 centerfire is much more reliable, but might save you by just the fact that you have a hand gun pointed at someone. Granted any well placed round could kill, but the .25 is more likely to just **** off a large, well dressed attacker.

2. I did a little research, and the difference between the 22 and 25 round seems minimal, but some dismiss the 25 over the 22LR: I don't have the technical background to appreciate the difference but here is what I found that I can understand:

3. In tests using the same grain ammo of Hornady Critical Defense fully copper jacketed Hollow points with both having either 35 or 36 grain:
    855'- 875'/second from the 22
    855-875'/second from the 25
    caliber.
    So close when comparing apples to apples in real life chronograph range test.

4. The test shots at 10 feet, both were accurate in headshots with the 25 being a hair better.
    In shooting a 2 liter of soda pop, the 25 and 22 were very similar (I personally thought the 25 was a hair better).

5. In a test shooting through a Pepsi can and 2 jugs of soda pop stacked in a row:
    Both went through all of them.

6. I'm leaning to the centerfire 25. Even though ammo is more expensive for 25 over 22, I'm not going to put many rounds through it anyway.

7. To sum up what I've read: From short barrels, the .25 is generally a little more powerful than .22 LR.

8. I saw a youtube test of shooting both through a 2x4 with a 1/2 gallon jug of water behind it.
    The shooter was 3' away.
    The 22LR did not go through the 2x4.
    The 25 went through the 2x4 and went into the water jug, but not through it: you could see it in the bottom.

To me that sums it up: I saw a real live test that seemed practical.
    I know: I've read where
    head shots did not penetrate the skull, so you will be no more than a Pepsi 2 liter assassin.

9. Next they shot through 6 gallon jugs in a row (6 inches thick each):
    The 22 went through 4 jugs, the bullet staying in the 4th gal. jug.
    T he 25 went through 4 jugs and put a dent in the 5th jug, but did not penetrate the 5th jug.

10. What the pop up/tilt barrel really has going for it is for a person with little hand strength who can't pull back the slide reliably to chamber a round.

11. Conclusion. If I could get a 32 I'd buy it, until then I'll be satisfied with the 25 over a 22, b/c I don't care about the cost of the shells.
    I have 3 other 22s for the
    range, and don't need a
    tip up barrel for 22 range shooting.
    12. At Hoosier Armory, a 32 Beretta used just sold for $300: missed my chance, but I will pay $225 and save $21/tax = $96 savings getting the 25 instead of the 32 Beretta.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it is a steal, I would buy it and just plink with it from time to time. Or maybe a pocket gun for an emergency. He may have priced it cheap because there is most likely a limited market for the little .25 auto.

1. Bill did not seem to care and said so more than once, but since I specifically mentioned wanting a tilt up barrel he brought it for me to see. I had one like it in 1990 with brown handles: don't remember whether wood or plastic.
    2. What I can't believe is that he let me not pay for it, take it, shot it with his shells, and return it if I didn't want it and decided it was not what I thought.
    3. The more I read about the tilt-up barrel Beretta: it's perfect for a conversation piece and minimal for a back up. :dunno:
    4. Since he has bought 3 guns off me and I have bought 2 off him, and we obviously trust each other, it will be interesting to see if we buy/sell anythinig to each other in the future.
    5. When he mentioned having a full size 9mm for a great price I thought I might pick it up in the future but I bought the Shield 45 the next day: it will have to do. :laugh:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've only ever shot a 25 once and at 10ft it bounced off a 55 gallon steel drum, leaving a small dent. My 22lr's go right thru both sides. I personally would use a 22lr for personal protection over a 25 any day of the week, but like i said only shot a 25 once and maybe there is some ammo for it that is better now than the roughly 10 years since i fired it. Personally i wouldn't trust a 22lr with my life and thats why i carry either 9mm or 45acp, but as a plinker the 25 may be fun for some. Just my :twocents:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've only ever shot a 25 once and at 10ft it bounced off a 55 gallon steel drum, leaving a small dent. My 22lr's go right thru both sides. I personally would use a 22lr for personal protection over a 25 any day of the week, but like i said only shot a 25 once and maybe there is some ammo for it that is better now than the roughly 10 years since i fired it. Personally i wouldn't trust a 22lr with my life and thats why i carry either 9mm or 45acp, but as a plinker the 25 may be fun for some. Just my :twocents:

1. I appreciate your input, and it does cloud the issue.
    2. In the tests I read about, many times they were comparing 22s being fired from rifles to the small barrelled 25: not apples to apples.
    3. If your ammo was the same grain or however it is measured in both 22 and 225 (35/36 grains in the test with the soda/water bottles), I don't get it??!!
    4. Just when I think I got it figured out: another real life example.
    5. My theory (based on a couple of hours of research,:dunno: is that the small bullet at the sameish velocity could penetrate the steel drum, whereas the slightly wider 25 shell could not for that reason: wider. Or, the 25 was slower.
    6. Same concept as why in snow tires you want a narrower tire for pounds per square inch of tire grip being more with less surface digging in the snow of a narrower tire. :coffee:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Anytime you're shooting a bullet from a short barrel, results will not be the same as fired from guns with longer barrels.
    If I were given the choice between a .22lr and a .25acp for personal defense, I would take the .22lr for a few reasons, a couple of which would be cheaper ammo, and more mag capacity. You could load a .22lr with Stingers, Vipers, or Yellow Jackets for self defense. And because of cheaper ammo, you would probably practice more with it. Also in a SHTF scenario you can hunt with a .22lr more effectively than a .25acp.
    A good example is the 5.7x28, when fired out of a 16in barreled PS90 it has terminal ballistics, when fired from the FN 5.7 pistol with a 4in barrel, it becomes very close to a .22 Magnum.

I have looked into this in depth, which is why I will never buy a 5.7 pistol. At one time the pistol that holds 20 rounds (standard mag) was the selling point.
    But with modern 9MM's, you can have 18 rounds in your Glock. And in a pistol situation, I would much rather have the 9MM than a 5.7 pistol.
    Some of the same reason cited above, mostly cost, 9MM is much cheaper than 5.7.

Just my opinion for what it's worth, which probably isn't much :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Anytime you're shooting a bullet from a short barrel, results will not be the same as fired from guns with longer barrels.
    If I were given the choice between a .22lr and a .25acp for personal defense, I would take the .22lr for a few reasons, a couple of which would be cheaper ammo, and more mag capacity. You could load a .22lr with Stingers, Vipers, or Yellow Jackets for self defense. And because of cheaper ammo, you would probably practice more with it. Also in a SHTF scenario you can hunt with a .22lr more effectively than a .25acp.
    A good example is the 5.7x28, when fired out of a 16in barreled PS90 it has terminal ballistics, when fired from the FN 5.7 pistol with a 4in barrel, it becomes very close to a .22 Magnum.

I have looked into this in depth, which is why I will never buy a 5.7 pistol. At one time the pistol that holds 20 rounds (standard mag) was the selling point.
    But with modern 9MM's, you can have 18 rounds in your Glock. And in a pistol situation, I would much rather have the 9MM than a 5.7 pistol.
    Some of the same reason cited above, mostly cost, 9MM is much cheaper than 5.7.

Just my opinion for what it's worth, which probably isn't much :)

1. Not at all, I value input of others who are years ahead of me in research and experience: truly!
    2. I have bought guns before and wished I had done better research and something else comes along I'd rather have, which could happen with this b/c I'd rather have the 32, but I'm buying this for a price I feel I can sell it ($225) if I find a 32, like the one that sold for $300 at Hoosier Armory recently.
    3. B/C of the use of the Beretta, it won't be a range gun, I have others to shoot, and after seeing the live comparisons between use of the 22 and 25 with the 22 not going through the 2x4 and the 25 going through the 2x4 and a water jug of two behind the 2x4: I'm Ok with it.
    4. I could even pick up a 22LR Beretta or Taurus in the future and test them out myself just for fun.

Top Bottom