• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    to keep my Kimber Micro Raptor 9mm company.

I just reviewed a few threads about the LCR 9mm. Quite frankly, the opinions are all over the map. Some sound reasonable, some do not. I'm going to rely on my over 60 years of shooting to form my own opinion.

Two possible problems as I see it. Bullets moving forward and jamming the gun. Original sights might be shooting low.

The first problem is not the fault of the gun. I will be using standard non +P, 124 gr loads, Gold Dot, Hydra-Shocks, and Fiocchi JHP for starters. Cheap steel case ammo is out. I will be measuring the fifth overall cartridge length after firing four. No movement in decent defense loads is the goal.

Front sight will be changed if needed with the best load.

No need to tell me I've made a mistake! I've had three J frame Smiths, all 'hammerless' and this LCR has the smoothest double action pull of any of them. The grip is ok. The weight is ok. The word 'snappiness' is not in my vocabulary as I have no problem with recoil . I also see no need for +P loads in 9mm, either in the Kimber or the LCR. I have a Security Six for magnum loads and a Sig 320 .40 for in between.

After a good trial, I might post my finding here. However, remember it would be my opinion and you know just like something else, every body has one.

At my age, I trust my own opinion, right or wrong .LOL.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Sounds good OP! I always thought the idea of a revolver, chambered in 9mm, would be handy. That way, I would not have to invest in another caliber of ammo. :twocents:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    to keep my Kimber Micro Raptor 9mm company.

I just reviewed a few threads about the LCR 9mm. Quite frankly, the opinions are all over the map. Some sound reasonable, some do not. I'm going to rely on my over 60 years of shooting to form my own opinion.

Two possible problems as I see it. Bullets moving forward and jamming the gun. Original sights might be shooting low.

The first problem is not the fault of the gun. I will be using standard non +P, 124 gr loads, Gold Dot, Hydra-Shocks, and Fiocchi JHP for starters. Cheap steel case ammo is out. I will be measuring the fifth overall cartridge length after firing four. No movement in decent defense loads is the goal.

Front sight will be changed if needed with the best load.

No need to tell me I've made a mistake! I've had three J frame Smiths, all 'hammerless' and this LCR has the smoothest double action pull of any of them. The grip is ok. The weight is ok. The word 'snappiness' is not in my vocabulary as I have no problem with recoil . I also see no need for +P loads in 9mm, either in the Kimber or the LCR. I have a Security Six for magnum loads and a Sig 320 .40 for in between.

After a good trial, I might post my finding here. However, remember it would be my opinion and you know just like something else, every body has one.

At my age, I trust my own opinion, right or wrong .LOL.

1. Yes, the reading I've done about the LCR with it's trigger and even the "absorbing" design (of recoil) has made2 me wonder if I should sell my Smith 642 hammerless that I use for CC and get one.
    2. I would love to test one at the range but they don't have one at either of the ranges I go to.
    3. I have a Ruger LCRx (lightweight 38 5 shot 3" barrel) that I love to compare to my Smith 64-8 6 shot 4" barrel (weighs x2 more+) because I don't know which I'll keep for Home Defense. I could possibly carry the Ruger sometimes, but with my 642, why bother: both are lightweight and 5 shot, and the 642 is smaller for carrying anyway.
    4. Plus, I just love the 64-8 Smith. I love revolvers!:dunno:

geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2016
    NE Indiana
    As to recoil, that is always subjective. I've not shot the LCR yet but I would suggest that your wife try before buy. My insight would mean nothing. I had a Smith 442 and didn't mind the recoil and it was lighter than the LCR but that's just me.

Unless you want a better double action pull, stick with the Smith. Smith's are quality guns.

Top Bottom