• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can't say enough about Chris, owner of Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield.
    I bought a used Taurus 709 Slim from him about 3 months ago for $180 b/c I was buying a bevy of small 9mms (and renting at the range) to see what I wanted for a CC. (I could have bought a Shield 9mm with 2 hosters and extra mags and more for $280 and should have b/c I bought one later for that price w/o the extras :wallbash:)
    At the range, it would have an issue nearly every magazine almost.
    Not acceptable.

I would not have bought it to begin with b/c of the knocks against Taurus here, but Chris assured me that his experience with Taurus warranty had been good, even getting new guns back for customers in 2 weeks when there were bad issues.
    2 months later: nothing.

He called and Taurus gave him the runaround weeks back.
    He told them they were still making this gun so go down to the assembly line and get the parts or send me a new one.
    He told me if they hadn't made it right in 2 weeks he would simply refund my money.

Monday he spent 45 minutes on hold with Taurus.
    When he did get to them he let them know he had sold 200 Tauruses and they had in the past done admirably with their warranty.
    He also told them he would stop selling the Taurus, like he did with another manufacturer (that I won't mention) after this poor treatment.
    He had called me before lunch to tell me of this experience and said to come in to get my money.
    I have my $180 plus tax.

Needless to say, I will buy another gun off him whenever I can.
    In fact, he has sold 2 different Colt 1911-22 recently and I really wanted either one, but I had already bought a Sig, and I would have sold it and got the Colt, but I had to spend $100 making the Sig what it was supposed to be when I bought it, therefore turning my fantastic $200 gun buy into a $300 retail gun buy.
    I don't buy retail. (OK, I broke down and did for my $600 Ruger GP100 .22, b/c it went on sale, marked down from $630 :laugh:).

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Taurus. Myself I've never had a problem with a Taurus and I have 5 of them. Although my Judge was sent back before I bought it because of problems extracting the spent shell, it has worked fine for me.
    Good to hear you have a dealer who will take care of any problems for you, that means a lot.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I am disappointed to hear that Taurus CS is not what it used to be. In the past, I have had very good experiences with the Taurus CS. I guess all things are good, till they are not.:dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I am puzzled about Taurus since they have done so well in the past making things right, according to Chris, at Marksman.
    It's like they are under new management and they are doing it on the cheap, and have laid off alot of the good people who made it work.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have seen the Taurus 709 Slim for $179 and $159 in the past 2 days at Point Blank Range and Palmetto. :dunno:
    2. Sounds like it's a good thing a got my money refunded instead of having to sell it. (I paid $179 back in the Spring).

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    So you bought a used 709 slim for $180 3 months ago? They have been new for $179 online all summer. Taurus should have took care of it but being that you bought it used could it possibly have been abused by previous owner. Did you clean it regularly? Some of my friends say their guns went to junk performance all of a sudden and I show them you got to clean them sometimes and they act like they don't how to clean them or they are too lazy to do it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So you bought a used 709 slim for $180 3 months ago? They have been new for $179 online all summer. Taurus should have took care of it but being that you bought it used could it possibly have been abused by previous owner. Did you clean it regularly? Some of my friends say their guns went to junk performance all of a sudden and I show them you got to clean them sometimes and they act like they don't how to clean them or they are too lazy to do it.

0. $179 plus shipping to an FFL and paying for a transfer would add $$, which is why I only buy local. I did buy new off of Cabelas, but there was no shipping from their WV warehouse or paying for an FFL fee.
    1. Bought it, took it to the range, never entered in my mind to take it and clean it first.
    2. So, as with your inference, perhaps it was all my fault.
    3. I have never bought a gun where I couldn't use it w/o stipping it down and cleaning it first: total novice.
    4. In the future, I will do exactly that.
    5. I bought a Beretta 25 nearly a couple of weeks ago and took it to the range before cleaning: no issue, but I will clean it before its next trip after 223 Gunner gave me some cleaning lessons at the house last Friday.
    6. Lesson learned.
    6. I bought a Taurus 22 tilt-up barrel this week, but I will clean it first before I hit the range.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    The Midwest Gun Exchange ad showing them at 159.99 piqued my interest even if only used as a garage gun while I'm reloading or out in the garage with the doors open.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    0. $179 plus shipping to an FFL and paying for a transfer would add $$, which is why I only buy local. I did buy new off of Cabelas, but there was no shipping from their WV warehouse or paying for an FFL fee.
    1. Bought it, took it to the range, never entered in my mind to take it and clean it first.
    2. So, as with your inference, perhaps it was all my fault.
    3. I have never bought a gun where I couldn't use it w/o stipping it down and cleaning it first: total novice.
    4. In the future, I will do exactly that.
    5. I bought a Beretta 25 nearly a couple of weeks ago and took it to the range before cleaning: no issue, but I will clean it before its next trip after 223 Gunner gave me some cleaning lessons at the house last Friday.
    6. Lesson learned.
    6. I bought a Taurus 22 tilt-up barrel this week, but I will clean it first before I hit the range.

The places I referenced online were free shipping and no sales tax so I would gladly pay the extra $25 FFL difference for a new gun versus a used one.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The places I referenced online were free shipping and no sales tax so I would gladly pay the extra $25 FFL difference for a new gun versus a used one.

1. Absolutely! Didn't know about all the places online where you could buy at so good a price, until someone here put me onto Cabelas who was selling the Smith 642 for $300, which was cheaper that used prices anywhere by $100-$150, or even more.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am disappointed to hear that Taurus CS is not what it used to be. In the past, I have had very good experiences with the Taurus CS. I guess all things are good, till they are not.:dunno:
    In my experience, experience with CS is a bad thing. I got to know Taurus CS well, which is why I'll NEVER own another.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow up on the returned Taurus 709 Slim that was returned to Taurus by Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports.
    He refunded my money after a couple of months (I didn't reread all the boring details of the thread :laugh:).
    He still hasn't received the gun back, and it's been 5 or 6 months.
    He has called a few times about it and now they won't even take his calls.
    He said that they have stolen it from him. :dunno:
    This is certainly a different story than what I read about Charter Arms online in a thread from a young man in another gun club.
    He called up Charter Arms about driving over to their factory (75 miles from where he lived) to have some warranty work done on a gun.
    He said the President of the company (don't remember his name), while he waited for them to do the work (as previously arranged if he drove over), took him on a tour and introduced him and talked with employees (all 30ish yrs. old, a young crown it seemed), and he was very very impressed.
    When he asked about the guns there for warranty work, the President showed him a cabinet where they were and when the young man asked is that all of them, the President said yes, they don't get many returns, and noone is even assigned full-time to process them since it's not a full-time job for them.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Chris is a stand up guy. My dealings with him have echoed yours. He always goes above and beyond what most shops will to make things right. That sucks he is still eating this loss.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have a Taurus 1911 S S. I purchased it used at F.W. gun show. It functioned good.
    After I fired it. It felt loose to me but functioned OK.
    I called Taurus. Taurus sent me a prepaid mailer.
    I have now shot it at several IDPA matches.
    Function great every time and feel just as good.

I also have Judge 3". I shot colts several times.
    What a recoil kick.
    At Second Amendment Range in New Carlisle In.
    Paul said I could shoot 410s.
    At 30 feet it shot a good pattern.
    D-mn it kicks more than my 357 Rhino.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Sounds like every experience I've ever had with Taurus. Of the 3 Taurus firearms I've owned, all three had to make a trip back for service. Of those 3 serviced guns, only 2 made it back to me after many months of waiting, and the 1 was replaced by Taurus with a new gun since they said the did not have the parts to fix it.

Needless to say, I DO NOT buy Taurus products anymore.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    My Wife had a Taurus 709 slim for about a year, although she never had any problems with it i always hated the thought of her needing to save her life and that gun not be there for her. To me it felt cheaply made, not saying there are not good 200$ guns out there, but the Taurus i don't think was it.

She usually carries her Glock 30 45 but at times she found it more difficult to conceal. That is why she purchased the Taurus, then she handled a Sig 938 and she liked it. I traded her Taurus and bought her the Sig 938, she has shot many many rounds through this gun and has carried it alot it is very accurate for a small gun.

But the Sig was 600$ also but i feel a lot better, the gun is very well made and i dont worry as much when she is out alone she is a hell of a shooter she will hit what she is pointing at lol. Anyway not bashing Taurus they are a decent 200$ gun just not for me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Chris is a stand up guy. My dealings with him have echoed yours. He always goes above and beyond what most shops will to make things right. That sucks he is still eating this loss.

1. I called Chris up and read what you'd said just to make his day! :yesway:
    2. He really appreciated it!

Top Bottom