Found another gun tucked away in dads junk. Supermatic citation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Got another box open from dads collection of everything he ever owned. He was somewhat of a horder. Luckily he had a hand book listing MOST of the guns he left behind (where did you stash that kimber .45 pops?). Me and my brother however know quite a few werent listed. Anyways, we got one of his various boxes unlocked and boop. A supermatic citation. Lots of surface rust. Just sitting down to clean her up now. Excited about this one. Heres a few pics. Note the interesting checkering on the front and rear strap. Very cool, looks like a space gun. Usually id be asking for answers such as accuracy and value but, today i think ill keep this one.

Heres some pics.

http://i65.tinypic.com/29gh10y.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/243ervd.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/10p0v3r.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've had good luck with the method Greg is describing, wouldn't consider Ceracoat on something unless it was pretty well trashed out finish wise. It's a good finish in it's place, but your gun looks much too good to go there.

I have a picture of a Colt 1903 over 100 years old that was cleaned up with wool and oil posted under Rams Horn Grips.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    NO CERACOTE! It's a piece of history...have it re-blued if you want but from what I've seen in the pics the 'rust' on the front strap passes for a decent job of stippling on a glock. If you paint it someone in your future will just have to fix it again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Hm.. i think ill hit up some YouTube tutorials and give the bronze a run. I was thinking id make a little owb holster so i pulled out an old one i built awhile ago for my 1911 to see if i could use the same template. Oddly enough it fits pretty well. And sense its only going to be a woods gun i might get away with using it. What do you guys think? Look a little to derpy?

http://i67.tinypic.com/5f45jq.jpg

GregD

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Hm.. i think ill hit up some YouTube tutorials and give the bronze a run. I was thinking id make a little owb holster so i pulled out an old one i built awhile ago for my 1911 to see if i could use the same template. Oddly enough it fits pretty well. And sense its only going to be a woods gun i might get away with using it. What do you guys think? Look a little to derpy?

http://i67.tinypic.com/5f45jq.jpg

Just remember, a lot of oil and very light pressure on the wool.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    NO CERACOTE! It's a piece of history...have it re-blued if you want but from what I've seen in the pics the 'rust' on the front strap passes for a decent job of stippling on a glock. If you paint it someone in your future will just have to fix it again.
    Believe it or not, I think you hit the nail on the head. That was once a fairly common "modification". Generally done with a prick punch. It was to improve the grip. I always thought it was horrid.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The holster don't look bad at all. Those holsters are really tough the blueing and IMO it would really hurt the condition after cleaning up the rust. I'll bet that is accurate.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Nice find! As others have stated, clean it up the best you can get it. Please do not have any kind of coatings applied to it, it will ruin it and most defiantly devalue it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    The holster don't look bad at all. Those holsters are really tough the blueing and IMO it would really hurt the condition after cleaning up the rust. I'll bet that is accurate.

Yeah the holster would certainly tear it up, i didnt line the inside with anything but itll probably only see holster time a few times a year. I havent shot it yet but the trigger is insane. Best ive felt so far, not that im an expert or anything. Im really loving this gun so far. I cant wait to shoot it a bit. The bore is perfect

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    there was one for sale at a gunshow the guy wanted 550.00 for it, but its not fluted, and its a beautiful gun, i got home and looked it up on gunbroker, and they sell for 650 and up!(yes it was a supermatic citation).....wish i had 550.00!

nice gun to add to your collection!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have the twin of that one. When you take it out and shoot it, you will be impressed, it is the closest shooting handgun in my safe. I don't love the mechanics (be careful on disassembly, tiny springs can jump out on removal of the grip panels) but it is a real shooter.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    The front strap is factory stippled -not rust use some KROIL and bronze wool.let the gun soak in KROIL and VERY light pressure with the wool the gun looks wonderful the way it is.
    That gun was not designed for a holster. In it's day it was a top of the line target competitors gun

tetter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    United States
    I have one of these, but wiht the 5" barrel. Very nice. Mine had a bit of rust on the front strap stippling as well--I just rubbed some oil into it. I think enough people have talked about this, but I wouldn't get it refinished, especially with cerakote etc. Nice find.

Top Bottom