• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I decided to do a review and comparison of 6 380 pocket guns. Why these 6 guns? Simple, it's the 6 that I either already own or could borrow for the review. I did my best to be impartial and fair in the review and testing.

These are the 6 guns I will be comparing in no particular order:

20171006_193240_3041.jpg

Top Left: Taurus TCP
    Barrel Length 2.84 inches Magazine capacity 6 Weight 10.2oz Slide lock back YES
    Pros: Decent trigger, Longest barrel
    Cons: This gun is difficult for me to disassemble

Top Right: Beretta Pico
    Barrel Length 2.7 inches Magazine capacity 6 Weight 11.5oz Slide lock back YES
    Pros: Thinnest of the group, Good Sights, Decent Trigger
    Cons: Magazine release is odd, Heaviest of the pistols tested, Sights are not low profile

Middle Left: Ruger LCP Gen 1
    Barrel Length 2.75 inches Magazine capacity 6 Weight 9.4oz Slide lock back Manual Only
    Pros: It's been on the market a long time
    Cons: With the LCP 2 redesign why buy this one?

Middle Right: Ruger LCP 2
    Barrel Length 2.75 inches Magazine capacity 6 Weight 10.6oz Slide lock back YES
    Pros: Best Trigger of the group by far, Has a trigger safety, Refined feel
    Cons: Second heaviest of the group

Lower Left: Kel-Tec P3AT
    Barrel Length 2.75 inches Magazine Capacity 6 Weight 8.3oz Slide lock back NO
    Pros: Lightest gun tested, been on the market a long time
    Cons: Rough trigger

Lower Right: IO Hellcat
    Barrel Length 2.75 inches Magazine Capacity 6 Weight 9.4oz Slide lock back NO
    Pros: None
    Cons: Worst trigger of the group, seems "clunky" rattles when you shake it, Not considered a successful design

On to the testing:

I shot each gun six times at a target plate placed 5 yards away. I understand that these are not target/range guns. They are designed to be carried in a pocket and used for self defense at short distances so I thought 5 yards seemed reasonable. I only had two issues shooting the guns. The first was a FTF while shooting the IO Hellcat. The other was with the LCP 2. The trigger on the LCP 2 is in a whole different world as the other guns. After dealing with the other triggers when I went to fire the LCP 2 the first time it created a flyer because the trigger broke well before I was ready. I decided to disallow that test. Got a new target and restarted.

Here are the results:

20171007_103957.jpg

20171007_103916.jpg

20171007_104015.jpg

20171007_104129.jpg

20171007_104159.jpg

20171007_104146.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I thought that 5 of the 6 guns that I tested performed well enough to get the job done. The only one I would not recommend is the IO Hellcat based on the testing and my experience with it. If I had to rank the six guns I would put the Ruger LCP 2 at the top of the list. It easily has the best trigger and I think that shows looking at the target shooting test results. I would put the Beretta Pico, Taurus TCP and Ruger LCP in the middle of the pack somewhere. Second to last would be the Kel-Tec P3AT and easily in last place is the IO Hellcat.

Disclaimer:

I am not a firearms "expert". I do not work for any firearms manufacturers or sell firearms for a living. Some of this is purely my own opinion. I shoot handguns about every two weeks and am an average shot with them at best. Your results shooting these guns may vary from mine. YMMV etc....

Last edited:

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I like my Kahr CT380 for the pocket, but I also have a Sig P230 which is, IMHO, the finest 380 out there.

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I currently have one .380 handgun, which is a Sig P238. The only gun I can compare it to on your list is the LCP. The Sig is twice as heavy, but the felt recoil is much less. The trigger on the Sig is light years ahead of the LCP. The down side is the Sig costs nearly three times what a Ruger does. Unless recoil is what leads you to carrying a .380, I would suggest stepping up to a Sig P938. Same size gun, but packs a lot more punch.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I would like to do a comparison of the SIG P938, Glock 43, Kahr CW9 and XDS someday. Maybe throw in a Beretta Nano and Kel-Tec PF-9 just for kicks.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would like to do a comparison of the SIG P938, Glock 43, Kahr CW9 and XDS someday. Maybe throw in a Beretta Nano and Kel-Tec PF-9 just for kicks.

1. Love this sort of thing: it's what I did buying multiple 9mm trying to find: the one.
    2. My best friend (lives out of state) was here overnight and had a Kahr CW9 that he utterly loves and says it never misfires.
    3. He loved my Shield 9 and especially 45, and even wanted to also buy my Sig 1911-22, but a big no from me. He said why? I said b/c these are the ones I wanted but would sell the 45 when I'm done playing with it. He made fun of my Beretta 25 and Taurus 22 tilt-up barrels, and I told him he had good company, but I like what I like and for back up it's fine.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't shoot many modern guns, it's good to see people take the time to post up info on them. Things like the target grouping and function are good info.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Great test. I pocket carried a Ruger LCP 2 most of the time this summer. I always shoot at least on mag thru it when at the range to keep myself acquainted. Indeed a great little gun for what is is intended.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Great review Wolfhound! I've only owned one .380 pocket gun - a Diamondback DB380. I really liked it. A buddy had a Ruger LCP and we both felt the DB was much nicer to shoot. The early ones had some issues (as did my original one) but they replaced it with an updated design (3 trigger pins instead of 2) and it was great after that. I sometimes miss that little gun. Mostly got rid of it because .380 ammo was so expensive back then (about 40-50 cents a round IIRC).

PaulKersey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    Evansville
    I agree with several others - Great job on the review! Very informative. I owned a P3AT several years ago, and it was so unreliable that it turned me against Keltec products generally. I own a gun that is not on the list - a S&W M&P Bodyguard- and I have found it to be 100% reliable, very accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Thanks for the review. I think about a .380 occasionally (usually when I see the Mustangs in the Colt display) but have resisted so far.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Thanks for doing the review and posting the results. Most of the guns mentioned in other posts (Kahr, Bersa, etc.) aren't in the same class - they're larger and not as convenient for discreet pocket carry.

I've owned the TCP, LCP, and LCP II. I liked the TCP the best, except that it was never reliable, even after multiple trips back to Taurus. An unreliable pocket gun is just a paperweight that can get you killed. I recently sold my LCP and got the LCP II. I like the trigger safety and lock-open features, and the grip is improved. The LCP would still be a good choice for someone on a tight budget - since a new one can be found on sale for under $200, it should be possible to get a used one for $150 or less.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Thanks for the kind words. I collect surplus rifles so most of my gun budget goes towards that. My handguns are mostly mid to low budget guns. I think a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard would have been a good match for the test but I just don't have access to one. Same with the DB380.

Thanks for doing the review and posting the results. Most of the guns mentioned in other posts (Kahr, Bersa, etc.) aren't in the same class - they're larger and not as convenient for discreet pocket carry.

I've owned the TCP, LCP, and LCP II. I liked the TCP the best, except that it was never reliable, even after multiple trips back to Taurus. An unreliable pocket gun is just a paperweight that can get you killed. I recently sold my LCP and got the LCP II. I like the trigger safety and lock-open features, and the grip is improved. The LCP would still be a good choice for someone on a tight budget - since a new one can be found on sale for under $200, it should be possible to get a used one for $150 or less.

I like my Taurus TCP. I must have been lucky and got a good one. I have never had issues with it but I see that many have had problems with them. Same with the Kel-Tec P3AT. The IO Hellcat is a different story. It has always been a disappointment. I have yet to hear from someone with a Hellcat that runs good.

Top Bottom