• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Pretend that I have an older M&P FS 9mm...with only an Apex sear as an internal/guts-related upgrade.

Also pretend that I have a new-ish M&P 2.0 FS 9mm...bone stock.

Which should I have modified for an RMR should I ever theoretically have something like that and the money to do so?

My initial thoughts were to have the work done on the 2.0. But then I may or may not have realized that I grip/control the 2.0 better while shooting - and may keep that "stock" as a carry gun. That means I could have the older one machined and kept as a range toy.

Thoughts? Opinions?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Oooo, that's a tough one. If you are not planning to carry it, I would say put it on your old one. You are probably really going to like that 2.0. Anybody whose opinion means anything to me really likes them. My wife wants the compact, and I am a little afraid I am going to dig it a lot.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Oooo, that's a tough one. If you are not planning to carry it, I would say put it on your old one. You are probably really going to like that 2.0. Anybody whose opinion means anything to me really likes them. My wife wants the compact, and I am a little afraid I am going to dig it a lot.

Think you’d dig it enough to replace your G19?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Think you’d dig it enough to replace your G19?

Too early to tell yet for me (one range trip), but thinking that way myself (2.0 Compact replacing G19 and a lot of investment in the Glock platform, as carry gun)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I am (hypothetically, of course) leaning towards modifying the older one...

I'd presumably transfer my new night-sights to the 2.0... Get new suppressor height sights for the old one... Have the pocket cut in FRONT of the rear dove-tail... Have some rear slide serrations enhanced for better grip... And a refinish. I may put the Apex sear into the 2.0. Maybe.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Mod the older M&P. Leave the 2.0 stock or lightly modified as a carry gun.

I really dig the 2.0 compact. They have one down here at my local shop and I was impressed. If I had coin to waste I would buy it just so I could try it at the range. Oh and I like the Gen5 Glock as well. Darn plastic guns.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Mod the older M&P. Leave the 2.0 stock or lightly modified as a carry gun.

I really dig the 2.0 compact. They have one down here at my local shop and I was impressed. If I had coin to waste I would buy it just so I could try it at the range. Oh and I like the Gen5 Glock as well. Darn plastic guns.

If you sold your 1911’s, then you could afford to upgrade to the plastic guns.

Just sayin’:)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have not had my hands on a 2.0 but can you clear the loaded chamber indicator on the 2.0 With RMR?
    I know they don't sell 2.0 pre cut

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I had the same dilemma. I really like the M&P 2.0. But I am already heavily invested in the Glock platform. I ended up trading an RIA 1911 for a Gen 4 G19 that was in very good shape....so I guess I am sticking with the with Glock platform.

However, if I was starting from scratch today, I think I would go the M&P 2.0 platform route. I do think the 2.0 is a pretty sizable improvement.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have not had my hands on a 2.0 but can you clear the loaded chamber indicator on the 2.0 With RMR?
    I know they don't sell 2.0 pre cut

M&P 2.0 loaded chamber indicator is just a cut where you can see brass I believe (at least the "non-compliant" models). It's not a raised bar, etc. At least that is the way my 2.0 Compact is.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    M&P 2.0 loaded chamber indicator is just a cut where you can see brass I believe (at least the "non-compliant" models). It's not a raised bar, etc. At least that is the way my 2.0 Compact is.

Gotcha, I carry the first gen CORE with a RMR and thought it was odd that they dont do a 2.0
    I wouldnt mind upgrading despite being very happy with the 1st gen.

To the OP I would do the 2.0 since they aren't availible from S&W.
    plus the first gen will drop in resale value

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Gotcha, I carry the first gen CORE with a RMR and thought it was odd that they dont do a 2.0
    I wouldnt mind upgrading despite being very happy with the 1st gen.

To the OP I would do the 2.0 since they aren't availible from S&W.
    plus the first gen will drop in resale value

Gen 1 will drop in value which is why that is the one I would modify. A person never gets their money back out of the mods if they decide to sell. Keep the 2.0 stock for carry and/or resell if necessary. Just make the Gen1 what you want and keep it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I like the shooting/grip dynamics of the 2.0 better than I do the 1.0. And I'm pretty OK with shooting the 1.0.

I don't have the time nor funds nor location to practice enough to think I could actually carry an RMR'd gun.

I am indeed leaning towards modding the 1.0 as a range gun and for potential night-stand use.

Plus, my 1.0 has also had the frame Cerakoated to Magpul FDE by Havlin's Firearm Finishing (Continual thanks to Squirt239!) in order to match my Magpul FDE'd 870. Everyone needs a hobby, right?

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Top Bottom