• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Started shooting this May with .22lr target pistols. August I shot 50 rounds with a Glock 19, recoil was not fun, trigger pinched my finger. Bought a Browning 1911-380 a month ago, shot 200 rounds so far through it. Recoil is significantly more than the .22lr's, but not bad. This last weekend went to a friend's place to shoot with others, had a great time. Shot a Kahr .380, no issue at all even though I could not get my pinky on the grip. Shot a Remington R1 Enhanced .45 ACP and it too was fun, recoil barely more than my 1911-380. Then shot a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite, seemed like there was no recoil at all. I was even hitting what I aimed at with the Kahr and Remington. This is all getting to be more fun! :-)

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    In all honesty, unless you have a disability or issues with hand strength, the recoil shouldn't be bad on a G19, or any semi-full framed 9mm for that matter. Of course it will be more if you're used to .22 pistols. I would suggest taking a class from a reputable instructor. I've seen women who weren't much over 100 pounds rock a .38 Super like it was their job. It's all technique.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It helps to have a proper grip. I see you're from my area. If you can, go to Midwest Gun and range on Monday night. Romain Yoder gives a basic shooting lesson and he will personally help you with any issues you have. Take your Browning, a couple hundred rounds of ammo and a holster. You will be very surprised at what you will learn.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Part of it was hand size, I could not hold the Glock properly, to make a straight line from the muzzle, along the slide, along my arm. I had the gun canted in my hand so my finger could reach the trigger. The .22's, my Browning, the Kahr, and the Remington .45 were all single stack and I had no problem holding the gun correctly.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Part of it was hand size, I could not hold the Glock properly, to make a straight line from the muzzle, along the slide, along my arm. I had the gun canted in my hand so my finger could reach the trigger. The .22's, my Browning, the Kahr, and the Remington .45 were all single stack and I had no problem holding the gun correctly.

Don't feel like the "lone ranger", g----s, don't fit me either .....

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Don't feel like the "lone ranger", g----s, don't fit me either .....

Same here. Too sharp of an angle into the trigger guard. I wish it didn't bug me so much because G----s are great but it does.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have the opposite problem having big hands and for me shooting the Kahr 380 is brutal, I just can't seem to use a grip to make it fun. Glocks without the finger grooves work great for me. All of us are different so use what works for you. I like learning new stuff enough though I am getting old.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    OP, sounds like you are progressing well. Most new shooters go down a similar path. What is uncomfortable when first encountered can be quite fun later on after more experience has been gained. If you liked the size of the G19, but not the overall feel of the grip, try to rent a CZ P10C some time. It's arguably a better pistol than the Glock and has fantastic ergonomics. Glocks are great pistols, but they are not the most ergonomic ones out there.

Top Bottom