First handgun for my son - advice on make and model?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My son will too soon be 18, and for the first time is showing interest in a handgun. In fact, just today he told me that for his birthday he'd like a handgun. He's always shot rifles and shotguns, he's familiar with the four rules, and I'm familiar with IC 35-10-7.

He has big, meaty paws - 6'3, 250 on a light day. He's a big teddy bear.

I'm thinking a wheel gun for the relative simplicity of operation, and I'm thinking .22 caliber for shooting on the cheap and low recoil.

I like the Ruger LCR 22. Any other suggestions??

Budget: $400 negotiable, lower is better.
    Use: Range, home defense.
    Experience with calibers: .22, 9mm.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When my sons turned 18 I just asked them what they wanted, one picked a Glock, the other a SW model 19.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Budget? Use? Experience with Calibers?

Looking back, I would have wanted my first pistol to have been a 1911.

It was an H&R 22 Model 930 revolver - not a special memory! lol Still have it though.

Today's 18 year old might be thinking a G____k.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Buy him the gun LEO's carry and shoot. The one that is most popular with the most factory and aftermarket accessories. The one that he will never have any issues finding competitively priced new and used mags, gear and related accessories for. The one that he will have no trouble selling the gun or gear, if he goes another direction.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    .22 wheel gun, Heritage, Single Action .....

6 shot, ;oading gate, just like the "Cowboys" .....

And a Henry, to match .....

If they weren't so EXPENSIVE, I would recomend, a S&W, .357 Magnum,

and a box or two, of .38 spl .....

A Ruger Blackhawk, is single action, in .357,

and .38 spl. ammo would work too .....

Around $ 500.00 .....

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    My first pistol at the age of 18 was a S&W 686, back then I gave $350 for it. Now days $400 won't buy one, you might find a Taurus 357 in that range. Wheel guns are great starters. Hi-standard double 9 would be a good starter too. Going with a 357 type your son can plink with 38 cheaply.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    If you're wanting to introduce him into shooting with something simple and not really any recoil, why not a 22 mag wheel gun? We have a taraus and it shoots great. It holds 7 rounds. Technically it's my wife's gun but she doesn't really ever shoot. I know the size difference in the 2 people is considerable, but their experience level isn't.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    My 5'5 100 pound 16 y/o daughter shoots my 9mm Springfield Range Officer Champion, actually I'm pretty sure she has claimed it as hers lol! She handles and shoots it very well and has no problems with it's recoil at all. So with that said, if it was me, I'd look for something in 9mm since you stated home defense was also an intended use. Plus 9mm is fairly cheap.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I would suggest a Smith & Wesson Victory, Browning Buckmark, or Ruger Mark IV. Larger target pistols that will not look small in his hand plus you can put on different grips to size it to his hands. With the right grips it would be a gun he can enjoy forever.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    When my sons turned 18 I just asked them what they wanted, one picked a Glock, the other a SW model 19.

Go to a Meet & Shoot, and let him try a bunch. Bring some 9mm or .22

^these. Another option would be a range with a large number of rentals like point blank.

Don't get upset if the first one isn't the last one or even if it isn't kept. If he's used to long guns, a revolver DA might not be appreciated much.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Can never go wrong with a quality 22 target pistol as a first handgun. Still have my ruger mark 2 gov'ment target model my first handgun 35 years latter and it shoots as well today as it ever did even after eating up countless cases off 22 ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Ask him! Most younger folks (that is a huge amount of people compared to me) don't like revolvers. They want plastic guns. Nothing wrong with that. I'd think that a nice .22 might be the ticket. If he wants a plastic plinker, there are some nice, relatively inexpensive guns out there. I've been looking at the M&P .22 compact. If he wants an auto to do serious target shooting or small game hunting, a Ruger Mk might fit the bill. If you have deep pockets, and he wants a revolver, a S&W would fit the bill. If he wants a single-action .22, I'd go with the Ruger Single-Six.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'll go ahead and be that guy, but If it were me I'd pick up a Glock 17 or 19 for him. I say 17 since he's a bigger guy. Heck or go with a S&W M&P in a similar size (you may be able to get a new one for around your budget). But you should be able to find a used one that's not had the crap shot out of it, or eve If it were just a range gun I'd go with a 22/45. But I feel like a good 9mm pistol is the way to go. I know when I when I wanted my first handgun that's what I would have wanted.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A good, inexpensive pistol for both range and home defense is the Ruger 9E. Very reliable, great service from Ruger if needed, very good ergonomics, and fairly inexpensive magazines. They are very slim, and would serve just fine as a concealed carry gun for a larger person. They have a magazine disconnect which is easily removable, and a thumb safety. The trigger is actually pretty good on them. I have one, and prefer the trigger to a stock Glock trigger. The ergonomics are also far better than a Glock. To me, it feels as close to a 1911 as you can get in a polymer frame, striker fired handgun. Capacity is 17+1. You can find them from $300 to around $350 or so.

bDq8zyi.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'll go ahead and be that guy, but If it were me I'd pick up a Glock 17 or 19 for him. I say 17 since he's a bigger guy. Heck or go with a S&W M&P in a similar size (you may be able to get a new one for around your budget). But you should be able to find a used one that's not had the crap shot out of it, or eve If it were just a range gun I'd go with a 22/45. But I feel like a good 9mm pistol is the way to go. I know when I when I wanted my first handgun that's what I would have wanted.
    LMAO! Of course a Glock! Everyone needs a Glock! Glocks forever!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My son will too soon be 18, and for the first time is showing interest in a handgun. In fact, just today he told me that for his birthday he'd like a handgun. He's always shot rifles and shotguns, he's familiar with the four rules, and I'm familiar with IC 35-10-7.

He has big, meaty paws - 6'3, 250 on a light day. He's a big teddy bear.

I'm thinking a wheel gun for the relative simplicity of operation, and I'm thinking .22 caliber for shooting on the cheap and low recoil.

I like the Ruger LCR 22. Any other suggestions??

Budget: $400 negotiable, lower is better.
    Use: Range, home defense.
    Experience with calibers: .22, 9mm.

Well, a .22LR isn't suitable for home defense.

And most 18 y.o. aren't interested in wheel guns.

Top Bottom