• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Can anyone offer any solid reason to buy the VP9 or CZ P-10c? I am going to buy one cant afford both, wish I could but can't. Going to be used as my all around CCW, range fun gun and IDPA gun. Have eliminated all other striker fired polymer 9mms for one reason or another.
    Thanks,
    Art.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    In general I'm not a striker fired person. Triggers always felt different than a hammer gun and I for the longest time hadn't found one that just felt right (issue with a ton of polymer guns).

I bought a P10c cause the craze and I like CZ firearms and it was one of the few that felt right and the trigger felt more hammer-y than striker-y.

So far, I love it, first gun I was able to do double taps out of the box and have loaned it to a few friends to try and get the round count up. Over 1850 rounds without a hiccup and it shoots very well.

I liked the way the VP9 felt, but the cocked striker indicator just bugs me, and it doesn't point as well as the P10 for me

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I owned the P10c a while and really enjoyed it. The only issue I had is that the trigger pinched my finger. There is a great aftermarket trigger for it that fixes the issue though. I couldn't do the VP9, even though it's a great shooter because I hate paddle mag releases. Another gun to look at is the Canik TP9 SF Elite. You can find them online for ~$375 - $400 and they're a steal at that price. Better trigger than either of the other options here and very well made. Mine is my most accurate striker fired gun. If possible, rent them all and shoot them for yourself. If you're near Greenwood, I know I'd be happy to let you shoot my Canik and I know someone with a P10c that would let you shoot it ;)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you google p10c problems, you will get a lot of reading. Looks like it is still in beta testing.
    The bad things about the VP9 are the mag release and that HK mags are always too expensive.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: How much prior experience do you have with semi-auto handguns?

Do you have a lot of trigger time behind other pistols with the traditional button-style mag release? If yes - then go with the CZ.

If this'll be a first pistol (or you don't have much experience) then go with the VP9. If I weren't so heavily invested in the M&P platform (both hardware and software), I'd seriously consider the switch to the VP9.

And if you're still looking - I urge you to at least try out the new M&P 2.0. Better feeling in hand, better feeling trigger, and better recoil control than the older models.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    VP9, I have 4, is very comfortable, I've yet to have a malfunction, soft shooting, & I love the paddle release!

Mags are a bit high, around $35 if you shop around.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I had both but ended up keeping the VP9, both have nice triggers but the VP just felt like a more solidly built quality gun vs the P10 plus the aftermarket support for VP sights is better.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In sticking to your original question, I would say this: both are fantastic guns. Well made, reliable, etc. I have now fired five seperate P10 examples and I wouldn't be worried about problems (the internet is the internet). My advice would be to pick what fits your hand size best, since that will be what you end up shooting the best. Only other consideration I'll throw out there is that the VP9 is substantially wider than the P10, which will matter for CC. It also costs more.

And yes, I have shot both guns and own the P10. Reason? Fit better in my hands.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a P10 that's at about the 1500 round mark. Not a single issue has been encountered. In my opinion, it's one of the best 9mm compact handguns available. There have been a couple of issues reported, but no more so than with any new gun. I couple of reported issues really seem to be coming from Glock guys that really, really want to find something. Stuff like if you press the striker catch to the side and then carefully ride the slide, you can get it to fail to go into battery. It does not happen normally, but if you try really hard, you can get it to hang. Also, there were a lot of complaints that the slide release was too stiff. At it's worst, it was still better than any of my stock Glock slide nubs. The mag release is stiff when new, but both that and the slide release wear in nicely. That type of stuff is what's being reported mostly. A few issues have been legitimate though, but CZ has been very good at taking care of folks that have encountered them.

I did the trigger mod to mine and it helped a lot. But, I had over 1200 rounds through it before I did the mod and the trigger pinch is not as bad as a lot of folks make it out to be. It didn't bother me much until I started to watch for it. Now, I feel trigger pinch in my Glocks too, which I had never felt before until someone pointed out what it was. They are good guns and I'll probably pick a second one up this fall. Like M67 said above, they are really easy to shoot well. It's probably the combination of the grip angle, decent trigger and good high (but not too high) grip.

I can't help with the VP9 though. Never owned one and don't care for paddle mag releases.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks guys, I truly appreciate the advice. I have fired a VP 9 but I cant find a CZ P10 to examine of try out. Will hold off on my purchase until I can fondle a P10 and will buy which ever feels best. My only hesitation with the PPQ M2 is believe it or not, is the trigger. Yes its wonderfully light and crisp, and I have been shooting semi-autos for 3 decades, but I expert I am not. The PPQ M2 trigger is so light I am concerned about a negligent discharge as I really want to join my gun clubs IDPA chapter. But I have only tried out 1 PPQ M2 so I must admit I don't have a solid opinion of the PPQ M2.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    OP, I've recently done some of the same looking/investigating you are doing now, and I ended up landing on the Hk P30. I agree, the trigger on the PPQ I had (M1, *love* the paddle-style release) was SO good, I don't know that I'd ever feel comfortable carrying it. Being a revolver nut, and 1911 fan, I lean towards hammer vs striker-fired pistols. The P30 is the perfect blend. The DA trigger is long, but smooth and linear. SA is nice. If you haven't formed a solid opinion on a choice yet, give the Hk P30 a look. Mags are still pricey, but so far, I really like the platform. And if you're into how it fits, the interchangeable backstraps and side panels give you a lot of options for how it feels in your hands.

blueboxer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks guys, I truly appreciate the advice. I have fired a VP 9 but I cant find a CZ P10 to examine of try out. Will hold off on my purchase until I can fondle a P10 and will buy which ever feels best. My only hesitation with the PPQ M2 is believe it or not, is the trigger. Yes its wonderfully light and crisp, and I have been shooting semi-autos for 3 decades, but I expert I am not. The PPQ M2 trigger is so light I am concerned about a negligent discharge as I really want to join my gun clubs IDPA chapter. But I have only tried out 1 PPQ M2 so I must admit I don't have a solid opinion of the PPQ M2.

FYI, Point Blank in Carmel had a P10 in the rental case for a long time. Not sure if it is still there. I have also seen the VP9s in the rental case occasionally.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I have a VP9 and really enjoy shooting it. It feels great in the hand like the mold of the frame was modeled from my hand. I shoot it a tad faster than my EDC G19 with same accuracy but won't make the VP9 my EDC for several reasons. I've only dry fired the CZ P10 and I was like "meh".

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have no history with either of the guns in your list, but would just say to also look at holster availability, mag prices, etc as part of this. Generally I look to buy into a platform (multiple gun sizes for example that share parts, mags, etc) but also look at how the market supports the gun as well.

I think I've heard folks indicate that the P10 fits into most Glock 19 holsters, etc, so that would be a benefit.

It can problematic if you find a gun you love but you just can't get holsters, magazines, parts, sights, etc for it.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    I own a CZ P-10c, and a good friend owns a VP9. We went out to the range a month ago and put quite a few rounds through both. Both firearms were already well broken in with close to a thousand rounds through each. To be honest they are both wonderful handguns, and either would be a good choice. I am 5'11" with medium sized hands. He is 6'3” and a larger fellow. The VP9 was fun to shoot, but I personally liked the CZ better. For him the answer may be different. I liked the CZ for the following reasons.
    1.) Grip size. Just fit my hands much better and felt more natural. The VP9 was good, but the CZ just felt better.

2.) The grip texture. Although some call it agressively, I like the CZ texture. It is not going anywhere.

3.) The trigger on the CZ I felt was better, but it would be very close, and someone could easily vote the other way. Maybe it's because it was my gun and I was used to it more?

4.) The mag releases. Pretty self explanatory. Don't care for the paddle releases.

5.) The size of the CZ to me feels and conceals better. Plus it fits a large number of Glock 19 holsters. Which I already owned.

6.) It's a CZ!!!! Nuff said.

Iurobz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Remember that the VP9 comes with adjustable grip panels so it can be sized to better fit your hand. Not perfect but it can help. I like mine. Sorry but I can't offer any input on the CZ.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I own an HK VP9, and a CZ 75B. Both are wonderful to shoot. I know the CZ isn't the P10.

I enjoy shooing both to the point that when I go out to the range I bring both and both get shot. The HK just feels right in my hand. I shoot it better as well. I like the paddle release. The CZ doesn't feel as good till you start firing it. Then it shoots like a dream. It would be hard for me to pick between the HK & the CZ.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

Depending where you live but Point blank in Carmel has a P10c for rent.

Top Bottom