Glock 43 rear sight drifted far just from carrying.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    The rear sight on my Glock 43 drifted about 1/4" to the right on it's own. I never dropped it, just carried and shot it. The only reason I can think of that this would have happened is sweat lubricated it since I was carrying appendix but its hard for me to imagine that being the sole reason. Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone recommend me a place on the north side that can re-center the sight for me? After I fix the sight I'm honestly tempted to sell it, I'd hate to imagine needing my gun and the sights being that far off.

vlHpQ3e.jpg

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The rear sight on my Glock 43 drifted about 1/4" to the right on it's own. I never dropped it, just carried and shot it. The only reason I can think of that this would have happened is sweat lubricated it since I was carrying appendix but its hard for me to imagine that being the sole reason. Has anyone else experienced this and can anyone recommend me a place on the north side that can re-center the sight for me? After I fix the sight I'm honestly tempted to sell it, I'd hate to imagine needing my gun and the sights being that far off.

I'd hate to imagine needing the stock Glock sites at all in a defense situation :stickpoke:

Any shop that has a sight pusher should be able to help, but no, I've never experienced this. But as implied, I've never left the OEM sights on any of my carry Glocks. I carry a Glock 43 daily with Trijicon HD's and haven't had that issue.
    I'd take this opportunity to upgrade to some good sights, and hopefully the issue does not continue. I'd think if you have someone competent install the new sights they would be able to detect if there is an issue. Most shops install free if you buy the new sights from them.

Hopefully it is an issue with the sight and not how the slide is cut. I would not get rid of a Glock due to the performance or lack thereof from OEM sights. I think Glock purposely cheaps out on the OEM sights as they know most everyone expects to replace them on a Glock.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I haven't had anything quite like that, but my sights are off a bit too. I've read it's somewhat common with the 43.

TBH, glock factory sights are pants anyway. As well as drifting, they're made of polymer and the front sight is stupidly wide for the size of the rear notch. There are aftermarket options that have a set screw that will work much better and will give you a better sight picture to boot. I just bought a set of Warren Sevigny sights for mine - they have a much better sight picture, tritium dots, they're made from steel, and have a set screw on the rear...but now I'm having second thoughts about installing them because I'm thinking of changing my 43 for something else anyway :(

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Sight dovetails can vary slightly with tooling wear. I'd never judge a pistol by dovetail tolerance. Buy a good steel rear sight. I prefer a blacked out rear, but it's up to you.

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    I'll just look into some aftermarket sights. I can't swing the cost right now so I guess I'll leave it in the safe until I upgrade.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    take the rear sight completely out. use a centerpunch to gently put 2 or 3 dimples in the bottom of the sight. reinstall sight. This should help keep the sight in place. The dimpling will displace some material and aid in the interference fit of the sight in the dovetail. not a definitive answer, just a get you by until you get the sights you want to put on your pistol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    take the rear sight completely out. use a centerpunch to gently put 2 or 3 dimples in the bottom of the sight. reinstall sight. This should help keep the sight in place. The dimpling will displace some material and aid in the interference fit of the sight in the dovetail. not a definitive answer, just a get you by until you get the sights you want to put on your pistol.

You beat me by 1 minute OJ.....I use an auto punch for this and have done more than a few. It does work.

GreyState

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2017
    Ft Wayne
    I'd look into after market sights as wel, I've never had anything like this happen on my 43 - but then again, I never fired a shot with the OEM sights...big fan of Trijicon myself. Might be worthwhile to invest in a sight pusher as well, there are good quality ones on Amazon for under $100.

Just went and looked on Amazon, and this is the one I ordered (Glock Model), doesn't appear to be available now, but I think I paid $90 for it? Rock Solid...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016R4DXJW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Plastic Glock sights suck.

I pitch them when acquiring a new Glock and install Trijicons. Not hard to do with a file, old leather glove and a bench vise.

Don't sweat its a common thing that you can fix easily.

If you don't want to mess with it I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would tap it the rest of the way out and turn it around so you have a black rear and white dot for the front. It it's that loose you should be able put a little loctite on the base and tap it back in with a plastic hammer (gently). That should hold it until you get proper sights..

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I replaced my Glock 43 sights with a set of plain, black, non-illuminated AmeriGlo Defoor steel sights. $35 delivered from Amazon. Something to consider if your budget doesn’t allow the high-end replacements.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Plastic Glock sights suck.

I pitch them when acquiring a new Glock and install Trijicons. Not hard to do with a file, old leather glove and a bench vise.

Don't sweat its a common thing that you can fix easily.

If you don't want to mess with it I would be more than happy to take it off your hands.

But, but, I thought g---k, was perfection, out of the box .....:): .....

Nate Suns

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Fishers
    This pretty much covers it.

I've seen them remove themselves at the range on more than a few occasions.

I'm still leaning toward selling it I think. I don't use it much since it doesn't do anything my P30SK can't do and I didn't want to invest any more money into it. Does anyone here have a sight pusher on the north side that wants to make a few bucks before I sell it?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Mine did the same thing, thou not as bad.....I don' mind the stock sight, I pushed mine out , did the center punch thing on it, reinstalled, seems to be fine now

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom