• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    A couple of weeks ago, my Dad calls me up and says that he fired a shot from his carry gun in the woods and the gun jammed and would I take a look at it. I told him to drop it off and that I'd look at it when I had a chance and gave him a gun to carry in the meantime.

For some backstory, the gun is a hot pink Ruger LCP. My Dad purchased it back in 2014 as a Valentine's Day gift for his wife. Of course, the one trip to the range we took was all the convincing she needed that the gun was not for her. Ever since, my Dad has carried the gun, sans any kind of holster, in either his pocket or waistband. Yes, both myself and my wife have informed him on many occasions that he needed a holster and even picked up a pocket holster for him to use which he's never even tried.

Anyway, I dreaded having to look at the thing, so I drug my feet for a while (mainly because in the interim I bought him an LCP II to carry). I finally went to disassemble it over the weekend and found pretty much what I expected. The gun was full of lint, dirt, cat/dog hair and rust. I called my Dad up and asked him when was the last time he cleaned it, for him to tell me right after our range trip back in 2014... :facepalm:

I was curious if CLP would take off most of the rust, or if I'd need to use something stronger (or even use something like sandpaper to remove it). The slide rails, inside of the slide, barrel and even the recoil spring have rust that needs removed.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If it is pitted, it will take abrasives to get past the pits. But I wouldn't touch any mating surfaces with abrasives. A good soak in kroil and some elbow grease with a brass brush should get rid of the rust though.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Get him a (another) pocket holster and explain that it will help keep it clean(er). Bring up that if he needed to use the pistol before it was cleaned, it was a single shot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I appreciate the info.

To be clear, I got him an LCP II as a replacement, as it's much better than the original and comes with a pretty decent little pocket holster. I've told him to only carry with the holster and for goodness sake to always make sure that he cleans and lubes the gun at least once a month if it's being carried... :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe clean it for him on his birthday from now on. Doesn't look like he's going to do it.

Or explain that a carry pistol requires a little more care than a safe queen due to sweat.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Maybe clean it for him on his birthday from now on. Doesn't look like he's going to do it.

Or explain that a carry pistol requires a little more care than a safe queen due to sweat.

Not a bad idea. A card with a note inside that says redeem for a free gun cleaning. Better than getting him the LCP II and the first thing he said when I handed it to him was "I didn't want that"... :n00b:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not a bad idea. A card with a note inside that says redeem for a free gun cleaning. Better than getting him the LCP II and the first thing he said when I handed it to him was "I didn't want that"... :n00b:

People get particular about guns.

But, cleaning 1 gun every year, or every 6 months wouldn't be that bad for someone that raised you.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, the gun cleaned up with just a lot of scrubbing and some soaking in CLP. Got it cleaned and lubed and plan to test it out this weekend. Hopefully it'll be back in working order. Thanks to everyone with the great info and ideas! :ingo:

Top Bottom