• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    All I know is that I want a .22 handgun. Some days I want a GP100, others I want a Walther, sometimes I just want a really cheap Heritage Rough Rider with the included 22mag cylinder.

But mostly, I *think* I want a Ruger Mark IV Standard... but 6" or 4.75"?

I really don't know how to move ahead to make a decision, but I really do want a .22 handgun.

What's everyone think?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Any of the Ruger MK series, Browning Buckmark, S&W Victory, M&P 22 and that's just the autoloaders. As long as you stay away from the Sig Mosquito and the Chiappa 1911, you really can't go wrong. Try out a few and see what you like.

You will probably end up with more than one.

I was lucky to find have found my favorite 22 on my first try almost 20 years of ago. A 10" Ruger MKII.

0CPVdTi.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    And if you happen to get a MKI, II or III, don't ne afraid of taking it down ans putting it back together. I can show you the fail safe way to do it.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Love my Ruger mark iv 2245 lite. Shes a sweet shooter and eats everything. When looking into purchasing a new 22lr handgun i did lots of research and i will say i would stay away from the S&W victory. I have seen tons of issues and complaints on it, but thats just me. Takedown on the new Mark iv's can be done in less than 5 seconds too, which is great. Ive run about 3k rounds thru so far with only to jams and that was with some cheap federal blue box. Mostly run cci standard velocity and zero issues with it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Swap out the Heritage for a Ruger Single Six and I would say you have a pretty good list started to accumulate.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Any of the Ruger MK series, Browning Buckmark, S&W Victory, M&P 22 and that's just the autoloaders. As long as you stay away from the Sig Mosquito and the Chiappa 1911, you really can't go wrong. Try out a few and see what you like.

You will probably end up with more than one.

I was lucky to find have found my favorite 22 on my first try almost 20 years of ago. A 10" Ruger MKII.

QUOTE]

Ditto the above...I would suggest a auto loader first as you will appreciate the extra few rounds versus a revolver. In time, you the likely end up with a semi and wheel gun. Ruger and SW are good starting places and easiest to move (generally) if the flavor of the next month requires a sale.

You didn't mention budget so I'll throw the SW Model 41 into the mix....very nice!

....that 10" MkII is steller!

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i have a walther p22, fun to shoot, needs to go back to walther wont double action unless u push up on the mag. the catch is worn alittle, has a mag disconect. it is a little picky on ammo, does not like federal bulk. might try a different box nest time im out with it. it does like thunder bolt. loves golden bullet,

if ur interested in shooting it let me know. might be able to meet at midwest gun or somewhere else

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    +1 on the Ruger Single Six. (Unless you want to suppress it.) The single action .22 is a blast at the range. Bonus points if you get the western belt and holster to go with it!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yeah, I would stay away from the Heritage revolvers, I've seen more issues with those than any other firearms brought into the range. I've seen the casing ejector fall off of no less than 3 different ones during shooting, and numerous cylinder lockups.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've had pretty good luck with my Ruger SR22. It shoots nice and doesn't seem to be real picky with ammo. I think i've shot a little of about every brand out of it. The only downside is extra mags are about $32.00-$38.00/each.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    +1 on the Ruger Single Six. (Unless you want to suppress it.) The single action .22 is a blast at the range. Bonus points if you get the western belt and holster to go with it!

I have to agree the single six is pretty sweet. I was actually just working on a neighbors, which led me to the gun store to check out the new ones.

They are so expensive though. I'm still feeling the sting from my GP100 6" stainless .357!

That's why I was thinking heritage. It's a really cheap way to see if a single action six shooter is really for me.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    S&W 617 is a great revolver.

We are in 100% agreement on this.

S&W has been making the 'K frame' revolvers since the late 1800's, and they finally made a totally awesome 'K' in .22LR. The 617 is a bit expensive, but worth every penny.... and a gun that, once you own one, will keep. Forever.

Stainless, single/double action, 10-shot, windage adjustable rear sight. What's not to love!? Accurate as can possibly be, as well.

S&W's page on the 617-

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-617-0

ETA- Save up your pennies, and get one..... because the S&W 617 is easily worth 2-1/2 Rugers.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Yeah, I would stay away from the Heritage revolvers, I've seen more issues with those than any other firearms brought into the range. I've seen the casing ejector fall off of no less than 3 different ones during shooting, and numerous cylinder lockups.

Thanks for the info. I don't mind buying a cheap firearm occasionally, but I don't have any interest in buying disposable ones.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    We are in 100% agreement on this.

S&W has been making the 'K frame' revolvers since the late 1800's, and they finally made a totally awesome 'K' in .22LR. The 617 is a bit expensive, but worth every penny.... and a gun that, once you own one, will keep. Forever.

Stainless, single/double action, 10-shot, windage adjustable rear sight. What's not to love!? Accurate as can possibly be, as well.

S&W's page on the 617-

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-617-0

ETA- Save up your pennies, and get one..... because the S&W 617 is easily worth 2-1/2 Rugers.

I would LOVE to have a this gun, but it would take me a very long time to save up that many pennies.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to stay down in the Mark IV range, not that it's a bad place to be, but who wouldn't go the 617 route if they could.

Top Bottom