• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Interested in buying this, only concern i have is the moon clips. This would be her selfe defence / bug out bag handgun.

My main question is : Can you shoot this without the the moon clips. I found 1 article regarding this, and said they shoot just fine, you just need a stick or pencil to extract the shell casings.

Can anyone who has this revolver confirm or deny this?

thx!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    3rd vote here for a good little .38 special. Load it with heavy wadcutters for light recoil and good penetration.

JDimitri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2017
    Crown Point
    I would suggest against a .38 special or .357 because of recoil especially if it is a lighter weight pistol. What I would highly recommend is to go to a shop with lots of firearms for her to first put in her hand. TO see which fits best. From there finding a place you can rent firearms for her to try out. Too many times someone has thought, oh a .38 special is a good option forgetting that some women have weaker wrist and hand strength.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I agree that buying a firearm for a woman is a bad idea if she has little or no experience with one. It was not stated that she has shot before and prefers a small revolver. I have taken a few women to the range for the first time and they settle on a variety of guns. My niece is a small woman and she loved my SP101 so much that she bought her own. Her friend that had not shot loved the 1911 45. My wife also carries and shoots a variety of guns. She carries and shoots her Kimber Ultra Raptor in 45acp, Ruger LC9, or her Ruger LCR in 357. I personally don’t think a 380 is a great round for self defense, and most 9mm are the same size as a small 380. A 357 Revolver gives you a lot of options. They can shoot 38 Special, 38 Special +P, and 357 magnums.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    She has shot my glock 22 both in 99mm and 40cal.
    We rented a revolver (S&W). In 38spc. And the recoil was still a little too much.
    380 suits her.
    I dont want a handgun for her, she needs a revolver. Aim and shoot.
    I like the taurus ultra lite. My concern is about the moonclips. If she loses. Them can she still shoot?

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    We rented a revolver (S&W). In 38spc. And the recoil was still a little too much.
    380 suits her.
    I like the taurus ultra lite. My concern is about the moonclips. If she loses. Them can she still shoot?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    My concern would be about the Taurus actually working when it's needed. Taurus' QC is in the toilet. There's a reason why others are telling you get her something else. Revolver is fine; just not a Taurus. My LGS has had to send so many back in the last 2yrs they won't even sell them anymore

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I think 380 is a good caliber, I carry one myself, a Sig P230.
    Have you considered a quality semi auto like a P238 or Colt Mustang? Either would be a excellent choice; dependable, easy to rack slide, holds more rounds than a revolver(6+1, or 7+1) and low recoil. But whatever, I'd stay away from Taurus.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    380 suits her.

If she can handle a 99mm, she can handle a .38. :):

Joking aside, there are .38 loads that have very light recoil and still would be more effective than a .380.
    Why are you worried about her losing the moonclips? All she will likely ever need is the one in the gun. Hard to lose that one.
    What scenario do you envision where she would need to shoot .380s without the moonclips in a defensive situation?
    If she loses a couple, buy a couple more. If you can find them. I've never even seen one of these revolvers in a gun shop. I'm betting production doesn't last long.
    Also, Taurus is junk. So there's that. I sure as heck wouldn't give one to my wife or daughter to carry.
    A Ruger LCR, even in .22 magnum, would be a much better bet for a defensive tool.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Not really wanting to get her a semi auto. It would take a few mths/yrs to teach her how to properly handle FTF or FTE. Revolvers dont have that problem. If it shoot it shoots, if it don't it don't.

Any other 380 revolvers out there? or should i wait for shot show 2018?

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Have her try a Ruger LCR in .327 Fed Magnum. It's a lightweight revolver with a great trigger. She can practice with 32 longs but still use the great .327 magnum as a self defense round. And it's a 6 shot.

Ruger® LCR® * Double-Action Revolver Model 5452

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gundigest.com/handguns/small-miracle-327-federal-magnum/amp

Came here to post this. sp101 or lcr in 327. 32 long is lighter recoil than 380, and you can also use 32h&r mag or 327. Ruger is a much better firearm than Taurus

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Have her try a Ruger LCR in .327 Fed Magnum. It's a lightweight revolver with a great trigger. She can practice with 32 longs but still use the great .327 magnum as a self defense round. And it's a 6 shot.

I completely forgot about that one. Darn good suggestion, especially it being a six-shooter.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    My question is the .32/.327 Mag have recoil that is much lighter than the .38/.357?
    I know some here disagree but I firmly believe a .22 Magnum is a better choice than a .380.
    Many great revolvers in that caliber.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    My question is the .32/.327 Mag have recoil that is much lighter than the .38/.357?
    I know some here disagree but I firmly believe a .22 Magnum is a better choice than a .380.
    Many great revolvers in that caliber.

I agree that a .22 Magnum is probably sufficient for a SD caliber, but most don't realize that the triggers are heavier for rim-fire as compared to center-fire cartridges. The pull weight of most small revolvers is already off the charts for most women, and the pull weight for most rim-fire revolvers is more than most gauges will measure... Including the LCR. Not much can be done about the heavy weight of these revolvers since it is required to reliably ignite a rim-fire cartridge.

Just try to be accurate when your hands are shaking from straining against a 15 pound trigger.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why do people always want to pick "small" and hard to handle firearms for "their" women?

Small revolvers aren't beginner guns. The felt recoil is STOUT. They're slow to reload. Double action trigger pulls are generally awful. Super short sight radius makes aiming/hitting the target difficult. They take many many rounds and all kinds of good practice to become proficient with.

Makes no sense to me.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Why do people always want to pick "small" and hard to handle firearms for "their" women?

Small revolvers aren't beginner guns. The felt recoil is STOUT. They're slow to reload. Double action trigger pulls are generally awful. Super short sight radius makes aiming/hitting the target difficult. They take many many rounds and all kinds of good practice to become proficient with.

Makes no sense to me.

This guy gets it

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Makes no sense to me.

I'm betting that most men who are buying a pistol for their woman have a woman who, honestly, is not that interested in carrying one.
    Hence the small, light guns that fit in a purse. And if she won't practice with it, the only thing that makes sense is a revolver.
    Even for seasoned shooters, a small revolver is mostly a belly gun. No one is packing a J frame to battle ISIS at the mall. There won't be any reloading. There won't be any aimed fire. It is a gun for "bad breath" distance in an emergency.
    There are better options for everybody, not just beginners. Truth be told, it's probably more for his peace of mind than hers.

Top Bottom