• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Fantastic pistol, but of course you must know that I am a Beretta nut!

People complain about the size of the 92 series but I have small hands and have no problem holding, aiming or firing a 92. Very accurate right out of the box, likes to be run wet during break in but otherwise very reliable.

I have a couple, one of which I built up using parts I have collected over the last 10 years, and it has been so good that my son-in-law used it to practice for his Air Force M9 qualifications. Did great with mine "Franken92" as well as the AF issue M9.

Only thing to watch for is the magazines. Stick to Beretta factory (PB marked), MDS which makes Beretta "factory" mags, and Mec-gar which also made/makes Beretta mags. Many complaints about the 92 series can be directly attributed to trying to save a dollar on the mags.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, it ain't a Glock, so it has that going for it. I like the triggers. They are a bit bulky and heavy for what you get. But they are pretty nice. It can be an accurate pistol.

But there is a deal breaker: the safety suuucks. With 1911's, disengagement is fairly natural. Not on the 92. The easiest way I have found is to put the hand on the pistol, disengage, then draw. There's a lot of weird motion for your thumb. It's irritating during practice, but easy to screw up in a life or death situation.

Not sure about civilian mags, but the Army mags I have used do not drop free.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I concur with Woobie on the ergonomics of the slide mounted safety...it suuucks. The standard slide also doesn't allow removal of the front sight, although Vertec and others do. If I had to carry one, I'd look for a decocker only, and probably a Vertec slide. As it is, I find the ergonomics of the Sig P2XX series to work better for me, although the 92 wins on price.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I concur with Woobie on the ergonomics of the slide mounted safety...it suuucks. The standard slide also doesn't allow removal of the front sight, although Vertec and others do. If I had to carry one, I'd look for a decocker only, and probably a Vertec slide. As it is, I find the ergonomics of the Sig P2XX series to work better for me, although the 92 wins on price.

Mmmm Sigs. While I really like the P226, for instance, you can beat the price of a 92 and still get a Sig if you get a 2022. I think those pistols are an incredible bargain.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My first pistol was a FS 92. Carried it for many years. It'll shoot anything and is very accurate right out of the box.

The safety is something that is easily mastered. I got to were I could click the safety off as I drew it.
    I've since owned and carried other brands but I still shoot my Beretta fairly often.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I had the 92 FS Centurion and it was easy to see why the military kept the M9 for so many years. I've always described it to people as the perfect gun for a new shooter because the size and weight make the recoil extremely manageable and they're very accurate. I never came acros someone who couldn't shoot that gun well. Not insinuating that you're a new shooter, just trying to accurately describe the shooting experience. The previous posters are correct about the mags and safety though. The only reason I no longer own the gun is because the grips were too fat for my hands. And I may still buy another at some point anyway TBH. Oh, and one final comment. I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning my guns and the 92 was the easiest and least time consuming that I've owned.

Last edited:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I've had my 92fs for 6 or 7 years. I bought it when I couldn't get 45acp and I was shooting 3 times a week. It has been the best range gun, trainer gun and fun gun that never disappoints. Not only is it really easy to clean, it hardly gets dirty. Very accurate, even with cheap 9mm. Certainly the cleanest shooting gun I own.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Well, it ain't a Glock, so it has that going for it. I like the triggers. They are a bit bulky and heavy for what you get. But they are pretty nice. It can be an accurate pistol.

But there is a deal breaker: the safety suuucks. With 1911's, disengagement is fairly natural. Not on the 92. The easiest way I have found is to put the hand on the pistol, disengage, then draw. There's a lot of weird motion for your thumb. It's irritating during practice, but easy to screw up in a life or death situation.

Get one of the original Taurus PT92 (or 99 -- adjustable sights) before Taurus put in the decocker. It is standard, expected frame mounted safety behavior, and seemingly before Taurus QC went to hell in a hand basket. All the things you like about the Beretta, without the funky safety.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    BBI hit the nail on he head. Get a 92G decocker only model. I have a 92FS that is awesome, but the safety is my only complaint. It’s also a awesome piece to get a novice introduced to a larger caliber than a .22. I recently picked up a Wilson Combat 92G Brigadier and it is definitely a step up from the production 92 series. Meg-Gar 18 round mags are the way to go. All my factory mags run great, but the 18 round mags fit like a factory 15 and have not let me down yet.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Get one of the original Taurus PT92 (or 99 -- adjustable sights) before Taurus put in the decocker. It is standard, expected frame mounted safety behavior, and seemingly before Taurus QC went to hell in a hand basket. All the things you like about the Beretta, without the funky safety.

Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had the 92 FS Centurion and it was easy to see why the military kept the M9 for so many years. I've always described it to people as the perfect gun for a new shooter because the size and weight make the recoil extremely manageable and they're very accurate. I never came acros someone who couldn't shoot that gun well. Not insinuating that you're a new shooter, just trying to accurately describe the shooting experience. The previous posters are correct about the mags and safety though. The only reason I no longer own the gun is because the grips were too fat for my hands. And I may still buy another at some point anyway TBH. Oh, and one final comment. I'm pretty meticulous about cleaning my guns and the 92 was the easiest and least time consuming that I've owned.

That would be me... :): I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from inside the barn with mine, but it was a 92S (old stye European mag release), not that it should matter. Couldn't stand the trigger. Pull was a mile long, which I guess is a Beretta thing? Had a PX4 subcompact that was the same way. Didn't think the trigger would ever break.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    John McClane and Martin Riggs. That's all I need to know to have one on my wish list.

:)

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

As to the mags, only use MecGar mags! That is who makes the mags for Beretta. But you can usually find them a little cheaper separately than buying them through Beretta. They are very high quality and do not have the drop free and jamming issues the cheaper government contract mags have.

ALSO.....

You can now make ANY 92F gun or newer into a decocker only model for just $55 using the Beretta conversion kit.

Beretta M9 - 92/96 G Conversion Kit

It seems that Beretta USA is out right now. But I have been able to find them on other websites too.

This helps a ton and now I like my 92F (not FS) more than ever before. The kit I got was very well built and seems to be durable as well. It is all metal with no plastic parts and even extra springs and plungers in case you loose one.

Well...well worth the $55 IMHO!

Top Bottom