Help with buying Shield normal or perforce center?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So i have decided that i need a SW shield, because well why not. So I will most likely buy a 9mm and 45 since again, why not. My question is should I get the PC version or just the regular. I do not know much about the SW other then they are very light and thin. I am looking for something that I can slip in and carry just about anywhere. I do not like the idea of hi viz sights but not a deal breaker. I will not use a safety but again not a deal killer. I like the ports but and I hear the trigger is better?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I like your style. Why not?

I have a Shield 9 & 45, but no experience with either in a PC model. However, I do have a M&P9 PC that I like. However, the PC trigger is still not as good as the Apex trigger you can get. Also my M&P 9 PC is for competition, so I wanted porting, but I wouldn’t EDC a ported gun ( my personal preference)

All that said, since S&W just released the Shield 2.0, you should be able to pick up a 1.0 PC model for pretty cheap.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    My experience is only with version 1.0.

PC trigger is better than the 45...45 trigger better is better than 9 mm. IMHO.

I am a huge fan of the work of the Performance Center....but, if budget matters, the Shield PC is not a significant upgrade in overall fit, finish and shoot-ability.

I don't mind the ports and as far as port in an EDC the debate will start in

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    The ports do not bother me. If I really had to use it at night the chances are it would be so close and over so fast the flash from the ports would not matter a bit. Right now I guess I am leaning toward the PC version with night sights.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm not a fan of porting, or FO sights on a carry gun myself. I've carried a plain Jane Shield that I put Trijicon HD sights on for ~3 years now and like it just fine. You can get them for a decent price and add whatever sights float your boat. If you don't like the relatively crappy trigger, an Apex kit will fix that up pretty well. This is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth, but I'd rather buy the standard version and make it what you want than buy the Performance Center gun for more money and have to make changes. Of course, if you like it the way they come, that would probably be best... :dunno:

EDIT: BTW, on GunWatcher, the cheapest 9mm Shield I could find was around $280 shipped, while the cheapest Performance Center Shield was around $400 shipped. Just some extra data.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Well I put the cart before the horse and just bought the 5 mag and 5 boxes of ammo special the PSA were doing. Now I just need to get out the the LGS and see which one I like best. My understanding is that all the 9mm including the new 2.0 all except the same mags?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My father's base model 45 is good for the 20 yard plate rack at my local club and has never had a ftf. That is where my money would go. Front and rear sight were stupid off center as delivered, no excuse for that, but fixable.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I just picked up the 2.0 model and the updates they did to the grip texture and trigger are much better than the 1.0.

The trigger is the same they put in the new 2.0 compact model only slightly heavier. Very crisp....slight take up and then a crisp break after hitting the wall.

Bradis has them for 419.00 without thumb safety. I would suggest looking at the 2.0.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    If your not in love with porting (I don't care for it and didn't feel like it provided any noticable recoil reduction on the 9mm shield) go with the standard. Standard + Apex is a much better gun IMO. The Shield pretty much has any sight option you could want available so pick your favorite.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Some people think that the porting is worth the extra money. I'd pay more to get a model without porting if pricing was the other way around. Porting is not needed on a small defensive pistol, and definitely not on a 9mm. The Shield has a short barrel, and velocity is reduced compared to a full size gun. I don't want to vent gas out through ports before the bullet leaves the barrel, robbing me of even more velocity. The standard Shield is one of the softest shooting small poly frame single stack 9mm pistols that you can buy anyway.

I've owned the standard 9mm Shield and have shot a friend's PC model. Not enough of a difference in the trigger to mention, and I prefer nights sights to fiber optic sights on a defensive gun.

My current carry is a 45 Shield. I like the new grip texture, so if I were to get another 9mm Shield, I'd go with the 2.0 model.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'd highly recommend a 2.0 model if its as awesome of the 2.0 in the other sizes.

I have a 9 mm Perf Center with night sites. I'd suggest not wasting your money on a PC model. Save the bucks, put a Apex trigger in it...and get the sights you want.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Some people think that the porting is worth the extra money. I'd pay more to get a model without porting if pricing was the other way around. Porting is not needed on a small defensive pistol, and definitely not on a 9mm. The Shield has a short barrel, and velocity is reduced compared to a full size gun. I don't want to vent gas out through ports before the bullet leaves the barrel, robbing me of even more velocity. The standard Shield is one of the softest shooting small poly frame single stack 9mm pistols that you can buy anyway.

I've owned the standard 9mm Shield and have shot a friend's PC model. Not enough of a difference in the trigger to mention, and I prefer nights sights to fiber optic sights on a defensive gun.

My current carry is a 45 Shield. I like the new grip texture, so if I were to get another 9mm Shield, I'd go with the 2.0 model.

I'll second the night sights over fiber optics and the Shield being very soft shooting. The recoil is so soft even in the .45 that the porting, if it does anything, will only reduce the muzzle flip slightly and it isn't a problem in the first place.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I work in a gun shop, as soon as someone says I like to look at a shield, I hand them the standard model, and have them dry fire it, then I hand them the pc shield, and have them dry fire it.

I then point out that if you buy a shield, and want a smother trigger, you have to buy and install the 90 dollar apex parts kit, and I explain how hard it is to remove and reinstall the rear sight, (because you have to remove the rear sight to install a parts kit) then I tell them the shield pc already has the trigger parts, plus the fo sights, and the ported barrel, and its only 90.00 more than the standard shield (so you get the fo sights and the porting free).

never once have I had someone say ill take the standard shield!

if you are thinking about buying a shield, I recommend you buy the performance center shield!, its worth the extra 90 bucks!

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I work in a gun shop, as soon as someone says I like to look at a shield, I hand them the standard model, and have them dry fire it, then I hand them the pc shield, and have them dry fire it.

I then point out that if you buy a shield, and want a smother trigger, you have to buy and install the 90 dollar apex parts kit, and I explain how hard it is to remove and reinstall the rear sight, (because you have to remove the rear sight to install a parts kit) then I tell them the shield pc already has the trigger parts, plus the fo sights, and the ported barrel, and its only 90.00 more than the standard shield (so you get the fo sights and the porting free).

never once have I had someone say ill take the standard shield!

if you are thinking about buying a shield, I recommend you buy the performance center shield!, its worth the extra 90 bucks!

That's because your being deceptive IMO. The PC Shield does not have Apex parts. The Apex kit offers a trigger far superior to the PC, and a lot of people are going to get after market sights anyways.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I have decided that I really do not want a safety. So it looks like the 2.0 for 9mm and the regular 45 too. Thanks for all the feedback.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    That's because your being deceptive IMO. The PC Shield does not have Apex parts. The Apex kit offers a trigger far superior to the PC, and a lot of people are going to get after market sights anyways.

How am I being deceptive? I don’t tell people that apex parts are installed on performance center shields! I tell them that it has a factory trigger job, it’s better than a stock shield, if you or anybody else were to buy an apex parts kit,it still has to be installed by someone, so you need a sight pusher to install the kit, well not really but it makes it a hell of a lot easier, not everyone who buys a small subcompact pistol wants a 2.5 pound trigger along with trijicon hd night sights, so they happy fiber optic sights, and honestly the porting is a moot point to me.

but I stand by my comments if you want a shield and don’t want to drop 90.00 on a parts kit, and 100 bucks on a set of night sights Buy the pc shield

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Sounds like the OP has made up his mind, but I tend to lean with shootersix on this one. I'd take the PC Shield 1.0 over the standard Shield 1.0, but have heard very good things about the M&P 2.0 line's newer triggers (reportedly better than Apex offerings for the M&P 1.0?). For me, it would be a toss-up between the PC Shield 1.0 and the new Shield 2.0. While the PC Shield's porting may not serve any practical purpose on such a short barrel, and it's more holes to clean out with a q-tip... dang if they don't look like they mean business! And my aging eyes LOVE the FO sights.

Last edited:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    How am I being deceptive? I don’t tell people that apex parts are installed on performance center shields! I tell them that it has a factory trigger job, it’s better than a stock shield, if you or anybody else were to buy an apex parts kit,it still has to be installed by someone, so you need a sight pusher to install the kit, well not really but it makes it a hell of a lot easier, not everyone who buys a small subcompact pistol wants a 2.5 pound trigger along with trijicon hd night sights, so they happy fiber optic sights, and honestly the porting is a moot point to me.

but I stand by my comments if you want a shield and don’t want to drop 90.00 on a parts kit, and 100 bucks on a set of night sights Buy the pc shield

I apologize then. The wording in your original post of "the trigger parts are already installed" after just talking about an Apex kit is what it stemmed from.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I've had my hands on a couple of shield .45's, and I'll be buying one this week. If you think the trigger is very good, you're mistaken. The take-up is gritty, and it definitely has some creep. But it is certainly serviceable, and far better than a number of other striker triggers I have tried.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I must've missed this when it was new.

As far as porting: You will get spall out of the ports on the ported shields.

At least one BIG name firearms / CQC / instructor has disallowed them from his firearms training classes due to spall injuring people (minor) - but the mail reason is due to the potential for eye injury during the training.

For some - this is an acceptable "thing". For some it isn't.

Top Bottom