• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Linton
    I have a 627 v comp I’ve been shooting steel challenge with and lately I’ve been having light strikes. I practice without the moonclips and seem to have fewer light strikes. Will moonclips cause light strikes or is this just a coincidence? I have lightened the trigger and polished the internals but, when I started having light strikes, I put the original spring back in and it helped, but still not 100%. I am using CCI primers (have federals on backorder) and never had this issue in the past. Any thoughts?

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    1) If you think it correlates to moon clips, then bent moon clips. They hold the round out so it can move when struck, thus dampening the strike. Also, try a different brand and thickness of clips.
    2) Are you deep-seating your primers? They should be crushed into the primer pocket hard. ...and they should be made by Federal... But, a factory spring should always light off a primer, so it's not just brand.
    3) Broken or bent firing pin. I've broken 5 or 6, sometimes they will stay in place while broken.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    my initial thoughts were (1) firing pin, (2) moon clip thickness problem - or bent clips, and (3) spring/tension problem.

If lightenend up too much (main screw backed out too much), you'll end up with exactly what you describe.
    - You could try those "power rib" springs
    - you could try a few different moonclip brands/thicknesses
    - you could check firing pin, making sure it's intact, in-line, and not impeded/dirty

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I had the same problem. I do not reload, so I tried several brands of ammo and tightened the main spring. Those things did not work. I sent it back to S&W they replaced the firing pin and installed a different main spring. It has been flawless since then.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have a Performance Center 686+ that was having the same issues. After reading this, I wonder of the moon clips were causing the light strikes. They are the moon clips that came with the gun when I bought it used. I have not used them since and the problem seems to have gone away.

Colt44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Linton
    I switched from a .020 moonclips to a .025 moonclip and shot 100 rounds with no light strikes. Think that might have been the problem, I hope...

Top Bottom