• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm guessing that I'm not alone on INGO in suffering from chronic MPPD (Multi-Platform Personality Disorder). As much as I'd like to choose a single platform and wallow in its greatness, I can't. I'm a failure at fanboyism. I dip a toe in being a fanboy, as evidenced by my defense of the P10C, but I fail at it. There are just too many good platforms out there to limit myself to just one though. My first handgun was a full size 1911. My second was a compact 1911. I had a good start there, but wandered from the church of the single platform over to other stuff. Right now, I'm trying my best to be a fanboy of three platforms, but cannot seem to stick to any one. The 1911s will always be my first love for spending a day at the range. No matter the 1911, it has always been a joy to shoot no matter if it was an RIA Compact or an Ed Brown Exec Carry.

Next up was the CZ platform. Those are my top pick for carry but shooting them has been a mixed bag. The 9mm traditional CZs have always been great shooters and with a bit of Cajun spice, are edging close to the perfection that a 1911 is. But, the .40 CZs have caused more grief than joy. Of the 6 I've owned, only three have been without issues. Two of those are now solid shooters with close to a thousand rounds since the last issue was exercised out, but the third is not out of the woods yet. I think that I have a handle on what ails it, but won't know if it's fixed until another couple of hundred trouble free rounds go down the pipe. I can honestly say that the last CZ in .40 has been the only gun I've ever considered taking a bandsaw to just to be sure that it does not frustrate another gun owner as it did with me. But, it's looking much better now and I still love the CZ platform regardless of the experience with the .40s. Love it enough that it's the mainstay of the family defensive sidearm collection.

Then there are the Glocks. I just can't seem to let go of that platform. The utter simplicity of the Glock platform is what keeps them in the family. When I've been thinking too much about guns and need to focus on other stuff in life, I carry a Glock. It's a gun that I'm not passionate about and I can carry one all day long without thinking about it. It's the cold water antidote to gun fever for me. But, I do enjoy the platform and actually like the look and feel of them. Simple in design, simple in construction and simple in function. They have not been the most reliable gun I've owned and I've had more than a few that just did not run right. To this day, I regularly get pelted with brass to the face, but they still run.

Oddly, the most reliable platform I've owned over the years has been the 1911. Fewer issues than with the Glocks. Fewer issues than with the .40 CZs by far. Actually, no issues at all outside of occasionally running crap reloads through them. But, I cannot just get behind a single platform. I actually envy fanboys a bit in that they can just jump on a single platform and run it without getting bored and jumping to the next after a couple of weeks.

Anyone else out there unable to stick to a single platform?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    With the exception of the Shield and a 1911 I keep around but have shot once in the last decade, every semi-auto pistol I own is a TDA Sig Sauer. I also have my issued Glock. I figure I'll be shooting Sig for hammer fired and Glock for striker fired as long as I'm shooting. I have all the logistics of holsters, spare mags, replacement springs, etc. for those two platforms. I satisfy my "collector" bent with special edition Sigs or revolvers.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I know this disorder :) however, i just changed my diagnosis to “collector”
    Hahh! I prefer the term "enthusiast" myself, but I'm toeing the line at being a collector.

88, I hear you loud and clear. Variety is the spice of life, and such. But the truth is that there are a LOT of really fantastic platforms out there. My ultimate favorite platform has to be S&W K-Frame revolvers in 357, followed by the CZ 75 series, and it's hard for me to not like 1911 commanders. I'm normally not a fan of anything polymer, but have recently become slightly infatuated with my recent Hk P30SK purchase, which is now my EDC. So yeah... I'm a little bit all over the place too. :D

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't seem to have this problem. Maybe it is just because I am poor (or cheap, depending on you point of view). Every so often I look at other platforms and think maybe, but never take the plunge. I have a snub .38 and a 1911, but the majority of my 15,000 +/- rounds a year go through my Glocks.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I ended that problem a few years back. Had a mass selling off. Should have done it years ago. Its so nice to consolidate guns and calibers. AR,s and Glocks now. Keep a pump shotgun around just because.

I did take a couple of old Glenfield Marlin .22's in on a trade deal. Will be polishing those up and will be for sale shortly. Always lusted over those when I was a kid. Plan on a little range time to get that out of my system then sell them.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It’s intersting to look at the collection and see the variety of things, where things overlap and what stands apart.

The wife and I have 10 pistols between us, but the variety is all over the place. I get bored easily with things that are the same and the wife would prefer I keep a variety of guns than a variety of cars, it’s cheaper this way as well.

1/10 is a revolver (22 mag)
    2/10 are 22LRs
    2/10 are stiker fired (Both are PPQs)
    3/10 are polymer (also happen to the be only 9mms left)
    5/10 produce fireballs (22Mag, 22TCM, 10mm, 357Mag)
    2/10 are 1911 derivatives (RIA double stack & Coonan) but no true 1911s

The closest we have to a brand devotion is either the 3 Tanfoglios or the 2 Walthers.

The only commonalities are majority are metal framed (7/10) or hammer fired (8/10). Otherwise the theme has been fun and less common options, hence the oddball 22TCM, Coonan and Tanfoglios.

i do agree that collector or enthusiast are more appealing terms though. :D

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Yep, I cannot stick to the Highlander (There can be only one!) point of view. I love CZs but I also love my 1911s I do not like Glock but shoot them pretty good and they are ugly so I beat on them and don't care. I love my little Kahr K9 for summer carry and it is by far the Pistol I shoot the most accurately oddly enough. Recently I've found myself wondering into HKs (never thought I would but.. Oh well) Started with an HK USP 45 Tactical now I have a USP 9mm Expert too and am looking at a P30L pretty hard.

I guess I get bored easily. I do however hold myself to only two carry guns. Either my Glock 26 or my Kahr K9 are with me always depending on the conditions.

Calibers are where I draw the hard line.

9mm or .45ACP only for pistols

.223/5.56mm, 7.62x39, .308 only for long guns

12ga only for shotguns

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    HKs, Sigs, Glocks, now on to CZs. I am somewhat of a small fanboy when it comes to LWRC rifles. Looking to pick up my 4th....again (I've had a total of 6).

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm in it for the engineering and technology as well so if it's a disorder, better sign me in.

Not as much for obscure calibers but actions other than the tried and true short recoil tilting barrel. Don't get me wrong, I have several conventional guns (DA/SA short recoil pistols, AR15, bolt-action .308, 10/22, etc) but love the stuff that's just a little...different.

CZ52, Remington R51, HK P7M8, Bond Bullpup9 (Boberg XR9s), Calico carbine, X95, RFB

Recently I was looking for a target .22. ruger mark series? Victory? buckmark? pfft, far too plebeian. S&W 2206 is a good place to start lol.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I just reject monogamy. Well, with guns anyway.

They all have something to offer, so why not enjoy as many as you can? It isn't like they snore or nag you. They only make noise when you play with them (which really is the best kind of noise). If you like the way they look, put them where you can look at them, otherwise, lock them up until you want to fondle them again.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am a accumulator of S&W revolvers. I sway back and forth from various poly pistols, the most currant is a Glock 43 and 19. I think of the Glocks like a set of Craftsman sockets, not to exciting but a darn good tool.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    YES,, I know of this! I always venture from my chosen platform only to wonder***WHY!!!??

At the moment im looking at selling some of these WHY guns and get back on track with my chosen platform (1911)

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Ehhh. They're tools. Anymore they all pretty much do the job. I don't see the need to change them up very often.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Budget keeps me from straying into many platforms. I have a 1911, a CZ that I haven't warmed up to yet and a revolver. I almost exclusively shoot the 1911 though I am thinking of doing what my brother does. He picks one platform and shoots it for a year. He is a competitive IDPA shooter and focus's on the one gun for the season. It seems to work well for him.

I just would need to make a decision and stick with it, lol. Which would be hard.:) Unless I keep on with the 1911 and let the rest sit in the safe. But I really like revolvers...sheesh...

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My level of stink is directly proportional to how often I change guns, so it makes me crazy to swap back and forth except for just playing around at the range or something.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm with Woobie ..... I like to enjoy as many as I can.
    However, although I have handguns that are more visually attractive (even exciting !), when I leave the house, I almost always carry my Glock in a belt holster.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I definitely have MPPD. I have all three that you mentioned and enjoy all of them in there own way. 9, 40, and 45 will always be in my safe. Also just started down the road of assembling ARs, where my only experience before was in bolt-action rifles.

Top Bottom