• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Ugh. I have been going round and round and round on what to do about getting a new gun for next year's USPSA season. I currently compete in Limited Class with a minor power factor gun (can you say "stupid"??? :n00b:). I need something that can shoot Major Power Factor, and .40 seems to be the best option even though I am not really a .40 fan.

I really need to fix this, but the budget won't let me get something like a $3,000 STI DVC Limited or something similar.

I have a few options, at wildly varying price points, and I was hoping to get some opinions from the collective wisdom here on INGO. Ultimately, no one can make this decision but me, I get this, but I would love to hear some arguments for and against some of these options:

1) Add a .40 S&W conversion kit to my P226 Legion SAO. Approximate cost = $400 plus mags. (I can use my current holster and mag carriers.)
    https://www.sigsauer.com/store/caliber-x-change-kit-p226-40-auto-blk.html

2) Get Allen M. to build me a Limited gun in .40 S&W based on the 2011 frame style. ~cost = $2,500 plug mags, holster and mag carriers.

3) CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange (.40). ~cost = $1,800 plus mags (it comes with 3), holster and mag carriers.
    CZ-USA CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange - CZ-USA

4) Tanfolgio Limited Custom (.40). ~cost = $1,600 plus mags, holster and mag carriers.
    http://www.tanfoglio.it/eng/catalogo/sport-amp-competition/limited-custom.html

5) STI Edge (.40). ~cost = $2,300 plus mags, holster and mag carriers.
    https://stiguns.com/guns/edge/

I am also going to have to get .40 dies for my press so I can start loading for .40, so I need to factor some cost in there as well.

What advice might you folks give me here? I have checked for accessories for all of these guns, and they are available (mags, holsters, mag carriers, etc.), even for the Tanfoglio.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

blue edge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Its not all about just 40 S/W. In limited min bullet diameter is .401 for major PF. so you use 40 so you get the most rounds in the mag.
    So you should want the smallest bullet to make major,you want a mag that holds the most rounds, a gun that goes bang every time. After that
    its personal feel. Go to matches and ask guys if you can test fire there gun. I bet they will be happy to let shoot there gun. Then they will also be
    happy to tell you why there gun is the best. Try as many as you can then make up your own mind.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am in the same boat as you, I am going with the CZ Tac Sport Orange (though in 9mm I hate 40 and only load for 9 and 45). Tha magazines are significantly cheaper than STI, with an STI you are sinking $300+ in just magazines its ridiculous. The SAO on the Orange is great as well plus the fact it comes from the factory with enough magazines to compete is nice as well. Only thing you will really have to buy is a new belt, mag caddies and holster so for a complete rig with the Orange you still be spending at least $500 less than a comparable STI.

Also if you want an Orange in time for 2018 order now, the Gun Club quoted me a 6 month lead time just to get one, and I apparently have first dibs on the next 9mm that walks through the door.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Hands down I’d convert the Sig to 40 and spend more money on ammo and training/practice. Nothing helps more than trigger time.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    Personally, my vote would be 2011 by AllenM. Then followed by the CZ. However, your budget, how often you plan to compete, skill level, etc. are all factors. You may also consider shooting a 2011 vs CZ vs Sig. You may find one works better than the others for you!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Thanks for the input so far guys.

My first choice would be the Allen M. build. I have shot a couple of his guns, and they are amazing. But the cost of ownership is high, plus all the extras that go with it.

A couple of you have suggested shooting the gun before making the decision, and this is great advice, but as @dean crail as said, the CZ model I am interested is as rare as hen's teeth, as is the Tanfolgio. I am already shooting the SIG, and I love it.

I have just got started in USPSA (just a few matches so far), and although I am hooked, it does seem a bit extravagant to overspend on a too-of-the-line gun for such a new hobby.

Decisions, decisions...

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    2011 is the way to go for durability/quality/shoot-ability, etc, IMO. But it's not necessary, especially if you are fairly new and working your way up through the classes. My Lim gun is a G35 I won in a raffle, w/ about $250 in sights, drop in trigger, and mag extensions, and it doesn't hold me back [much].

A fun way to get in to a new gun is set a goal, with the new gun as the reward.... eg get that shiny new 2011 when you make Master. Gives you time to save pennies.

-rvb

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You might consider checking out the BE forum, lots of limited guns come up for sale in the classifieds and plenty of other sport specific info as well. I’ve bought two 2011s off the classifieds, picking the left one up at Brech Grove tomorrow!
    C107494C-C396-4474-9E2A-BE83BD25F2B2.jpg 272B90C2-CD87-493D-A1F0-E967C26630EF.jpg

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    DoubleHelix - check out oakhillguns (online, from PA) or the CZCustomshop. Oakhill gets a lot of choice inventory and it sits around for a few days before flying off the shelves. There's a couple other good shops online, I'll post again if I can remember which ones.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am in the same boat as you, I am going with the CZ Tac Sport Orange (though in 9mm I hate 40 and only load for 9 and 45). Tha magazines are significantly cheaper than STI, with an STI you are sinking $300+ in just magazines its ridiculous. The SAO on the Orange is great as well plus the fact it comes from the factory with enough magazines to compete is nice as well. Only thing you will really have to buy is a new belt, mag caddies and holster so for a complete rig with the Orange you still be spending at least $500 less than a comparable STI.

Also if you want an Orange in time for 2018 order now, the Gun Club quoted me a 6 month lead time just to get one, and I apparently have first dibs on the next 9mm that walks through the door.

I handled a TS Orange at the Point Blank in Greenwood on Saturday and I’m 99% it was a .40.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Unless money is unlimited, I think a newer shooter would be best served by buying a used Limited gun and shooting it a lot. Over time, as your skills develop, you'll learn more about what you want in a gun and and what you do not. Then when you know what you really want, buy it and then you have your first Limited gun as a backup. For doing Limited on the cheap, nothing beats a Glock 22/35. You could go that route until you really know what you want also.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Im out of town until the first of the year but if your interested in shooting a 2011 to see how it feels I’d meet up with you somewhere. I’m located on the north east side of Indy

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Im out of town until the first of the year but if your interested in shooting a 2011 to see how it feels I’d meet up with you somewhere. I’m located on the north east side of Indy

Thanks for the kind offer, and I never turn down an offer to shoot! I have shot a couple of 2011's that Allen M. made however, so I am pretty familiar with how they feel. I would still love to try out yours however. Thanks again, that is awesome!

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ha that’s cool man. I started hitting USPSA matches in the middle of last summer (shot 6 matches or so) and got hooked. I started with a Rock Island 9 double stack but have been working a bunch of overtime and since you can’t take it with you I ended up buying a customized Edge and then the sight tracker build pictured above. A year ago I wouldn’t have imagined dropping the coin for an STI
    or clone but it started making sense...anyway check out brian enos spot for both the classifieds and the other info.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Brian Enos has a great forum! I find I spend a good amount of time there just because of the wealth of knowledge about the Tanfoglios.

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    DoubleHelix - check out oakhillguns (online, from PA) or the CZCustomshop. Oakhill gets a lot of choice inventory and it sits around for a few days before flying off the shelves. There's a couple other good shops online, I'll post again if I can remember which ones.

Great shops @throttletony. Oak Hill Guns had me drooling all over my keyboard! :)

Top Bottom