• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Taurus seems to have some decent prices on revolvers. I was specifically looking at the Model 82 .38 Special with the 4-inch barrel. It's got a classic look in a blued finish and I think it's an attractive handgun.

But are they any good? I've read reviews that go both ways on them.

Here's a link to the particular gun on cheaper than dirt: https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...er-grips-blued-finish-2820041-725327200727.do

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I think their revolvers are much better than their semi-autos. Like anything, you get what you pay for... BUT, they do offer a lifetime warranty. All that being said, I've got a Taurus revolver and have had no issues with it and trust my life with it.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have an old model 85 revolver that is actually quite nice. It smoothed up easily and has a nice double and single action. I cannot speak to the quality of their newer ones.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got a 22 Magnum Tracker that I enjoy. It gives some hiccups if not throughly cleaned every 100 rounds or so, like there is a build up between the cylinder and the barrel. Haven’t had any serious issues with it that would prevent me from buying another Tracker. I’ve actually been thinking about one in 357.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    In that price point, in that caliber get a used S&W. Should be able to find double action only 64s (stainless) and da/sa model 10s at $300 no problem.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Not sure with the new stuff, but I have a revolver from the 80s I think. Taurus model 83. The single action is amazing. The double action is well above average. Finish is good and has worn very little.

Pacer06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    I've never owned a Taurus Revolver, but in general, I believe you get what you pay for, so if you are looking for a quality piece, I wouldn't start with the lowest priced brands.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I've never owned a Taurus Revolver, but in general, I believe you get what you pay for, so if you are looking for a quality piece, I wouldn't start with the lowest priced brands.

Id start wherever you like in the price range you want.. I've bought an $800 setup Sig p938. I shot my $280 Shield better. I still carry and shoot the shield. Got rid of the Sig.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yay or nay? Both. Internet forums share opinions and that is all. IMO the all metal classic Taurus revolvers are a pretty decent value. By that I mean the model 65, 66, 82 & 85 (from memory). I personally would not recommend any of the lightweight or polymer guns.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    A local gun store had a flash sale on the stainless model 85 Taurus so I went and looked at them, I was impressed enough to buy one and took it home and checked it out.
    It had a .005" barrel cylinder gap, the cylinders were .3575, the double action trigger was 11.5 lbs. single action was 3 lbs. And very smooth.
    I didn't find any machining marks anywhere. Finish was smooth and uniform. I took it to the range and shot several different loads through it and it performed flawlessly and shot to point of aim at seven yards. I loved the grips and the sights even though the sights were also stainless.
    I couldn't find anything wrong with it at all and I loved the price.
    What's not to like?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got an older M605 I only bought because a recent widow needed the money.
    Blue, wood, box and all.
    I'm not a Taurus fan but it's a beautiful gun, smooth, shoots better than I can shoot a revolver, and I've got close to 2K rounds of warm 357 reloads through it. It's still tight and smooth.
    I have no problem spending money on another Taurus wheel gun.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If it's in a revolver cartridge, I think they're ok. My GF had a revolver in .380. Terrible gun mainly because of the moon clips.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I owned a Taurus 85 for a few years. It was very nice gun. I've since moved on to a 642 but wouldn't hesitate to get another 85.

Top Bottom