Budget revolver review and comparison (5)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I thought I would do a short review and comparison of five budget revolvers. These are revolvers owned by myself and family members and priced around 300 dollars and below. No Colt Pythons etc obviously. The Charter Arms belongs to my wife and is her EDC. I have carried the Taurus 605 on occasion.

20171124_143355.jpg

Upper left: Armscor M200 38
    Six shot 4 inch barrel Weight 28 ounces
    Made in the Philippines
    Pros: Very inexpensive, purchased new in the 90's for under 150.00
    Cons: Kind of heavy

Middle Left: Rossi Revolver 38
    Six Shot 4 inch barrel Weight 28 ounces
    Made in Brazil
    Pros: Wood grip fits my hand nicely.
    Cons: Older gun, I bought it used for well under 200.00 and it does not have a model number stamped on it. Kind of heavy.

Lower Left: Taurus Model 605 38/357
    Five Shot 2 inch barrel Weight 24 ounces
    Made in Brazil
    Pros: Rated for 357
    Cons: It is light and has a small grip so shooting full power 357 loads is not comfortable for me.

Upper Right: EAA Windicator 38/357
    Six Shot 2 inch barrel Weight 28.8 ounces
    Made in Germany
    Pros: Rated for 357, due to the higher weight and slightly larger grip it handles the 357 loads much more comfortably than the Taurus in my opinion.
    Cons: Kind of heavy for carry.

Lower Right: Charter Arms Lavender Lady
    Five Shot 2 inch barrel Weight 12 ounces
    Made in USA
    Pros: USA manufactured, gun is light great for carry.
    Cons: Most expensive of the five guns tested.

I fired each revolver at seven yards with a full cylinder. So five or six shots depending on the model. I used regular 38 Special Remington target ammunition. There were absolutely no malfunctions or issues of any kind. Apparently budget revolvers don't have the kinds of issues that budget semi-autos seem to occasionally have. I really had trouble trying to rate the trigger pull of each gun so I will let the shooting results speak for themselves.

20171124_151104.jpg

20171124_150319_3226.jpg

20171124_150229.jpg

20171124_150305.jpg

20171124_150250_3224.jpg

I was a little surprised that the 4 inch revolvers didn't really do any better than the 2 inch snub nose. In fact the 2 inch barrels did a little better for me. I didn't have the targets (paper plates) supported very well so a few of the bullets kind of tore the target as they passed through as you can see especially with the EAA and Charter Arms which were the last 2 that I tested. The Rossi shoots low for me. I am not sure if that is normal for these guns or if it is just me.

It looks to me like the Taurus 605 did the best of the five but you can be the judge.

What I take from this is that budget revolvers can get the job done and are acceptable as self defense weapons if that's all you can afford. They won't beat out the Colts and Smith's which are awesome, but they can be a cheap alternative.

YMMV

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Thanks for the kind words. I had fun doing the comparison. It's always nice to have an excuse to shoot handguns. :D

I have always leaned towards the semi-autos but there is no denying the reliability and usefulness of a revolver. While anything mechanical can have issues the revolvers seem to be easier to operate and easier to clean afterwards. My wife prefers her Charter Arms for those reasons and I have no issues with carrying a revolver for personal protection.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking the Rossi shoots low because the front sight is a little higher than the rest. You could mark the front sight below the top point with some model paint or something to help you aim higher. Thanks for sharing. All of them look like nice groups to me. I love this type of thread.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm thinking the Rossi shoots low because the front sight is a little higher than the rest. You could mark the front sight below the top point with some model paint or something to help you aim higher. Thanks for sharing. All of them look like nice groups to me. I love this type of thread.

Thanks, I will give that a try with the Rossi. :yesway:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    This was a good review thanks for having fun and sharing. Not everything has to be the top dollar to enjoy I have fallen in that trap several times.

jones

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2017
    the country
    Good to see this comparison. I have the Charter Arms. It's a good enough pocket gun. I do want something a little nicer, however when I handle a Smith & Wesson in the LGS I just don't see why I need to buy it. It doesn't seem that much nicer than my Charter Arms. Maybe one day I'll trade my Charter in on the Smith but then again, maybe not.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I thought I would do a short review and comparison of five budget revolvers. These are revolvers owned by myself and family members and priced around 300 dollars and below. No Colt Pythons etc obviously. The Charter Arms belongs to my wife and is her EDC. I have carried the Taurus 605 on occasion.
    20171124_143355.jpg
    Upper left: Armscor M200 38
    Six shot 4 inch barrel Weight 28 ounces
    Made in the Philippines
    Pros: Very inexpensive, purchased new in the 90's for under 150.00
    Cons: Kind of heavy

Middle Left: Rossi Revolver 38
    Six Shot 4 inch barrel Weight 28 ounces
    Made in Brazil
    Pros: Wood grip fits my hand nicely.
    Cons: Older gun, I bought it used for well under 200.00 and it does not have a model number stamped on it. Kind of heavy.

Lower Left: Taurus Model 605 38/357
    Five Shot 2 inch barrel Weight 24 ounces
    Made in Brazil
    Pros: Rated for 357
    Cons: It is light and has a small grip so shooting full power 357 loads is not comfortable for me.

Upper Right: EAA Windicator 38/357
    Six Shot 2 inch barrel Weight 28.8 ounces
    Made in Germany
    Pros: Rated for 357, due to the higher weight and slightly larger grip it handles the 357 loads much more comfortably than the Taurus in my opinion.
    Cons: Kind of heavy for carry.

Lower Right: Charter Arms Lavender Lady
    Five Shot 2 inch barrel Weight 12 ounces
    Made in USA
    Pros: USA manufactured, gun is light great for carry.
    Cons: Most expensive of the five guns tested.

I fired each revolver at seven yards with a full cylinder. So five or six shots depending on the model. I used regular 38 Special Remington target ammunition. There were absolutely no malfunctions or issues of any kind. Apparently budget revolvers don't have the kinds of issues that budget semi-autos seem to occasionally have. I really had trouble trying to rate the trigger pull of each gun so I will let the shooting results speak for themselves.
    20171124_150229.jpg 20171124_150250[3224].jpg 20171124_150305.jpg 20171124_150319[3226].jpg 20171124_151104.jpg

Images re-added to the thread.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I owned an M200 and a 4" EAA. Did not care for either. The Armscor would lock up for no reason and required fiddling with the hammer, cylinder, and trigger to get it to unlock and start cycling again. The EAA was a tank which worked better, but I thought the serrations on the trigger were uncomfortable and the trigger itself was very heavy and not enjoyable to shoot.

No personal time on Charter, Rossi, or Taurus revolver products yet. After the above I bought a Model 10 and that was it for "cheap revolvers" for me.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I owned an M200 and a 4" EAA. Did not care for either. The Armscor would lock up for no reason and required fiddling with the hammer, cylinder, and trigger to get it to unlock and start cycling again. The EAA was a tank which worked better, but I thought the serrations on the trigger were uncomfortable and the trigger itself was very heavy and not enjoyable to shoot.

No personal time on Charter, Rossi, or Taurus revolver products yet. After the above I bought a Model 10 and that was it for "cheap revolvers" for me.
    Was your Model 10 better or worse than the others? Been looking to buy another 38 special / .357 revolver.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nice!
    My Taurus 856's and 942's have become favorites. The 942 (22lr) and 856 Defender triggers are some of the best out of the box I've tried. Love em. I could shoot the 942 all day.
    I seen an 856 SS at lgs awhile back 2" barrel. They are supposed to come with 3" barrels also. If I find a SS 3" 856 I think I'll buy it if it isn't more than around $325 or so. They look well made. Felt good in the hand. The one I looked at had nice wood grips.

1622515922873.png

They come with night sight on the front also.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I seen an 856 SS at lgs awhile back 2" barrel. They are supposed to come with 3" barrels also. If I find a SS 3" 856 I think I'll buy it if it isn't more than around $325 or so. They look well made. Felt good in the hand. The one I looked at had nice wood grips.

View attachment 142210

They come with night sight on the front also.
    I have that exact gun and love it. Mine came with the VZ grips which I don't like, so I put the stock standard rubber grip that also came in the box on it and it makes the whole thing smaller and fits my hand better.

Top Bottom