• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I have seen a few of these articles...yet no one seems to even hint at a price. If i want one of these am I going to need to sell my house and camp outside their headquarters to get one?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have seen a few of these articles...yet no one seems to even hint at a price. If i want one of these am I going to need to sell my house and camp outside their headquarters to get one?

Be aware these are not top shelf pieces. They have all been used/abused/and put up wet. No knock on the guns just need to point out most of them are just a tad beyond "Broken/shot" in.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Be aware these are not top shelf pieces. They have all been used/abused/and put up wet. No knock on the guns just need to point out most of them are just a tad beyond "Broken/shot" in.

True but there are quite a few that has been in storage and unissued as well...I am certain CMP will put those in the Kraft boxes on auction and they'll go higher than a kite...I have got a 1944 Remington Rand in here that looks like it MAY have had 100 rounds through it at most......Many of them were used but there are many still in storage.....

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    This is some info I got back in July

CMP M1911A1 Status

Mr. Mark Johnson, the CMP Chief Operating Officer, gave the group of folks in the Range Officer Class some updates on the CMP’s M1911A1 Sales prospects. As those of you who have been following this know, it has been a real bureaucratic and political boondoggle and continues to be one.

But, the good news; the M1911A1’s are gathered up and packed in shipping containers, set aside awaiting the authorization to ship them to CMP. But, the picture gets more muddled from there.

The pistols need to be released by the Assistant Secretary of the Army (ASoA).

The previous authorizing legislation said that the ASoA “may” release them. The previous ASoA declined to do so for various internal and external reasons. This year’s enabling legislation says that the ASoA “will” release them, not a choice he needs to make. But – there is no ASoA; his appointment has been caught up in the decision of one political party to impede the functionality of the present administration in every way it can. Whoever is appointed is going to be buried and it is unlikely that these pistols are going to be one of his top priorities.

Then, there are all of the congressional roadblocks to the program.

Having an organization chartered by Congress (CMP) selling handguns to civilians gives the anti-gun people spasms. Whereas CMP can conduct an on-line background check and deliver an M1 rifle to your door; to sell M1911A1 pistols CMP had to register as an FFL holder – and M1911A1 sales and transfers will have to be done through an FFL holder. Reports continue to circulate that there will be sold on the Internet to anyone who signs up for them.

A further roadblock; one proposal is to only allow a small initial sale (maybe 5,000 pistols), then wait a year and see how many of these guns are traced through crime reports as having been used in crimes.

The people in Congress who have to act on these proposals do not know what an M1911A1 is; Mr. Johnson is making the rounds to the appropriate people telling the story “This is not a cheap pistol that Bubba is going to throw under the seat of his truck, it is a collector item that goes in a gun safe”.

Some other details:

CMP learned from M1 sales. There will be a one gun per year limit on sales. When they announce that the sales will start on x-date, they expect over 10K applications in the next mail delivery- seriously!

They are not going to be cheap, expect $800 and up depending on grade and manufacturer. The enabling legislation requires the CMP to sell these at “ … fair market value …”. Mr. Johnson made the comment “Let me know if you can find an original M1911A1 for under $500 anywhere and I’ll buy it”. Remington’s go for $800 -$900 +. A CMP 1911A1 may come in a collector case. The price will probably have an FFL transfer fee built into it – the buyer will not have to pay an additional transfer fee.

There may be a lot of pieces and parts that can be built up into CMP special grade pistols – to be seen. Look for an “as-issued M1911A1” match at the CMP National Pistol Matches.

He makes absolutely no prediction as to “when” – just that this probably will happen – whenever.

Hope this helps

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I 'may' have started a thread on this...but we are still waiting for the NDAA to be signed. When it is we will get a good idea of then the weapons will be available.

And yeah, I'll be in the market...just because I carried them back when.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    True but there are quite a few that has been in storage and unissued as well...I am certain CMP will put those in the Kraft boxes on auction and they'll go higher than a kite...I have got a 1944 Remington Rand in here that looks like it MAY have had 100 rounds through it at most......Many of them were used but there are many still in storage.....

I have one from the early 40's but it went through the process before my Uncle passed it to me. It is top shelf. But only because he saw to it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have one from the early 40's but it went through the process before my Uncle passed it to me. It is top shelf. But only because he saw to it.

Next time you're down take a look at the Remington Rand and see if I am right about it...I saw no refurbished stamp on it and it is late 1944...I got a 1918 Colt 1911 that was refurbished for the war but never issued after...A customer gave it to me...A very good customer....

He hasn't paid for a transfer in 6 years....He tries and I will not budge...:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Next time you're down take a look at the Remington Rand and see if I am right about it...I saw no refurbished stamp on it and it is late 1944...I got a 1918 Colt 1911 that was refurbished for the war but never issued after...A customer gave it to me...A very good customer....

He hasn't paid for a transfer in 6 years....He tries and I will not budge...:)

I do so want to get down there.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008

My son-in-law, LEO, has a Remington Rand that was issued to him several years back. It's in pretty decent condition and is a great shooter. I hope they pass this and put more of these on the market.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    When I was at the CMP in October, they said it would be a minimum of 18 months from the day they received them before they’d be available to purchase. It will take them that long to acquire, re-tool, hire people and make sure they’re functional. So hopefully by Mid 2019 we will have an opportunity to purchase.

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    Read on another forum, they will likely start between 800.00 - 1000.00. Will be mail-order sales only, no cmp store sales. Each buyer will be limited to 1 pistol per year. This was allegedly forwarded from the cmp to a member on another forum.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Read on another forum, they will likely start between 800.00 - 1000.00. Will be mail-order sales only, no cmp store sales. Each buyer will be limited to 1 pistol per year. This was allegedly forwarded from the cmp to a member on another forum.

"Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt."
    -- Mark Johnson 12/05/2017

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    When I was at the CMP in October, they said it would be a minimum of 18 months from the day they received them before they’d be available to purchase. It will take them that long to acquire, re-tool, hire people and make sure they’re functional. So hopefully by Mid 2019 we will have an opportunity to purchase.

I think this is most realistic time frame that I've seen. Though well discussed already, if the grades are similar to how they did the Garands, I'm interested. I would suspect that the AVERAGE quality of the batch will be less than what we have seen from CMP in the past. Going to be a lot of pistols with a lot of miles and rebuilds on them and ain't none of 'em gonna be liquidation prices. Full on retail.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I should visit Indiucky again, sounds like he's got more interesting things for sale.

Top Bottom