• ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Picked up a M&P 2.0 FDE (5") recently and finally got some rounds through it.

Lots of complete reviews online so I won't attempt that here but I have to say that it is a big step up from the original M&P.

Accuracy was solid out to 25 yards. 4" groups with Federal Champion offhand (last time I ever purchase this inconsistent crap...WWB and American Eagle are at least relatively consistent crap...but I digress). That's the best my old multi-focal eyes will do. For some reason I am pulling shots low or either dead on. Kinda puzzled by that as the trigger is near Apex. I'm sure more range time will solve it and will probably move to a larger grip panel. I grew up with 1911's and revolver triggers, so I have always struggled with striker fired triggers - but I digress again...

Speaking of the trigger. It seems to be nearly that of my Performance Center 9L trigger which I find quite acceptable - even a little smoother on the take up. The 2.0 trigger is far far better than the standard 1.0 trigger. I would prefer a flat faced trigger but overall the 2.0 trigger is pretty darn good for a factory trigger.

A common complaint is the grip texture. At first feel, it does seem aggressive but under shooting conditions it is excellent and eliminates (well mostly) that feeling of holding onto slippery plastic. IWB carry with skin to grip contact could be an issue for some but I do prefer the new grip texture.

Trigger reset is positive. Overtravel is acceptable for an out of the box gun. Mag release is quick to find. Factory three dot sights are decent enough. Aesthetically, the gun has a nice look to it, I could do without the exposed frame section, not sure what/why we can see the metal part to the front of the slide lock, the M2.0 on the slide and why can't they match the color of the slide to the polymer perfectly? It is more pronounced in the picture below. I know - differing materials, application, etc. but still...

If you are in the market for a handgun; do not discount the 2.0 models based upon your experiences or pre-conceived notions of the original M&P.

Sw-mp-m2.0-1024x576.jpg

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Congratulations! I have a buddy that has that same exact gun in FDE, and he loves his as well. Sounds like they got it right with this gun!

I already have my one obligatory striker-fired gun (H&K VP9), and all the rest of my guns are hammer-fired, which I prefer by far.

If I was in the market, I would not hesitate for one second to try this puppy out. I would probably go black however rather than the FDE... just my preference.

Congrats once again!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I haven’t attempted to carry a 2.0, but I’ve done quite a bit of shooting with one, and I absolutely love the grips! Next to my EDC 1911, the 2.0 is my second favorite shooter. I will be purchasing one in the next few months.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    The 5" model is limited to the FDE (at least, I think it is) and, frankly, it was a GunBroker "no reserve" steal. Which is small step in making up for all the bids I make 20% over what I said I would spend!

Safety doesn't bother me but, again, my roots are 1911 so a thumb safety is second nature. The safety has a positive engagement (for plastic). Seems like you could remove it and cap the hole as the non-safety model has a plug. I am sure everyone's favorite gunsmith (Google) could tell us...I've haven't looked at the mechanicals. Heck, haven't even cleaned it. Gave it a couple drops of oil and headed to the range.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I picked up a 2.0 in Black with 4"ish barrel last night. I can't wait to shoot it. It already has apex stuff in it...so don't know trigger difference....but damn it feels nice!

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Picked up a M&P 2.0 FDE (5") recently and finally got some rounds through it.

Lots of complete reviews online so I won't attempt that here but I have to say that it is a big step up from the original M&P.

Accuracy was solid out to 25 yards. 4" groups with Federal Champion offhand (last time I ever purchase this inconsistent crap...WWB and American Eagle are at least relatively consistent crap...but I digress). That's the best my old multi-focal eyes will do. For some reason I am pulling shots low or either dead on. Kinda puzzled by that as the trigger is near Apex. I'm sure more range time will solve it and will probably move to a larger grip panel. I grew up with 1911's and revolver triggers, so I have always struggled with striker fired triggers - but I digress again...

Speaking of the trigger. It seems to be nearly that of my Performance Center 9L trigger which I find quite acceptable - even a little smoother on the take up. The 2.0 trigger is far far better than the standard 1.0 trigger. I would prefer a flat faced trigger but overall the 2.0 trigger is pretty darn good for a factory trigger.

A common complaint is the grip texture. At first feel, it does seem aggressive but under shooting conditions it is excellent and eliminates (well mostly) that feeling of holding onto slippery plastic. IWB carry with skin to grip contact could be an issue for some but I do prefer the new grip texture.

Trigger reset is positive. Overtravel is acceptable for an out of the box gun. Mag release is quick to find. Factory three dot sights are decent enough. Aesthetically, the gun has a nice look to it, I could do without the exposed frame section, not sure what/why we can see the metal part to the front of the slide lock, the M2.0 on the slide and why can't they match the color of the slide to the polymer perfectly? It is more pronounced in the picture below. I know - differing materials, application, etc. but still...

If you are in the market for a handgun; do not discount the 2.0 models based upon your experiences or pre-conceived notions of the original M&P.

Sw-mp-m2.0-1024x576.jpg

I had the chance to shoot a 2.0 and really like it, I was going to buy a Sig 320 but I'm buying an M&P 2.0 instead now the question should I get the 4.25 or the 5 inch.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had the chance to shoot a 2.0 and really like it, I was going to buy a Sig 320 but I'm buying an M&P 2.0 instead now the question should I get the 4.25 or the 5 inch.

Don't forget the new 2.0 4" compact (similar size to the Glock 19)... I've got one (well ok, I bought 2, because you know 2 is 1, and 1 is none, etc) and really like it. It is a completely different size than the old 9c.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I prefer the 5" for the extra sight radius plus this is going to be back up gun to another 5" M&P so I can just grab and go in case of failure. Very little muzzle rise with that little bit of extra weight.

The compact is being well received and, to me, it has a great feel. Would probably be a lot less Shields in the world if they'd made a G19 sized M&P years ago.

vangurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    Nice write up! I just go the compact and I've only got to shoot it once so far but was very impressed with it. The trigger, in my opinion, made all the difference in the world compared to the 1.0.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    I have the exact same gun as you it was my first M&P so I cant compare past models but I really like the way the gun shoots and the texture is perfect for me. I use the large blackstrap fits my hand very well. In my opinion they hit a home run with this model.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I have the exact same gun as you it was my first M&P so I cant compare past models but I really like the way the gun shoots and the texture is perfect for me. I use the large blackstrap fits my hand very well. In my opinion they hit a home run with this model.

I think you are right. Would like to understand the thinking behind offering the 5" in FDE only and no black. Maybe when the PC models come out they will be black and I can replace my current 9L PC gun.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville

I have had a few M&P's in the past and I really like them except that I had to ad talon grips or buy the PC to get the texture backstraps, I rented a 2.0 and I was able to shoot very well with it and it felt great in my hand. I shot The 2.0 just as good as the original M&P's the only obvious difference is the texture, M&P's are good reliable handguns as I have not encounter any issues in the past and now I'm looking forward to put the 2.0 through its paces.

Top Bottom