Glock 19 w/ Trijicon HD sights POI question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Hi,

I've got a new Gen 4 G19 with factory plastic sights. At 25 yards I am hitting about 8"-10" high. Upgrading the sights was on the to do list anyhow. I'm looking at Trijicon HD's. I wanted to check with the forum and see if anybody has a set on a G19 and whether there is a difference between POA and POI. I checked the Trijicon website and it shows the front and rear sights are .215" and .231" respectively. The factory Glock sights are .165" and .256". The numbers tell me that my POI will drop, but I don't know how much. Does anybody know the real-world results I will likely see by switching to Trijicons?

Stay Safe,

comm2679

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't own a Glock 19, but I've got Trijicons on four pistols I can think of off the top of my head. With some variation between examples they either hit at the top of the dot or at the top of the front sight.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have TWO G19 gen 4s with Trijicons. Not HD. Standard 3 dot greens. Old school
    BOTH hit top edge of front sight.
    Are you running any of the back straps on the gun?
    I can't use the back straps on mine. IF I do I shoot High Left. Not a good fit for my hand with the back straps.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    I'm not running backstraps. I came from the Gen 3 so I'm used to that grip. Seems like Trijicon has it nailed on the POI then. I'll feel confident when my cheap self finally orders a set. Thanks guys!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm not running backstraps. I came from the Gen 3 so I'm used to that grip. Seems like Trijicon has it nailed on the POI then. I'll feel confident when my cheap self finally orders a set. Thanks guys!

Before I spent the bucks I'd look for other causes of you shooting so high. UNLESS you've got a rear too high or front too low I"m not seeing how you can get that high on paper...
    Just thinking out loud here.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Before I spent the bucks I'd look for other causes of you shooting so high. UNLESS you've got a rear too high or front too low I"m not seeing how you can get that high on paper...
    Just thinking out loud here.

That's what I'm thinking. I would let a couple of others try it first to see if they get the same results. No point spending money on sights if Glock needs to fix something.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have trijicon xr hd sights on two pistols a gen 3 glock 19 and a full size m&p 2.0. I cover the bulls eye at 20 yards with the dot, and as long as I do my part it hits the bulls eye. I've shot the glock 19 out to 70 yards just putting the front sight on the 4" square gong.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Actually, no back strap is a reduced grip. The medium back strap is the same size at the Gen 3 grip. Then the large back strap is a step larger grip. They did this to allow people with smaller hands to secure a better grip. I've never heard of the factory sights shooting that high at 25 yards. 8-10" at 25 yards is a SIGNIFICANT elevation of the barrel. POA/POI should be line the tops of the sight through the middle of the target and you will get center mass hits every time, 50yrds and in. That doesn't take into account human error or that you have a short front sight.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    8-10" high with factory sights seems VERY weird. On a side note, i would say the trijicon sights are g2g. A friend of mine has them on his shield and swears by them. I personally like dawson precision sights if i use aftermarket sights on my glocks.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ... I checked the Trijicon website and it shows the front and rear sights are .215" and .231" respectively. The factory Glock sights are .165" and .256". The numbers tell me that my POI will drop, but I don't know how much. Does anybody know the real-world results I will likely see by switching to Trijicons?....

Using the numbers you provided, you will effectively be raising the front sight by 0.075". Assuming a 6" sight radius and a 25 yd (900") distance to target...

(distance to target) 900" x (sight change) 0.075" divided by (sight radius) 6" = (amount of change) 11.25"

I reconfigured the formula from Brownells to solve for "amount of error" (amount of change) instead of "amount of correction"...https://www.brownells.com/guntech/sight_correction_calculator/detail.htm?lid=13093

This also assumes your sight picture is 'top of rear/ top of front sight = POA' with both the factory and Trijicon HD sights. Using this alignment and "covering the bullseye" with the HD's orange dot will change your POA.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'll have a few others try it out and see where they hit.

Come down to Southport some morning through the week when I'm free and we'll head over to Shoot Point Blank range.
    I'll bring both my 19s with Trijicons and one without night sights. They all shoot basically the same POI. Bring yours. We'll quickly figure out if you have a sight issue.
    No more guessing about the sights.

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Using the numbers you provided, you will effectively be raising the front sight by 0.075". Assuming a 6" sight radius and a 25 yd (900") distance to target...

(distance to target) 900" x (sight change) 0.075" divided by (sight radius) 6" = (amount of change) 11.25"

I reconfigured the formula from Brownells to solve for "amount of error" (amount of change) instead of "amount of correction"...https://www.brownells.com/guntech/sight_correction_calculator/detail.htm?lid=13093

This also assumes your sight picture is 'top of rear/ top of front sight = POA' with both the factory and Trijicon HD sights. Using this alignment and "covering the bullseye" with the HD's orange dot will change your POA.

Quality post right here! Thanks!

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    Come down to Southport some morning through the week when I'm free and we'll head over to Shoot Point Blank range.
    I'll bring both my 19s with Trijicons and one without night sights. They all shoot basically the same POI. Bring yours. We'll quickly figure out if you have a sight issue.
    No more guessing about the sights.

Thanks for the invite and offer! Ive never been there. If they have 25 yards I might take you up on that. I've got a buddy who instructs. If I can't get him to shoot it in the next couple of days I'll let you know.

Top Bottom