Anyone else move to .40 or .45 for winter carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Title says it all. Any others out there that feel better running a .40 or .45 come winter? Along the same lines, anyone move to a larger pistol in heavy jacket weather due to easier concealment? Personally, I have put the 9mm pistols up and am mostly carrying my G23 right now. Once I figure the extractor BTF issue out, the G30 will get some carry time as well. I'd be carrying a G21 but my son has it while he's waiting on his Sig P320 to get tweaked by Sig. The 1911s are coming out again as well, but don't get as much carry time due to the smaller trigger guards being less glove friendly. I'm really liking the G23 now though.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Uh you would really want to move in the other direction a 9mm will have more penetration on a bad guys heavy winter coat.
    I will be carrying my S&W 19 more.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My 10mm Glock is my usual winter carry but my recent purchase of a HK VP9 has set that back a year. Money for 10mm ammo went to the HK.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Nope I carry the same guns year round regardless , Dan Wesson ECO or VBOB in 45acp or a Smith and Wesson 360pd loaded with the new Federal 38spl +p

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    4 inch

Its kinda hard to conceal in shorts and a t-shirt.

My EDC carry line up

Sig 250 C 9mm
    S&W Sheild 9mm
    S&W 19 4 inch

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've jumped over to the M&P 2.0 Compact in 9mm. Had been carrying my Glock 43. So no caliber change. Same position, same exact brand/make of holster, etc. As you stated, bigger gun, more glove friendly.

If I were to need to be ultra concealed, the 43 would come back out as it holds just a bit tighter/flatter that the 2.0. Normally I would have gone to one of my Glock 19's as I am a big believer in single platform if at all possible, but liking the 2.0 a lot so carrying it. No difference in mode of operation (striker fired, no safety, etc and as stated same location of carry, and still using a Galco King Tuk IWB hybrid holster) so doesn't concern me much on a switch up.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Just curious, but why change calibers in winter? I understand that you can conceal a larger gun under a coat, but why change caliber? I see going from a G43 or G19 to a G17 because of it being easier to conceal now, but, if you really want to carry a .40 or .45, there are subcompact options in those calibers. I don't understand going from a shield to a 1911 or similar change.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just curious, but why change calibers in winter? I understand that you can conceal a larger gun under a coat, but why change caliber? I see going from a G43 or G19 to a G17 because of it being easier to conceal now, but, if you really want to carry a .40 or .45, there are subcompact options in those calibers. I don't understand going from a shield to a 1911 or similar change.

Some folks are concerned with winter coats and clothing hindering smaller calibers, stopping up hollow points, etc. I am not one of them, but that is the main reason I hear folks doing so.

Again, not something I have a particular concern with myself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some folks are concerned with winter coats and clothing hindering smaller calibers, stopping up hollow points, etc. I am not one of them, but that is the main reason I hear folks doing so.

Again, not something I have a particular concern with myself.

If someone makes a winter coat that hinders 9mm, I want one!

Top Bottom