• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I've got a Glock 34 MOS that just won't sell so I figured I would just have some fun with it. I just picked up a Vortex Venom, and now what? I understand how to mount it, but how should I shoot it in? I don't have cowitness height sights on it yet so I can't just drive it to the sight post. Do I need to figure out a vice or? I've shot optics on an M&P and liked it, but I did not sight it in. And a follow up question, should I put cowitness height sights on it? I do not plan on this being anything other than a plink pistol so there is no "tactical" value in them, is there a practical value other than back up?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a PCC that is just a range plinker and do not have BUIS on the gun. I assume I would treat a pistol the same.

Like mentioned above, sight it in like any other optic. To go farther into detail I would probably do this at 15 yards. This should put a 9mm back on again at 50 yards.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    [h=1]BALLISTICS CALCULATOR[/h]​

Load Number:AE9SUP1 Zero Range:50 yd
    Caliber:9mm Luger (9x19mm Parabellum) Temperature:59 °F
    Bullet Style:Full Metal Jacket Wind Speed:10 mph
    Bullet Weight:124 gr Altitude:0 feet
    Ballistic Coefficient:0.159 Max Range:50 yd
    Muzzle Velocity:1030 fps Test Barrel:4 in
    Sight Height:1 in

Range (yd)Drop (in)Wind Drift (in)Velocity (fps)Energy (ft-lb)
    0-1.00.01030292
    10-0.10.01016284

May want to play with the distance that you zero the optic at if you are fussy, else what they said. I did not have a need for co-witness since my set up is just a range toy.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Start with paper at 10 yards. When you have a nice tight group at your POA/POI move to 25 and do some fine tuning if need be.

I have cowitness sights on my carry gun with RMR but not on my Competition gun with the DPP. Part of this is because with the combination of MOS and DPP the irons need to be outrageously tall, about a half of an inch. Another reason is I just don't really need them on the competition gun, it isn't life and death. (for me) Some teach that the iron sights visible through the window is critical so that you can use them as training wheels for the optic. I would rather have a good index that drives the gun and dot right into your line of sight. Of course that can mean a lot of practice, and there is no doubt it is even more difficult on one hand shots.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Draw a half to one-inch dot with a sharpie marker on a bright-white piece of paper 7 yards away. Two inches is too big. (I have found it works best if you do it at a distance where the scope-dot and sharpie dot appear about the same size).If you use bright-white paper and have reasonable eyesight, you will not even need to walk downrange to check the shot.

Load 5 or 10 rounds in the magazine, and employing proper marksmanship fundamentals, fire one shot at it. (Visually, you just match the dot to the dot).

Call your shot (ie, did the red dot move as the shot went off?). Then look at the result.

If you called the shot good, but it isn't on the dot, reach in your bag, get a screwdriver, and turn the necessary dial(s) a handful of clicks in the indicated direction. Fire another shot. Rinse, lather, repeat.

You should have it in about 5 shots, and an equal number of minutes. (Maybe ten?). This is all you need to get started.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    As a bonus, this optic was free thanks to Hilton letting me use my points on amazon. I am in a hotel 1 to 2 months a year thanks to work so I didn't even pay for the points in the first place.

Top Bottom