• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I know this comes up periodically, but how often do you guys (if ever) do a full tear down and clean of your pistols?

Some guns have a published schedule for spring replacement, and other than the recoil spring, replacing the other springs (main spring, sear spring, etc.) requires at least a partial disassembly.

Thanks.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Pends on the handgun.

Autos get it a field strip and close cleaning pretty regularly, particularly anything with aluminum rails (e.g. Sig).

Rimfires are nasty buggers, and they'll usually TELL you when they have to be cleaned because they stop working quite as well.

Revolvers...

well...I'm paraphrasing a quotable speaker, but: "Revolvers are almost impervious to neglect, but they do NOT tolerate abuse." I clean the barrels and cylinder regularly, sorta as a "field strip" mentaility. I wipe down and clean all externals fairly regularly. But as for a "deep clean" full take down? Almost never.

More revolvers probably get screwed over functionally and/or aesthetically by inexperienced hands than by any other factor.

-Nate

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Deep clean? Once every 15k rounds. That means completely detail strip everything down to the smallest part and run through the ultrasonic until spotless.

Other than that, my polymer pistols might get a very light brushing and bore snake every 5k or so if they’re lucky.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I like this thread.

I will do a brief "field" cleaning/removing excess crap (brush down the barrel and a drop of lube) every 500-1000 rds or so, and a brush down the chambers of my revolver every 200-300 rds since I shoot a lot of 38 from a 357 cylinder and it gums up the front of chamber/throat a bit.

Deep clean, like disassembly, USED to be often because I liked disassembling and cleaning it, and swapping springs where possible. Now, with 3 kids and more demands on my time, it's almost never.
    Also, it's very different if we're talking about a Glock vs a CZ 75 vs a 1911 vs a revolver -- there's different levels of stripping them down.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tend to do a casual swab and clean every time I take one out.
    I just started the major down to the pins deep detail cycle. Do this about now every year.
    Inspect everything. Polish things that need it and if bored polish stuff that does not need it.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I recently stripped a Gen.3 Glock frame completely down to just the plastic frame. Then cleaned the frame in the kitchen sink with an old toothbrush and dawn detergent.
    Cleaned all metal parts (with traditional gun solvents) and gave them a light coat of oil to help protect them. I wish years ago that I would have known how easy it is to strip a Glock down.
    Anyway to answer the question. I do a detail clean when I know I won't be shooting said firearm for several months to maybe years.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Depends on the gun for me. My 1911s get a boresnake, wipe down and lube after each range trip and a field strip and cleaning after 250 or so rounds. If it's aluminum framed, then it's field stripped after just about every range trip. CZs are similar, but I tend to let those go to maybe 500 rounds. Polymer guns go a bit higher than that and my striker fired guns (P10C, G23, G30sf and G21) get a boresnake once in a while and then a field strip and cleaning between 500 and 1000 rounds or when they get overly dirty. A complete detail strip and clean happens about every 1000 rounds on a 1911, but is not done unless I'm doing maintenance on everything else. A complete detail strip is a PITA on Glocks, CZs and just about everything I own that's not a 1911.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I do a meticulous field strip on my semi-autos after every range trip, as I never know for sure how long any particular piece might sit before I have a chance to wring it out again. I go to town with a nylon brush, q-tips, patches, and a plastic pick for the nooks that are hard to reach. For the 1911, I remove the firing pin and clean the channel at least once a year, along with the extractor while I have the backplate off. I occasionally take the magazines apart to clean and inspect. For revolvers (all S&W), the crane and cylinder come off after each range trip, as a dirty crane can cause cylinder binding. I'm really careful not to bugger up the screw head, and put black electrical tape around the crane screw so I don't accidentally scratch the sideplate. I very rarely remove the sideplate... those all came off when new to install Wilson Combat spring kits, and got a very light lubing with some Hornady "One Shot" dry lube at that time. I do remove the revolver grips at least once a year to make sure nothing is going on underneath that might need attention, and usually put a light coat of automotive wax on to prevent potential spots from creeping in.

I still think Ruger revolvers, at least the SP101 and GP100 lines, make it so easy to do a thorough, deep cleaning. After a little practice, you could have one stripped to the bare frame in a handful of minutes, giving you access to just about every single piece for a complete wash & shine.

I don't break things all the way down to the pins and springs unless I'm doing some sort of parts swap or upgrade.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    These are my guns that my life could depend on. After every day at the range 3-4 hundred rounds, I detail strip my Glocks to wipe down every part. I also take the time to look over each part while I wipe it down. I went through the Glock Armorer School years ago and they haven't changed very much in all those years.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I do a full disassembly once a year. I usually do this during one of those brutally, cold winter days when your stuck indoors. This is especially important for my mil surps, regardless of round count, as there are constant works-in-progress of patina removal. There always seems to be one spot I missed last time. :rolleyes:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oona-Chaplin-Laugh.gif

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Usually once a year. Unless I spend a day at a class and my 1911 sits on a table getting rained on. :) That night it was completely stripped down, soaked, cleaned, dried and oiled.

When it comes to revolvers I have not been in the practice of removing side covers to clean. They are pain enough to clean the rest!:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Depends on the gun for me. My 1911s get a boresnake, wipe down and lube after each range trip and a field strip and cleaning after 250 or so rounds. If it's aluminum framed, then it's field stripped after just about every range trip. CZs are similar, but I tend to let those go to maybe 500 rounds. Polymer guns go a bit higher than that and my striker fired guns (P10C, G23, G30sf and G21) get a boresnake once in a while and then a field strip and cleaning between 500 and 1000 rounds or when they get overly dirty. A complete detail strip and clean happens about every 1000 rounds on a 1911, but is not done unless I'm doing maintenance on everything else. A complete detail strip is a PITA on Glocks, CZs and just about everything I own that's not a 1911.

I have found that using the seafoam product we talked about does a great job floating the crap out of all those nooks/cranny's and tiny parts in my CZ's. An air hose and then some H #9 and more air finishes it off nicely. It gets deep into the works.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Full tear down/detail- only if the gun is developing problems
    general cleaning- revolvers every rare time I shoot them, pistols might get a rub down if the outside if disgusting from suppressor blowback

I consider all semi autos in a "testing until proven reliable" phase, which is really a skewed test because I've seen plenty of revolvers fail, I just like to do it cause I like knowing the stopping point of a gun

Luka93A

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 28, 2017
    North Vernon
    Is it possible to clean your gun too much? I recently bought a pistol but I've been field stripping it each time I get home. Seems like a silly question after typing it, but after this thread, I feel like I'm overdoing it now.

Top Bottom