• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Guys, I romancing the idea of a single action in .357 to go along with my lever guns. May start looking at LGS this week. Gonna see if any of them will trade against my ss GP100 which I have not used in a long time. Maybe it's the kid in me but seems a SA would be nice to go along with my lever guns in .357. I reload the .357 for my rifles using the old standby Elmer Keith loads which the GP handles quite well. Can anyone recommend some good single actions that will handle that. Are the Rugers about the only ones stout enough ?

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you like your Ruger, why not a New Model Blackhawk?

If I had to get just one SA wheel gun; I'd probably lean towards a Colt SAA.

Yep, I'd go Ruger, Blackhawk. Been years since I had one, but they were as tough as they come, and looked pretty good to me as well.

Where are you located? Plainfield Shooting Supply has done me the best on trades, otherwise you might want to try and sell the GP here on INGO.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    The Ruger Blackhawk is the way to go. It will handle anything you want to feed it, your rifle reloads will work. There are plenty of used ones out there at a good price.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have an Uberti Cattleman in .357 magnum. Excellent replica of a single action Colt. My first one had the the front sight mounted to the side so that it shot low left by about three inches. I contacted the manufacturer and was given a replacement with free shipping both to send in the first one and to receive the new one. It is not as strong as a Ruger, but it shoots just as well and costs have the price.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I saw a nice .357 Taylors & Co out in Greencastle a few weeks ago @ that Barber shop / gun store. Very nice gun.

You don't see many SA pistols on the shelves. I got my Uberti from Top Guns in Terre Haute. They have several to pick from as well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Personally, I think you'd have much better luck selling your revolver on here rather than trade it in at the gun shop.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    SAA's are cool guns, period. I bought my first colt back in the '70's. Get a buscadero or some similar quick draw rig and go practice being your favorite old west hero...they even make decent carry option (a significant round and the first three are usually the most important so if you're good...) you can OC like a champ! I have a Beretta Stampede also that is a fine gun. Mine are .45 Colt though but choose what you want and go have fun.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'd go with this Ruger Blackhawk. It's a convertible, comes with an extra 9mm cylinder. Never hurts to have a good .357 that can also shoot the most common semiauto pistol round in the world.

https://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/specSheets/0318.html

41yz6zc.jpg

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Ruger is most likely the best bet. Very sturdy guns. I have two 5 1/2" Vaqueros (old models) and 2 lever guns in 45 Colt that I use for cowboy action shooting. You should try that out if you want to move your old west romance to the next level. It is like 3-gun with old-timey guns; lever action rifle in pistol caliber, SxS shotgun (or Winchester 1897), and 2 SA revolvers.

My wife and I have shot those Vaqueros for the past 20 years in cowboy action matches w/o any issues. The new model Vaqueros are a little slimmer and lighter than the old models. If you want to shoot magnum loads a lot and/or need adjustable sights, the Blackhawk may be your best choice. If you just want to shoot some plinking loads and maybe try cowboy shooting, the Vaqueros are the better way to go. Like any choice, it depends on what you plan to use it for.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Well, as usual , things have a funny way of happening. A friend stopped by the shop today and when he heard I was thinking about selling or trading my GP he was interested. Long story short I traded it to him for a Remington 7600 in 30-06, a very "minty" rifle. Anyway, I then stopped by the local gun store and ended up ordering a Blackhawk in 357 and 4.62 barrel. Sort of a Christmas present to myself .LOL I have been a very good boy you know.Once here I'll get further into it with your help.Thanks guys for the input.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I would never part with my Super Blackhawks, but I would never part with my GP100 either. Glad I don't have to make that choice!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My first-ever revolver was a SA 6.5" Stainless Single-Six with both cylinders (.22LR and .22WMR) and it was $219 OTD back in 1992...still have it still love it! Installed a Bird's Head grip to get rid of the plow-share grip...makes it a better fit in the hand when shooting!

I really prefer the Bisley gripped or the Bird's Head gripped SA revolvers...but to each their own.

Bisley: https://ruger.com/products/vaqueroBisley/models.html

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Normally I like "older" revolvers...With Ruger I am totally opposite...I "like" the old Bearcats (got two) but LOVE the new Bearcats...Same with the New Blackhawks and New Vaqueros....I like that they went back to the original grip frame size...Yes it means you can no longer shoot "Ruger 45 Colt Loads" (which were really just 44 magnum loads in a 45 long colt cartridge) but I always thought that was kind of odd anyway...One of my favorite shooters is an Uberti Hombre with the brass grip frames....A buddy changed out all of the springs and screws for me and I artificially aged it...(Could not stand that flat black finish..)

rimg.php

rimg.php
    rimg.php

Top Bottom