• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I've only owned 40 S&W handguns but am thinking I should move to 9 for better control with my small hands and so my wife will also shoot it if necessary. Since single stacks were covered nicely in this thread, the focus here is on double-stacks that may still work fine. To clarify further, by small I mean both grip size and overall size since it will be used for CC. I'd prefer to support USA manufacturers since none of my current handguns are of US origin. So it appears that means (discounting outfits like Taurus and Sig that apparently have some US plants):
    Kahr
    Kel-Tec
    Ruger
    S&W
    SCCY
    [STRIKE]Springfield[/STRIKE] (NVM - didn't know that XD series is made in Croatia)

Anyone missing aside from Colt, which I already know I don't want? I assume I'll have the best luck with those that offer adjustable grip components. FWIW, I am a southpaw but only intend to swap mags during a competition.

Last edited:

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    While it's not on your list I had a Glock 26 that just disappeared on my waist when carrying IWB.
    I removed it from this post, but if you look at my reply on the single-stack thread, you'll note I have a 23 and 27 currently (among other non-US 40s). If none of the above manufacturers suit me as well then I'll get a Gen 4/5 26 to get the adjustable backstrap.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I carry a Kel-Tec P-11, most of the time (IWB). I thought about replacing it with something "nicer", but could not justify the change. The P-11 shoots great and after a "fluff-n-buff" years ago, is very smooth. I mostly shoot DA revolvers in competition, so a DAO semi-auto is not that much different for me. Granted, it is not as light and smooth as my tuned revolvers, but it is fine for protection.

I think the P-11 is a good gun at a low price. I have not had any issues with mine. I did send my Kel-Tec P3AT to the factory this year after the extractor broke. They fixed it as well as upgrading just about all the internals. I did have to pay a nominal fee since I purchased the gun used, but they did a great job and the gun is now like new.

You could do worse than the P-11. They also use S&W 5906 and 6906 mags, but they will stick out of the grip due to the longer length and higher capacity. I would choose the Kel-Tec over the SCCY. My dad had a SCCY and had some feeding issues. I polished the feed ramp for him, but he didn't test it after that and I don't know if it worked better or not. Good luck on your choice.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Springfield XDM 3.8 Compact. It is small when using the 13 round magazine. It carries 19 with an extended base plate. However, it is made in Croatia. Mine shoots great and with the stupid IL fiasco they are a good deal cheaper than they used to be.

genXer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Sig P224 is a pretty small double stack 9, also the P320 subcompact. The vast majority of newer Sigs in the US are made in the US.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I removed it from this post, but if you look at my reply on the single-stack thread, you'll note I have a 23 and 27 currently (among other non-US 40s). If none of the above manufacturers suit me as well then I'll get a Gen 4/5 26 to get the adjustable backstrap.

Ahem.....

tqqcDWl.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    SW 5906 or other 59xx variants. It's a hunk of Made in the USA steel!

If you are looking for a carry/use piece, lots of surplus service guns floating around with good prices. Smith also made 915/910 and the 69xx (3.5" barrel versus 4" in the 59xx's).

Offerings for FN and HK are at the top of the striker-fired heap. CZ, Beretta, etc. but obviously mixed national origins which may not fit your criteria.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'm down on Kel Tec quality after a p32 turned out to not be so good. That said, I'm pretty happy with my pf9. I just never thought I'd like the 11.
    I guess the upshot is that you're rolling the dice with a Kel tec. For the most part I've been happy, but it is a gamble.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I’m all for buying and supporting USA companies. ‘Merica!!

But whatever gun I buy, it needs to be reliable. It’s something I plan to carry, and depend my life on it. So why does it have to be from an American company? I’d be looking at single stack guns that are known to be very reliable. Like the Glock 43 and S&W M&P Shield.

Top Bottom