• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    All of us have bought guns, run them for a while and then moved away from the platform for one reason or another. Then, there are the one's that after running them for a bit, we commit to the platform. Maybe not as the one and only, but we make the decision that the gun's a keeper.

Recently, I started to carry a G30sf again. I was really enamored with the gun when new, but then kind of wandered away from it. I'm carrying it again despite it's tendendy to send brass at me instead of to the side. Last weekend, I finally committed to the platform. For me, that means buying a second one and then ordering good leather for it. My favorite holster is the Kramer OWB Scabbard in horsehide. Those are not the most expensive holster out there, but they are not cheap either. Ordering that holster is when I know I'm into a gun long term. I've done that for my 1911s, G23 and CZs, but there are a others that don't make the cut for carry.

When does the INGO faithful know when they've committed to a platform long term? What's the one thing you do that doesn't get done until you've decided that it's a keeper?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All of us have bought guns, run them for a while and then moved away from the platform for one reason or another. Then, there are the one's that after running them for a bit, we commit to the platform. Maybe not as the one and only, but we make the decision that the gun's a keeper.

Recently, I started to carry a G30sf again. I was really enamored with the gun when new, but then kind of wandered away from it. I'm carrying it again despite it's tendendy to send brass at me instead of to the side. Last weekend, I finally committed to the platform. For me, that means buying a second one and then ordering good leather for it. My favorite holster is the Kramer OWB Scabbard in horsehide. Those are not the most expensive holster out there, but they are not cheap either. Ordering that holster is when I know I'm into a gun long term. I've done that for my 1911s, G23 and CZs, but there are a others that don't make the cut for carry.

When does the INGO faithful know when they've committed to a platform long term? What's the one thing you do that doesn't get done until you've decided that it's a keeper?

I think good signs of commitment are:

(1) at least two of the same make and model, configured as identically as possible
    (2) multiple holster acquisitions in an attempt to find just the right holster
    (3) another holster for the same gun, but with light attached
    (4) lots of magazines

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

(1) at least two of the same make and model, configured as identically as possible
    (4) lots of magazines

Uh-hu

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I sold every pistol I owned that didn't say Glock on it other than a Ruger 22/45. I had Sigs, H&Ks, 1911's and decided to put them all away for a few months and just shoot the Glock. I reached a new level of proficiency and decided to stick with it. No regrets.

zx7rcatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2010
    Madison area

(4) lots of magazines

Agreed, when I get 15+ mags, and multiple holsters (belt, battle belt, light bearing) In the process of doing it now with the VP9.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Forgot the magazines... I need more magazines now. I need to keep my eyes open for a sale. I have 8 at the moment, but would like to double that over the next year.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sometimes it happens at first sight. Sometimes it happens at first shot. Sometimes it takes years in the safe or a sale and repurchase. Sometimes it is always just outside of your grasp.

Lucky for me it did did not take long to find what works well for me. 3 rd pistol purchase was a smith model 60. Nice little carry gun. Then I found the 2.5 inch model 66 and it was the one. Two of them plus a Rossi copy. Three total. Single stage press dies and brass. Holsters speed loaders the works plus a little Smith work. Then a 4 inch and a 6 inch. (5 total) Then model 19’s. (8 total)
    Then 586/686’s. Throw in a couple colts along the way. It was love at first sight and shot here.

Then the colt 1911. I bought it shot it and placed in safe. It was ok. Glad I had it. Traded it off for something. Then I found a guy shooting a bunch of them off a table at the range. He said wife was making him trim the herd for a project she wanted done. He had some nice ones. Some pretty ones. Some old ones. Some cheap ones. And one that looked well used and not abused.he said take a couple for a test drive. Shot the nice pretty one and it was ok. It needed cleaned as it was not a pretty after firing a few mags. Shot the cheap ones. Something kept calling me to the well used one. I shot it and loved it. I said what for this one. 900 he said. Now this was many years ago and you could get a new one from colt or kimber for much less in the 1911 format. I asked why so much. He said it comes with all of this stuff. I nice shooter box with extra parts barrels and an ACE 22 conversion kit. Seems this one was someone’s built pride and joy. It was just an old race gun but it was stored in his safe for me to come along after selling off my new colt. It also opened my eyes as to what a good gunsmith could do with the 1911 platform. Still have the gun and shooters box and all that equipment.

Then the always ways out of grasp is still the H@k PSP. As a new shooter and dad taking me to show since they were 500 new. I forgot new guns were dealer items and they charged tax. Next show I came with 590 and tax money but the US dollar to west german mark made the gun go up in price. Still chasing that one.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A huge part of my switching platforms was to not be so specialized. Adapting my abilities to the gun that most others would be carrying, including LEO, was the plan. The ability to swap/exchange guns, magazines, etc. with a majority of folks carrying was important.

A big benefit to this platform is that there is no problem finding factory and aftermarket parts and gear. A lot of it is actually on Amazon, a mere two days away from my doorstep. The same can be said for the used market, 75% of my holsters have been bought used, at great prices.

What other platform can you buy magazines in bulk for $12 to your door?

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't fret much over sticking with 1 platform, except for the fact that all of my pistols are polymer frame striker fired. I've got a Glock 21, a few M&Ps, a couple of Walther PPQs, a Ruger SR9. They all work the same. I've got a few mags for each of them. I like the variety. If the SHTF, it's my rifles and rifle mags that I'm worried about being well stocked with, not pistol stuff.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have struggled with this for years, and have lost thousands of dollars chasing a better mousetrap. You are 100% correct, and I have proved it to myself several times. When I put down everything else and focus on my Glock, I am a decent shooter. Then, I see something cool and I run to the "shiny quarter" every time.

I then go to the range, eventually decide it is not better than a 9mm Glock, and sell or trade it. This is usually after buying extra mags and holsters for it. At this time I still can't say I have 100% committed to any one platform. I don't know that buying anything really shows commitment, as I usually buy a lot of mags and holsters for every gun I own and sell them at a loss when I get bored.

Obviously I would be much more proficient if I only shot one Glock and never changed anything. With that said, I also like shooting different guns and I also consider this as much of a hobby as anything else. Guys who like fast cars try different engine parts, golfers try new clubs, and I try new guns. It's just what I do and I have fun doing it.

It's kinda like crack cocaine, but I have not resorted to lewd acts in dark alleys to fund it. Yet.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    After new years I will have been with one platform for 40 years. I consider multiple decades an indicater of a keeper. I've been with a pistol platform for over 3 decades.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    When I sell something, try other things, sell them, then go back and buy exactly what I had in the first place, which I am in the process of doing yet again, hopefully I have learned my lesson and stick with this platform (Sig P250C 9mm and P250-22).

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

(4) lots of magazines

Similar, though I think if you have already done your research and waded through holsters on other platforms you can adapt that learning. I did that when I recently picked up the M&P Compact 2.0, just picked up the same make and model of holster I use for my Glocks, but of course specifically for the M&P. But I agree, multiple of the same gun and definitely lots of mags.

I factor in the cost of at least 2 guns, the holster and the mags. Several people I know who are into guns, but not as much as most of us here are, think I'm a bit interesting in that I buy guns in pairs.

After new years I will have been with one platform for 40 years. I consider multiple decades an indicater of a keeper. I've been with a pistol platform for over 3 decades.

I'd agree, up until recently I have been all Glock for a couple of decades myself.

Another thing I'd add to the list is generally a good set of sights and similar/same model of sights for each gun in that platform that may be picked up to protect oneself (be it the EDC, or the one placed in the nightstand, etc). The platform mindset is about getting things down to muscle memory and second nature based on training.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Started out with a 1911. Always stayed mainly with this platform with deviations into wheel guns and most recently CZs.
    1911 is second nature to me. No reason to wonder off.
    I am tooled up for them. I know them far to well.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What seems to fit me is a CZ 75. I shoot them pretty well. I don't have tons to invest in fancy, so Kydex for the 75 holsters and one good leather one for the Rami's. (9 & .40) I still own one Sig P228 that i really like but it doesn't get out much since I bought the Rami. (If I had some spare $ for an OWB holster I'd probably carry it some) I've had Glocks and XD's, Kimbers and H&K. Amount spent doesn't determine whether I'm committed. Fit and desire to carry as well as confidence in the platform and my abilities with it are my benchmarks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What seems to fit me is a CZ 75. I shoot them pretty well. I don't have tons to invest in fancy, so Kydex for the 75 holsters and one good leather one for the Rami's. (9 & .40) I still own one Sig P228 that i really like but it doesn't get out much since I bought the Rami. (If I had some spare $ for an OWB holster I'd probably carry it some) I've had Glocks and XD's, Kimbers and H&K. Amount spent doesn't determine whether I'm committed. Fit and desire to carry as well as confidence in the platform and my abilities with it are my benchmarks.

I will work on this next time I am down. You will come over to the dark side.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Started with Glock then jumped into the 1911 thing and have never looked back. Only handgun i care to purchase and shoot. Still own a Glock or 2 ,along with CZ and Sig. 1911's are my cup of tea,, to me nothing compares.

Top Bottom