Took Colt 1911 out of the safe... it's all locked up. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't see any visible rust on the exterior anywhere... I've kept it wrapped in a safe for a while, occasionally hitting it with some gun oil.

Can't rack the slide, though. Can't even move it a bit... it's frozen. I gave it a little WD40 around the edges in the frame and letting it sit for a while now. Anything else I could try?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Pull the hammer back to full cock and put the nose on the edge of a table or hard surface and smack it with your hand.
    You should be able to pull the barrel bushing off and free some movement.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Last time I hit it with Hoppes was probably about a year ago, and then placed back into the safe, wrapped loosely in a polyester-ish cloth.

Is it a GI spring plug or a FLGR...???

Spring plug do what harry suggested. Put the nose down on a wood surface. Dust cover/spring pug on the wood barrel off. Give the handle a good wack with your palm.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Rack the slide from the muzzle end. meaning*** pull the hammer back thumb safety off and on the end of a table push on the table with the bushing and the slide.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I've seen that Hoppe's harden up on a revolver that was stored and freeze up the ejector. I really despise the stuff and stay away from it.

You could try some PB Blaster as well. Good luck

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THIS GUN IS NOT LOADED!!!

It absolutely should not be loaded, but it was inside the safe with the hammer back. Magazine was sitting next to it, and an extra round sitting there as well... from what I assume was ejecting the +1 round and leaving it there...

But without racking it, I can't know 100%, maybe I'll use my phone and take a reverse pick down the barrel to be sure...

Is it a GI spring plug or a FLGR...???

Spring plug do what harry suggested. Put the nose down on a wood surface. Dust cover/spring pug on the wood barrel off. Give the handle a good wack with your palm.

Not sure... it's the 100 year anniversary model, if that helps.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Or measure from the face of the breech to the end of the barrel and stick something down the barrel and see how far it goes.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It absolutely should not be loaded, but it was inside the safe with the hammer back. Magazine was sitting next to it, and an extra round sitting there as well... from what I assume was ejecting the +1 round and leaving it there...

But without racking it, I can't know 100%, maybe I'll use my phone and take a reverse pick down the barrel to be sure...

Sounds like you are not familiar with the gun. No knock just assuming by your comments.
    If you can push the recoil spring plug down it is not a FLGR.

My offer stands.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In

100 year anniversary should be GI spring. On these you push the plug in under the barrel to disassemble. Full Length Guide Rod has to be unscrewed with an allen wrench to disassemble.
    Phone pic is a good idea, or a mirror.

Top Bottom