• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm toying with this idea, but the costs are all over the map.

I see a few Rock Island A1 Ultra FS models advertised that look interesting to me, but I'm not familiar with Rock Island.
    I've heard the name, but will they hold up?
    I don't plan on competing with it.
    It will be a fun range toy, personal protection, if reliable, and possibly hunting.

So Ingo, I know there are better quality 1911's out there, but I'm not going to spend $3-5k on one.
    Is $600 out the door a reasonable deal?

Also, what do you think about Armscor Rock Island?
    I've seen a couple of Armscor Rock Island Tact II FS for roughly the same price.
    What is the difference, if any, between Armscor Rock Island and Rock Island?

Or, should I avoid the name altogether?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'm toying with this idea, but the costs are all over the map.

I see a few Rock Island A1 Ultra FS models advertised that look interesting to me, but I'm not familiar with Rock Island.
    I've heard the name, but will they hold up?
    I don't plan on competing with it.
    It will be a fun range toy, personal protection, if reliable, and possibly hunting.

So Ingo, I know there are better quality 1911's out there, but I'm not going to spend $3-5k on one.
    Is $600 out the door a reasonable deal?

Also, what do you think about Armscor Rock Island?
    I've seen a couple of Armscor Rock Island Tact II FS for roughly the same price.
    What is the difference, if any, between Armscor Rock Island and Rock Island?

Or, should I avoid the name altogether?

I'd go Kimber before I'd go to the RIA anything.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Or Colt Delta Elite..

The RIAs seem to be iffy from comments I have read online. I think Armcorp owns RIA.

smythe012

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.3%
    147   1   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I've been in your shoes (and still haven't bought a 1911 in 10mm). It's over $600 but the Ruger 1911 in 10mm is probably your best bet for reliability, quality, etc. They are about $730 at Buds. It's over $100 more than a Rock Island but it's not $400 more like a Colt Delta.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to admit I have seen 2 RIA 1911's in 10 mm and they were fit up very well. Things you would expect like a crappy trigger are not all that bad. Not great but a vast improvement over the older ones I have fondled.
    1 thing to remember.....10mm rounds can run very hot if you load or buy the full house offerings. I would not run this level of round in the RIA or the Ruger.
    If you stay in the acceptable power range for these you should be fine.

If you are getting into 10mm for the big boom I personally would shy away from the RIA. Maybe even the Ruger but I have no personal knowledge here.

Jim5528

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I just bought the Rock Island 51914 TAC Ultra FS Single 10mm 5 8+1 Gray G10 Grip from buds for $642.00 because of the 10mm thread I have been following. I have other 1911’s but no 10mm so I was not sure I needed another mid priced 1911 so I went cheap. The fit of the gun is very good for a gun in this price range; trigger came in at 5.6 lbs not bad (I will make it better).
    I took it to Point Blank range and put 100 rounds of Sig Sauer 180 gr. FMJ through it. I only had 2 FTE if I decide 10mm is for me I can always upgrade to a better gun. If you would like to shoot the RIA 10mm I shoot at Point Blank in Carmel and I will let you try it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have a RIA 10mm that I’ve talked about here. I’ve had it two years now and so far no issues other than beeing a little picky about ammo and mags. It’s pretty reliable when I use factory mags. Trigger is pretty good and it’s a lot of fun to shoot. And, like guns should be, it’s more accurate than I am.

If I had it to do over I’d have waited to find something different though. I’m now looking for a sig p220 reverse two-tone which seems to be kinda hard to find.

One thing about the RIA I don’t like. I’ve discovered I most dislike bushingless designs. Pain in the ass to dissassemble.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I just bought the Rock Island 51914 TAC Ultra FS Single 10mm 5 8+1 Gray G10 Grip from buds for $642.00 because of the 10mm thread I have been following. I have other 1911’s but no 10mm so I was not sure I needed another mid priced 1911 so I went cheap. The fit of the gun is very good for a gun in this price range; trigger came in at 5.6 lbs not bad (I will make it better).
    I took it to Point Blank range and put 100 rounds of Sig Sauer 180 gr. FMJ through it. I only had 2 FTE if I decide 10mm is for me I can always upgrade to a better gun. If you would like to shoot the RIA 10mm I shoot at Point Blank in Carmel and I will let you try it.

So over all it is an OK piece except the FTE's...???

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have to admit I have seen 2 RIA 1911's in 10 mm and they were fit up very well. Things you would expect like a crappy trigger are not all that bad. Not great but a vast improvement over the older ones I have fondled.
    1 thing to remember.....10mm rounds can run very hot if you load or buy the full house offerings. I would not run this level of round in the RIA or the Ruger.
    If you stay in the acceptable power range for these you should be fine.

If you are getting into 10mm for the big boom I personally would shy away from the RIA. Maybe even the Ruger but I have no personal knowledge here.
    What do you think will break first.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What do you think will break first.

I do not trust the metallurgy in the entry level pieces. I might be paranoid from previous experience.
    Colt had issues with the 1st Deltas but has since (by everything I have read/heard) stepped up and fixed the issues.
    I have always favored a solid forged steel frame/slide. Good chamber support. I love running full house 10mm so both mine are customs built for this purpose. Even then the 6" was pounding the ears back on the slide stop. I had to use the blue recoil buffer's in it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I do not trust the metallurgy in the entry level pieces. I might be paranoid from previous experience.
    Colt had issues with the 1st Deltas but has since (by everything I have read/heard) stepped up and fixed the issues.
    I have always favored a solid forged steel frame/slide. Good chamber support. I love running full house 10mm so both mine are customs built for this purpose. Even then the 6" was pounding the ears back on the slide stop. I had to use the blue recoil buffer's in it.
    I just read about another case of galling on a DW stainless 10mm this morning. They seem to have recurring issues with this.

Top Bottom