• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For those that are enamored of "trigger jobs" that consist of lightened springs for their revolvers, the current weather is the ideal time to test your handgun. I urge you to leave your handgun and ammo out to be cold soaked and then pick it up and see if it reliably fires when cold. A couple of cylinders in a revolver should be enough to find out if there is inconsistent ignition.

I have gone through the lightened spring phase long ago and discovered the Colt, S&W, and Ruger knew what they were doing at least as far as hammer and trigger return springs. Even my professionally done revolvers have been returned to factory springs after I realized they could not be counted on in the cold. I use stock springs with smoothed and polished actions.

FWIW.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You got better results than I received from Sig Sauer Mosquito.
    I had a 60% failure to fire ratio. 90% I could not see any indication of hit on the 22 rim.
    I called Sig. When I could not produce the sales receipt. I was told I would have to pay for the shipping and repairs.
    So I sent it. I received and $60 bill. A note that stated that I had the return spring in backwards.
    They stated that they fired it "NO TROUBLE FOUND".
    I took it to the range about a week later. Same failure rate.
    I called Sig. SHE stated that I must use CCI 40 grain.
    I pulled out the box of ammo I used. I read it off to her.
    Then she told me I had to use the special CCI form Germany.
    They are hotter loads.
    I stated that the firing pin did not print.
    Then she stated,"we do not handle the mosquito any more".
    She hung up the phone.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That could be a pretty interesting test. How long would it take to cold soak a pistol? Unless you own property that you can shoot on, this could also be a difficult test to do. I'd like to give it a try with a couple of modified guns I own and use for winter carry.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That could be a pretty interesting test. How long would it take to cold soak a pistol? Unless you own property that you can shoot on, this could also be a difficult test to do. I'd like to give it a try with a couple of modified guns I own and use for winter carry.

I am in. You get your graph paper. I will look for my slide rule (some more)

I have found it does not take a long time to cold soak a pistol. You will find that this test will also show you a lot about the lube's you are using in your pieces.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

I have found it does not take a long time to cold soak a pistol. You will find that this test will also show you a lot about the lube's you are using in your pieces.

I learned that frog lube sucks in cold weather.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I learned that frog lube sucks in cold weather.

Any of the "Magic" heavier lube's do. The material the gun is made of will contract closing tolerances. The heavier lubes will not have as much space to be in and they will thicken in the cold. One of my really close 1911's lubed with red Moly would not cycle. The rest would but they were really slow.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I was volunteered to train with the Norwegian Army many moons ago.
    Lessons learned from them.
    Weapons are cleaned dry and left outside if you bring them in heated area they “sweat” and will freeze if brought back outside.
    The same with optic’s they might crack batteries will lose charge fast and have to kept close to your body.
    CLP will freeze at about -30 or so there is a arctic lube available that I have never encountered.
    So in general run it dry in extreme cold weather and cycle that action several times a day.
    Ballistic changes will be noticed by the rate of burn by the powder and the cold barrel effect will be amplified.

Army Sustainment: The Polar Bear Expedition: The U.S. Intervention in Northern Russia, 1918–1919

Little known Campaign in Russia lessons learned are still used today.
    Soldiers were armed with Mosin’s!

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    My Dad's cousin went through the Battle of the Bulge, lost toes to frostbite...His M1 worked but he kept it lughtly lubed for the cold.
    Knew a guy who went through the Frozen Chosin...same deal kept his rifle free of grease for the cold...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've used pthalate plastizers as lubes in industrial situations, they aren't bothered by cold temperatures, might make good gun lube although I've not tried them.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The cold does not affect the primers or the firearm's springs. The lube is what is affected by the cold. A lot of lubes turn to glue when the temp drops down to the zero point. The current mil-spec CLP is rated for use from 75 below to 475 above. The current "Breakfree CLP" made by Safariland recently get their new certification letter for their CLP as it now meets the new spec. I have used it for many years and never seen it fail at low temperatures. I've seen some other brands stop a weapon in the cold.

Last edited:

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The cold does not affect the primers or the firearm's springs. The lube is what is affected by the cold. A lot of lubes turn to glue when the temp drops down to the zero point. The current mil-spec CLP is rated for use from 75 below to 475 above. The current "Breakfree CLP" made by Safariland recently get their new certification letter for their CLP as it now meets the new spec. I have used it for many years and never seen it fail at low temperatures. I've seen some other brands stop a weapon in the cold.

Same experience here. I kinda chuckle when I see folks chasing after the newest lube. I've never personally encountered the limits of CLP.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I don't remember what the temperature dropped to, but I spent 9 weeks of hell in Iceland several decades ago.
    I woke one morning to the sound of snowflakes hitting my window!
    Seriously, snowflakes the size of silver dollars, tap, tap, tapping on my window...

Nevermore!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Wrapped in leather/kydex and stuffed inside your pants. Another argument in favor of CC? :D

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    For those that are enamored of "trigger jobs" that consist of lightened springs for their revolvers, the current weather is the ideal time to test your handgun. I urge you to leave your handgun and ammo out to be cold soaked and then pick it up and see if it reliably fires when cold. A couple of cylinders in a revolver should be enough to find out if there is inconsistent ignition.

I have gone through the lightened spring phase long ago and discovered the Colt, S&W, and Ruger knew what they were doing at least as far as hammer and trigger return springs. Even my professionally done revolvers have been returned to factory springs after I realized they could not be counted on in the cold. I use stock springs with smoothed and polished actions.

FWIW.

I guess if they were planning on leaving their guns outside to get "cold soaked" this would make sense, maybe if they plan on OCing outside all day? Security guards and LEOs?

Top Bottom