• ...and so much more!
  • 1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Anyone have experience with these? Three for sale at a local shop.
    I've wanted a snubbie for a long time, but never been able to justify. Now that I've got some Santa money in my pocket...

Better than a S&W? Worth the premium?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    two colt SF6, one with rosewood and one with black rubber, both .38 spcl
    One 357 carry

I always thought those "DS-II's" and the Magnum Carry were nice guns. I worked at a shop when they were being sold new and they were not good sellers due to hi-cap 9's being all the rage then. Most of these now are pretty collectible and are priced as such but if the shop has them priced to move there's no reason not to get one. If you're just looking for a good carry gun then Smith and Ruger can't be beat for the price. What's the price range the shop's trying to move them at?

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Actually not sure of the pricepoint on the revolvers, but if they're selling close to what I'm seeing on online classifieds I'll likely stick with S&W.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    It does seem that in Colt's current company situation you would be paying a bit extra for the brand. I would have to say if I had the money for the Colt and was comparing to something like a Smith, I would likely go with Colt just because there's nothing more classic than a Colt revolver.

also except for the new colt cobra, and single action army's, they don't make any new colt revolvers so lots of people are treating them more like collectibles

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have wanted and thought about buying a Colt revolver many times, just get the name "Colt," but in the end, I pay 1/2 to much less and "settle" for the Smith.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I handled a new Colt Cobra out of a rental case at my local indoor range last week. I wanted to see what an abused Cobra felt like.

The trigger was really impressive. Better trigger than any S&W I've had out of the factory. One issue though, the knurling on the end of the ejector rod was catching in the cylinder when being pressed down. It almost seemed like the diameter of the knurled portion was larger than the rest of the ejector rod.

Being just a 38, it just doesn't make sense, it's too big of a gun. Now if they'd just build a 4" 357 gun with that trigger, I'd be all over it.

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    And the cylinder turns the wrong direction too!
    Do the newer ones have the second hand that holds the cylinder still when the trigger is pulled like the Python & Detective Specials?

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    I'm not sure, but the lock up was very tight. It's a nice gun. But, for me, being a 38, it's a backup gun. It'd replace the j-frame I carry on my ankle. I wouldn't consider carrying this as a primary EDC.

Someone mentioned the "extra" round. My 686+ EDC is what carries the extra round and of course in 357 magnum.

That being said, if they made this gun in a 357 magnum with a 4" barrel, I'd carry it, all while sacrificing that seventh round.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    fidget%20spinner_zpskvdhuxha.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking at the 2" black stainless .38 and the 3" stainless 357 and thinking about getting them both for the museum.

Top Bottom