Help deciding between Sig p320c, FNS 9, & HK VP9.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJacks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2017
    Terre Haute
    I have recently gotten back into firearms, and I am looking to purchase another. I currently have a S&W M&P 9 full size, that I really enjoy. I have narrowed down my next purchase to the following 3 and cannot decide which I prefer: Sig Sauer p320c, FNS 9, or the HK VP9.

Any help or comments regarding those 3 weapons to help me decide would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Only have experience with the 320. I like them so much I have 3, two in compact and one in subcompact. From what i read about the others, I don’t think you can make a bad choice on any of them.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I've held them all but only fired the p320c. They're great guns, particularly if you decide to go for the rx model. Never been a fan of HK - they haven't exactly been friendly to the civilian market so I tend to return the favor by ignoring their products.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    You really can't go wrong with any of those three. Have you shot them ? If not try to find a range that rents or friends that may have one of the models would be my suggestion to you.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a VP9 and love it. When I bought it, I just assumed I would be getting the P320 (I am a SIG fan, and have several SIGs), but after shooting them side-by-side, I decided on the VP9, and have never looked back.

I am sure the P320 is a FINE gun, and in your hands, you may prefer it over the VP9, but for me, the VP9 won out.

I have a friend who recently bought the FNS 9, shot it a few times, and then interestingly enough, bought a new S&W MP 2.0 with a 5" barrel. I never really asked him why he switched, and I never actually shot the FN, so there may be some other underlying situation here, but I can tell you he was so excited with how accurate the M&P was compared to the FN. I realize that the 5" barrel adds a lot to the accuracy, so that may have been his reasoning, but he does not spend money freely like other people I know (cough... cough...) so I was pretty surprised when he bought the M&P after only having the FN for a few months.

One other point: The VP9 is my only striker-fired pistol in a sea of hammer-fired models.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I’d get the VP9 out of those choices but remember the VP9 is a full-size gun. The P320c is same as a G19 so will make for a nice ccw gun. Don’t overlook the new M&P9 M2.0 compact. Will be capatible with the mags you already own and perfect size carry gun.

Last edited:

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    I’d get the VP9 out of those choices but remember the VP9 is a full-size gun. The P320c is same as a G19 so will make for a nice cow gun. Don’t overlook the new M&P9 M2.0 compact. Will be capatible with the mags you already own and perfect size carry gun.

I'm a huge fan of the VP9, I'm currently waiting on communication back for an RMR cut. But don't count out he M&P 2.0 (full size or compact), as well as the CZ P10C. My P10C is a new favorite and is getting some stippling work as we speak.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Really depends on what you want it for. If you just want another full size gun for your collection, take your pick. Any of them should serve you well. I've owned all three:

Sig P320 - It's currently "muh Army pistol," if you care about that. :): Civilian models were subject to a "voluntary upgrade" that was, in reality, a recall for an issue that would allow the pistol to fire if dropped a certain way. If you go with this model, try to find one produced after the "upgrade." I owned one of these and got rid of it before the not-a-recall nonsense. Ergonomics are good. Bore axis is high, causing a bit more muzzle flip than a gun with a lower bore axis, but it still shoots soft in 9mm. The new ones supposedly have a good trigger, I found mine to be inconsistent with a weird double click during trigger pull/reset. The polymer frame scratches easily. Mags and accessories should be readily available.

HK VP9 - Very good ergonomics for most people, interchangeable grip panels fit a wide variety of hand sizes. Some don't like the finger grooves, however. Trigger is very good. Mag release is a paddle design, so not the same as your M&P, if you are concerned about platform familiarity/consistency. Had a bit of "trigger sting" when firing hot loads out of mine. Eventually traded it.

FN FNS9 - I have the compact and the full size of this model. I really like them! Seems to me to be what a Glock should have been, with a fairly simple design but with much better ergonomics. Good trigger, very grippy texture. Has 2 different backstraps, arched and straight. Mags are pricey, but available.

If you want something to match your full size M&P, you might try the new M&P 2.0 Compact. It will take your full size mags, and they are getting really good reviews. (I haven't shot one yet). Or if you want something smaller for concealed carry, an M&P 9c (the old model) is a good choice.

Another pistol that I would recommend that you try is a Walther PPQ. Great ergonomics and the best trigger out of the bunch, IMO.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have both the vp9 and the fns9. I much prefer the vp9. If you are looking for a compact size HK does make the vp9sk. I carry an HK P30sk which is basically a hammer fired vp9 and love it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Which one can you afford the magazines for. A buddy of mine has some .45 ACP FN "tactical" pistol, and mags are $85 a piece.

FNS 9 mags are $44 each at Midway USA.
    Sig P320 mags are $39.95 at Midway USA.
    HK VP9 mags are $39.99 at Midway USA.

Top Bottom