• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Point Blank has a sale on the Remington RM380 going on this weekend. $219.99 before a $100 mail-in rebate. So, I sez to myself, self, ya' can't go too wrong for $120. The wife had to go pick up a prescription so she went on down to the Greenwood PB and bought one. Mr. Salesdude had paper towels in his hand before he opened the box. He obviously knew it was going to be nasty. She said the gun looked like it had been dipped in oil. Well, I always clean a new gun so I took it apart to do so. Absolutely, no questions asked, FILTHY! I don't expect 'em to be clean. Ya' know they've likely been fired once or twice but this was ridiculous. Even the outside surfaces of both magazines were filthy. Apparently, Remington eliminated the step where somebody wipes the parts down before they assemble the gun.

That said, I think it's going to be nice little pocket-pistol. Now I gotta' go see if it will go bang.

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Interested to hear your take on the RM380 after some range time with it. I have been hearing so much about the poor quality attached to the Remington name. The last actual Remington that I have bought was a 700BDL DM in .308 back in the mid 90's. But at $219 with the $100 rebate it is worth a try. I don't think there is another pistol out there that you can get that inexpensive.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I looked at the RM380 recently, as I was looking to buy a pocket 380. Came down to it, the LCP and the Bodyguard 380. With the $50 S&W rebate, I chose the Bodyguard as it come with the integral laser for $250 after the transfer fee. Added the RTK skeleton trigger and Galloway Precision short stroke hammer kit, and it’s got a decent trigger pull.

The RM380 was my second choice, but despite the oil, I know you got one hell of a deal!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I need a new pocket pistol and might have to take a look at one of those. I've had good luck with the Remington 1911 I owned. It was one of my favorite 1911s and never gave me any issues in the 2000+ rounds I put through it before selling it to a friend.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Crappy trigger doesn't mean much during an adrenaline dump !
    It sorta does if you can’t hit your target because of it. Not saying the RM380 is the worst thing ever, or bad at all, just that I’ve fired a few, and have been present when quite a few other folks have fired one, and most aren’t fond of the trigger.:dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Long stroke double action only trigger and nearly non-existent sights mean one thing. Very close personal interaction. Perhaps with a healthy dose of "oh ****" thrown in for good measure. Cliff Notes version: BuG! I like to practice double-taps and my expectations are not great for this gun. Probably won't shoot it beyond 5 yards when we do the great pocket pistol shoot off. Might get to that yet today. The RM380 will be going up against a Sig P238. Las Vegas hasn't established the line yet but the Sig is the clear early betting favorite.

More to come after the range session.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I bought one of these on "Shop Local Saturday" for $150 because they had already claimed the mail in rebate. First trip to the range was uninspiring. Upgraded the guide rod with Galloway and the reduced power spring kit. As for range, I'm comfortable in the 5-8 yard range and start to spread at 10. I've put 200+ rounds through it with 0 FTE or FTF. I carry it daily as a backup with a belly band mid chest high about 10:00. It absolutely disappears under a slightly loose shirt.

It has replaced my Nano despite low capacity simply due to ease of concealment.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Crappy trigger doesn't mean much during an adrenaline dump !

It sorta does if you can’t hit your target because of it. Not saying the RM380 is the worst thing ever, or bad at all, just that I’ve fired a few, and have been present when quite a few other folks have fired one, and most aren’t fond of the trigger.:dunno:

I'm just going to put out here that I doubt you have experienced a full fledged adrenaline dump before, very few have. The very best force on force training only approximates it.

Tunnel vision, complete loss of auditory function and fine motor skills puts trigger quality so far down the list of issues that is a non starter.

jake 2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    indianapolis
    If you end up not liking it you might try the new lcp2 i love mine about 300 rounds of 4 different types of ammo not one malfunction and can hit 8" steel at 25yds

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I was in RK last week and ended up getting one. I figured for less than 200, I won't lose money (at least much) if I don't like it.
    Seems like a well made gun, long trigger, but smooth with a consistent break but the reset will take getting use to. Haven't shot it yet, hopefully I will in the next couple of days.

BTW the 100 rebate ends tomorrow(1/6).

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd have just gone with an established pocket gun like an LCP II and been done with it rather than a pocket gun from a company with a terrible handgun track record (and spotty quality) of late.

Funny how people will buy a questionable piece of what amounts to - safety equipment - to save $100.

$100 is equivalent to about 150 rounds of 380 ammo. Peanuts over the life of the firearm.

Sure, if your budget is tight and it's that or nothing, fine - but for most people that's not the case.

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    I was tempted just because the price was so hard to beat. My dad, who is a very experienced handgunner swears by his. In the end, i decided to stick with my little Keltec P32 for now.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Given Remington's reputation with handguns lately (the R51 comes to mind) you have to ask yourself a question: Would you trust your life to the RM 380 in a life or death situation?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That why there are revolvers. :laugh:

It is unreal how inexpensive some of the small calibers sell for, compared to a simple .22 caliber revolver which never come cheap, or I'd buy a bevy of them.

Top Bottom