• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Been looking to buy a higher capacity polymer 9mm for CC than my beloved Shield and had considered at least 90% or more of the polymer platforms out there such as the VP9, P320, P10c, FN 509 (sorry but Glocks are great just aren't for me) and PPQ M1 & M2 as well as others that escape me at this moment.

My criteria is 100% reliability, as good as ergonomics as practical, easy to conceal, minimum of 15 rounds, decent trigger with a tactile reset, acceptable accuracy for a defensive HG in the range of sub 4.5" groups at 25 yards, availability and affordability of aftermarket support such as holsters, sights and magazines, and lastly cost of firearm.

I have been very partial to the M&P line of HG's basically because it meets all my above requirements, especially the combination of availability of aftermarket support and initial cost better than all the rest. The fact my EDC is a 9mm Shield makes buying another M&P wise from the stand point of familiarity and muscle memory for firearm use. I have held and shot a large number of full sized M&P's and I like the way the gun feels in my hand as well as any other I tried or listed. Now that S&W has come out with the 2.0 and based on my first hand experience with the new trigger and the number of reviews that claim the accuracy issues with the earlier models in 9mm have been solved are overwhelming in number and the trigger is to me acceptable combined with I already own a Shield, it has great A/M support, and is the most affordable in all respects of all the platforms I am interested I must admit buying a M&P 2.0c makes the most sense and is the most pragmatic of all my options. The fact that the older model mags work in the new 2.0 model is also a great selling point.

Can anyone offer a reason as to why given my criteria, another platform would be a better choice than a M&P 2.0c? Please keep in mind I am looking for a personal defensive HG to also use in IDPA and as a range fun gun, not as a target pistol. If I buy a M&P 2.0c and like it, I will VERY likely invest in at least a one full sized, either the 4.24" or the 5" model as a woods gun or night stand gun. I am a right handed shooter so the issue with the right hand slide release being very stiff is acceptable to me.

I guess I should add my choice came down to between the M&P 2.0c and the P10c and I liked the trigger of the P10c measurably better, but the cost and availability or lack there of, of mags, holsters and even sights for the P10c shied me away from it. Just about anything I need to buy for a M&P 2.0 is available OTC or no more than 3 days by mail. Can not say the same for not only the P10c but other HGs like the VP9, FN 509 or PPQ's.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks vert. I'm asking because it never hurts and is usually a very good idea to get HOPEFULLY objective input from persons who already own a firearm your considering buying as they have had time to give it a decent evaluation. I realize that there are certain aspects of the other HG's I listed that I preferred over the M&P 2.0c, but in terms of overall the plusses out weighed the negatives, but as I said input from experienced owners can be invaluable to a first time buyer like me.

SS 396

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Coatesville
    I have the M&P 2.0 5in bbl 9mm in the flat dark earth, and i like it very well plenty accurate, i really like the new grip texture seems to have good balance i see no reason not to buy one. This was my first M&P and am very happy, i bought my son a M&P 45 2.0 for Christmas he is very happy with it.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    As a HK Fanboy, I Love My 2.0c. Has been 100% with Factory FMJ & HP, & various reloads (low to medium powder charge). Will I carry it as much as my VP9SK, not likely, but I’ll carry from time to time, especially if/when Rebate mags show up.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm a long time proponent of the Glock platform, and I bought 2 of the M&P Compact 2.0's for carry purposes (1 is none, 2 is 1) rather than jumping on the Gen 5.

I'm loving mine so far. I don't see getting rid of my Glocks (at least not yet, as the platforms are similar enough that it won't be a problem), but have been primarily carrying the 2.0 C since I bought them.

I think buying into a platform that can share mags, holsters, etc is a good move. If that is your intent, and you are not interested/invested in Glocks, I'd say go for it with the 2.0 C.
    Grabagun.com has regularly been runnng 2.0 C's in the $400 or so range.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I'm a long time proponent of the Glock platform, and I bought 2 of the M&P Compact 2.0's for carry purposes (1 is none, 2 is 1) rather than jumping on the Gen 5.

I'm loving mine so far. I don't see getting rid of my Glocks (at least not yet, as the platforms are similar enough that it won't be a problem), but have been primarily carrying the 2.0 C since I bought them.

I think buying into a platform that can share mags, holsters, etc is a good move. If that is your intent, and you are not interested/invested in Glocks, I'd say go for it with the 2.0 C.
    Grabagun.com has regularly been runnng 2.0 C's in the $400 or so range.

You sir are correct. There is not a more economically sensible platform then the M&P IMHO, that is one of the reasons I am attracted to it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Only reason I can think of is how stupid cheap the gen 1 models are. Aim Surplus has new M&P9s for $349.99. Shipping and transfer should still be at or below $400. Just a question of whether the changes are worth it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    When I bought my gen 5 Glocks several months ago I looked really hard at the M&P 2.0. I still want one even though I've been happy with the Glocks. The 2.0 has much better ergos and I really think that factors in more than I care to admit, also I think they are pretty sexy looking too.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Nothing wrong with it but I don't see it as a huge improvement over the previous model. You obviously like the feel of it and the "gen 1" meets all your criteria also. I would look into a Gen 1 and save some money.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock/M&P certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What ELSE do you currently own? I saw in your OP where you say that you've considered plenty of things (which is GREAT!)...

But do you currently own anything that you carry / have carried for a long time? IF so, I'd argue that something similar to what you already have would be the best choice.

If this will be a first (or transition into only) carry gun / carry platform - then go for it.

I've not yet handled the new 2.0 compact - but I can't imagine it's that much different from the FS.

I've owned 2 different 1.0 compacts. Good guns. Just not 100% for me - especially since I bought a Shield that has become my carry gun of choice 90% of the time.

My 2.0 FS is fantastic. The texture of the frame, from the factory, is fantastic. I seriously didn't know what I was missing with my older FS pistol. My groups (square range, slow fire) on my older one aren't/weren't bad. But there a bit better with the newer gun. AND mags interchange between old and new.

So - buy one. Load up on the 15 rd mags. Load up on the 17 rd mags and "sleeves" (which I'm sure are for sale now or soon will be) to add a bit of capacity). Get some aftermarket sights. Get 2-3 quality holsters.

I may end up with a 2.0c myself one of these days. Just please don't tell my wife.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've owned 2 different 1.0 compacts. Good guns. Just not 100% for me - especially since I bought a Shield that has become my carry gun of choice 90% of the time.

I should say I also bought a 1.0 9C a few years back and just could not make the jump from Glock to M&P at that time, largely due to trigger, even after putting in a RAM, and I didn't want to put in a full Apex and still not like it. The reset on the 1.0 9c trigger that I had was just too different for me, so I sold it off rather quickly.

When I picked up the 2.0 Compact, I took it out and shot it a few times and bought a back up for it and a holster. I just seemed to shoot it well and the trigger was much better IMO and more comparable to what I had been accustomed to, and the gun size was just right.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Only reason I can think of is how stupid cheap the gen 1 models are. Aim Surplus has new M&P9s for $349.99. Shipping and transfer should still be at or below $400. Just a question of whether the changes are worth it.

Nothing wrong with it but I don't see it as a huge improvement over the previous model. You obviously like the feel of it and the "gen 1" meets all your criteria also. I would look into a Gen 1 and save some money.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock/M&P certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Not saying every penny doesn't count, because it does, but Grabagun.com has been regularly running the 2.0 Compacts right at about $400 if you sign up for their email specials (at one point before Christmas they had the 2.0 compact for $389). They seem to vary the price from day to day. Now that said, they have had some great prices on the 1.0 full size guns as well. Point being, sign up for their emails and if you want one, jump on it when you see a good price.

Looks like $399 on the 2.0 Compact currently https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp9-m2-0-cmpct-9mm-15-1-4-fs.html

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    What ELSE do you currently own? I saw in your OP where you say that you've considered plenty of things (which is GREAT!)...

But do you currently own anything that you carry / have carried for a long time? IF so, I'd argue that something similar to what you already have would be the best choice.

If this will be a first (or transition into only) carry gun / carry platform - then go for it.

I've not yet handled the new 2.0 compact - but I can't imagine it's that much different from the FS.

My 2.0 FS is fantastic. The texture of the frame, from the factory, is fantastic. I seriously didn't know what I was missing with my older FS pistol. My groups (square range, slow fire) on my older one aren't/weren't bad. But there a bit better with the newer gun. AND mags interchange between old and new.

So - buy one. Load up on the 15 rd mags. Load up on the 17 rd mags and "sleeves" (which I'm sure are for sale now or soon will be) to add a bit of capacity). Get some aftermarket sights. Get 2-3 quality holsters.

I may end up with a 2.0c myself one of these days. Just please don't tell my wife.

Thanks for your well thought out input. I already own and love my Shield and I did install a Apex Duty/Cary upgrade but I opted to keep the S&W factory trigger spring as I felt FOR ME the Apex replacement made for to lite a pull. I have put over 1000-1200 rounds through it of every brand and type of ammo available OTC except for steel case ammo and it has never failed me a single time. Its WAY more accurate then I will ever need it to be giving me sub 3.5" groups at 15 yards with most ammo types and my personal defense ammo of choice 124grn Fed/HST gives me 3" groups at 15 yards with boring regularity.

That is another reason why I am leaning towards the 2.0 because I am of the strong conviction for my personal defensive firearms that I will stay with a single manufacturer if at all possible. I will and do own different makes of both pistols and revolvers, but for my choice in what I carry I feel it wisest to stay with one HG type.

Cliff357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2018
    Highland
    Agreed have the full size version 4.25 barrel and couldn’t be happier! Good Brand Great Gun! If you catch a deal even better ...

Top Bottom