• ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    mNJxXea.jpg

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...wsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0118

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    So many pistols have been so successful without a manual safety. Why does Ruger feel the need to add one? Instant disqualifier for me.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So many pistols have been so successful without a manual safety. Why does Ruger feel the need to add one? Instant disqualifier for me.

I never understood this line of thinking. I have a S&W shield that has a safety. I flipped it to fire when taking it out of the box, and never thought about it again. It doesn't hurt me that it is there. I EDC a Glock. If it came with a safety I'm capable of flipping it to fire and forgetting about it. Now, if it automatically went to safe when changing mags, or something like that, it would be a deal breaker for me aswell, but as long as I just have to flip it to fire, I dont care if its there or not.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I never understood this line of thinking. I have a S&W shield that has a safety. I flipped it to fire when taking it out of the box, and never thought about it again. It doesn't hurt me that it is there. I EDC a Glock. If it came with a safety I'm capable of flipping it to fire and forgetting about it. Now, if it automatically went to safe when changing mags, or something like that, it would be a deal breaker for me aswell, but as long as I just have to flip it to fire, I dont care if its there or not.

The concern is inadvertently flipping it to safe and then when drawing not remembering to flip it to fire before pulling the trigger.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I'm with you on this. My Shield safety hasn't moved in a long time. Plus, I shoot a 1911 so I'm used to sweeping that area anyway.

Come to think of it, I basically do the same movement when I touch off a round with my AR.:)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The concern is inadvertently flipping it to safe and then when drawing not remembering to flip it to fire before pulling the trigger.

Good point. I guess if the safety was overly large and it was possible to accidentally hit it I could see that being an issue. Every one I've seen the safety was so small your not going to hit it on accident, but I have no doubt I have not seen them all.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    From a gun person point of view. I dont care about the safety. From the rest of the world point of view OHMYGAWD GUNS WITHOUT SAFETIES AHHH SO MUCH DANGER.

its a big segment of the market. I am astounded glock hasnt made a 19 with a bang switch. Seems like they are giving up a lot of money by refusing to do it.

Ive owned a shield with and without a safety. Dont care either way.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good point. I guess if the safety was overly large and it was possible to accidentally hit it I could see that being an issue. Every one I've seen the safety was so small your not going to hit it on accident, but I have no doubt I have not seen them all.

I agree the safety on the Shield is small and positive, most likely wouldn't have an issue with that one. When we had a Shield like yours I just carried it in the off position also. Even with the larger safeties I naturally lay my thumb on top of the safety so deactivating it was never a concern for me, but my preference is for no thumb safety.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I guess I just don't want my self-defense guns to have anything unnecessary. A magazine disconnect isn't a big deal, and I could just ignore it, but I would just rather have a pistol without it. Same with manual safeties, or Hillary keyholes.

That's a fair point about a "pro" version coming later though. I guess if you just make both styles, Ruger covers both sides of the market.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I heard that Plainfield Shooting Supply has these in stock for $289. Not bad if it turns out to have a decent trigger and is reliable.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    From a gun person point of view. I dont care about the safety. From the rest of the world point of view OHMYGAWD GUNS WITHOUT SAFETIES AHHH SO MUCH DANGER.

its a big segment of the market. I am astounded glock hasnt made a 19 with a bang switch. Seems like they are giving up a lot of money by refusing to do it.

Ive owned a shield with and without a safety. Dont care either way.
    Glock does make a 19 with a bang switch, it's called the trigger :):
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member, [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I guess I started out with 1911's so safety disengagement is just a part of the draw/grip and probably the reason I prefer a safety on a semi-auto...

Statistically, the odds of a ND are probably (no, I do not have any supporting evidence) greater than the average civilian having an inadvertent safety engagement cause bodily harm from a perp. I'll play the odds on this one and keep my safeties on a CCW semi auto. OWB duty and comp pistols can be safety free so I suppose it's just your preference and use.

I am just wonder if these 9's get any cheaper, will the hi-point all of a sudden be a mid-price gun?

Rural King has a Remington RP9 at $200 after rebate. What's a hi-point $175?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Glock does make a 19 with a bang switch, it's called the trigger :):
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member, [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

:laugh:

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I got a hold of one back in February and it is not a bad gun. The safety lever has to be moved with intent to do so, as it is small. I do however prefer no safety but can go either way with it. Great shooter and smooth. It has been sitting since I first got it, and have been trying to decide whether it is for me. I tend to lean more towards heavier sidearms.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom