• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've been reading and looking at a bucket full of "wonder nines", compact and sub-compacts. I don't need one, but still I've got that itch for something new, you know what I'm talking about.

Well anyhow I've looked at video reviews on YouTube and read everything I can find on the net and in magazines. So I went shopping today and it didn't take very long to eliminate several of them.

I was really interested in the "Honor Guard, long slide" which is kind of deceiving because it isn't all that much longer than the sub-compact, about a half inch or so, well, it is longer, so that's is truthful.
    It felt good in my hand and I liked it's features but the trigger was gritty and that was a deal breaker for me. I so wanted to support the veterans that own and work for the company but no, sorry.

Then I checked out the S&W SD9 VE, the same problem, the trigger. I don't think I could ever get used to it but I liked the rest of it.

Then there was the CZ P10C, same thing, nice gun but I didn't like the trigger. I know, I'm picky, but what else can I say?

Then there the Taurus P111 G2, wow! I don't think I have ever encountered a worse trigger. The doggone thing locked up on me several times and I couldn't get it to feel right at all. It was like something was loose and getting in the way. The rest of the gun was OK, I think. I really wanted this gun to work because I have a rebate card that I wanted to use on it, but no way. I have a Taurus M85 wheel gun that I find to be superb in every way and I was hoping the P111 G2 would be also, but no, not on your life. Sorry Taurus.

Next was a S&W MP 2.0 Shield. The one I handled had a superb trigger for a striker fired handgun and it will be on sale starting 1-4-18 at a local gun range. I liked everything about it so I'll have a hard time resisting this firearm for sure.

Next was the Kel-Tech PF9. This is an inexpensive handgun and despite it's early shortcomings in the reliability department that Kel-Tech claims to have solved now, it has many good features. The trigger pull on this firearm is long but reasonably light for a hammer fired gun, but being a wheel gunner I didn't mind it at all.

I know there are other wonder nines out there and I may have missed some of your favorites but I didn't want to take up any more of the clerks time and make a nuisance of myself but I'll keep looking and see what I can come up with in the future and I'll ad to this post. Now what can I sell or trade for that Shield, hum.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    One of the reasons I'm looking into other handguns is that I would like a range or woods gun that I don't have to be afraid of getting it dirty or dropping it or scratching it because I have found that the nicer my firearms are, the less I use them. I seem to have more fun with a well used gun that I can feel relaxed with. The closest hand gun I have to that is a Ruger, 22-45 Lite but it is only 22lr caliber and I would like to have a 9 mm or maybe a...................?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    A KAHR PM-9 is my almost constant companion. Not a bad trigger for a double action only. Mine has been 100% reliable over several thousand rounds and amazingly accurate for such a small thing. It does have a 200 round mandatory break-in schedule but well worth it to get used to it.

One of my in-home self defense items is a Beretta PX-9 storm. Mine is full size but it is available in small, medium and large per your desire. Great shooter and the low barrel axis added to a rotating barrel in the large and medium does a nice job of lessening felt recoil.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Aim surplus. Star BM 9mm. 199 plus shipping. Pre worn. The abaility to carry “cocked and locked” 1911 look. Parts available but I think it is only an 8 round gun. No plastic errrr polymer. 25 ounces unloaded. It has a mag disconnect that can be removed so the mag (with some polishing and some graphite lube ) drop free. I hit paper plates at 40 yards. Fits most 1911 holsters well enough if you have one already. Trigger normally breaks about 5 pounds. I have had a bit of work done on mine and it trips off at 4 pounds now but to tell the truth I can not tell the difference in it much from new.

Can not remember back back when I got mine. It was the 1980’s an it has no police markings at all. Price I remember 119.00 I think mine was a commercial model. You will need a good gun belt compared to a plastic fantastic pistol but these things are beast mode built and will make shooting plus p fine and reloads still run with light charges with zero issues.

They em were used in movies a lot to look like a 1911. A nice little surplus piece.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Did someone say wonder-nine....go classic;

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/734905042

You can find a lot of police turn-in's (5906/6906) that have cosmetic wear but little use. Stainless gun is great for a woods gun and all third gen smiths are built like a tank. 910/915 can be had for a little less.

Nothing wrong with the other suggestions. Just giving you something outside the box.

You mentioned range and woods - maybe you'd want something a little bigger? SW Compact; G***k 19, Springfield XD-E, etc. New Ruger Security 9? Only $329 MSRP...

Lots and lots of options today that are all decent firearms that will function quite well.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I did not see it mentioned so...
    Have you picked up a Steyr? Those of us that have them, generally love them. Not a huge glut of them on the auction sites or in the classified.
    They get very high marks from most YouTube reviewers.

It is not for everyone but it has a very nice feel in the hand and nice crisp trigger (at least mine does).
    I have shot a lot of 9mm pistols...this was one I like best. You can get it as the L9, M9, C9, or S9 sizes. Check the diagram at the bottom of this page for an explanation: L-A1 Pistol - Steyr Pistols - Firearms

(The first Steyr I shot was the M40-A1 and fell in love with the grip) The trap sights are not for everyone and you can get them with three-dot sights as an option. They come with two mags in the box. It has a pic rail.

The one downside is a lack of aftermarket add-ons if you are into that.
    I have the C9-A1. PM me if you want to shoot it.

Trebor657

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 1, 2017
    Fort wayne
    I got a Springfield XD subcompact 9mm last November and so far so good...easily concealable, short trigger reset, quick target acquisition, 13+1 or 16+1 round capacity. I have put about 300 rounds through it so far and not one hiccup...some of the ammo was junk reloads but it digested it all no issues....might be worth a look...

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Oh! I forgot to mention that my son in law has a Glock 43 9mm and my daughter has a Glock 42 .380. Both are nice handguns but the triggers feel kind of mushy just before the brake.

So far the S&W, Shield seems to be the leader but I'm searching for some more candidates and making a list of them to check out.
    Really this is kind of fun. My son in law and I used to go gun shop sailing once in a while just to check out what was available in our local area.

And then there are the big gun shows, I haven't been to one in a long time mostly because of work, but I quit my job just before Christmas and now I have free time to go to them.

Well, have a great day guys and girls.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Aim surplus. Star BM 9mm. 199 plus shipping. Pre worn. The abaility to carry “cocked and locked” 1911 look. Parts available but I think it is only an 8 round gun. No plastic errrr polymer. 25 ounces unloaded. It has a mag disconnect that can be removed so the mag (with some polishing and some graphite lube ) drop free. I hit paper plates at 40 yards. Fits most 1911 holsters well enough if you have one already. Trigger normally breaks about 5 pounds. I have had a bit of work done on mine and it trips off at 4 pounds now but to tell the truth I can not tell the difference in it much from new.

Can not remember back back when I got mine. It was the 1980’s an it has no police markings at all. Price I remember 119.00 I think mine was a commercial model. You will need a good gun belt compared to a plastic fantastic pistol but these things are beast mode built and will make shooting plus p fine and reloads still run with light charges with zero issues.

They em were used in movies a lot to look like a 1911. A nice little surplus piece.

I've got the full-sized version (Super B?) and like it a lot. Like you said, very similar to a standard 1911, and built well. I've been tempted to pick up the Star BM as a companion piece from AIM at that price.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had a dozen hand picked come in for transfers....They are mint...I mean perfect..If ever issued they were never carried...Most had two mags if not all....You need to jump on that...

Just checked and they're not offering the hand pick option at this time. Also says they only come with one mag now. Bad for me, good for my wallet though. :): If I'm not mistaken, I think SOG may be offering them now too, but I'm not sure if the price is the same. Seems like they may be 239.99 there.

Edit: Classic Firearms has them for 199.99 also but the hand pick option ($20 extra) is shown as out of stock. Guess all the really nice ones got snapped up.

Last edited:

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've got the full-sized version (Super B?) and like it a lot. Like you said, very similar to a standard 1911, and built well. I've been tempted to pick up the Star BM as a companion piece from AIM at that price.

Yes! I have the BKM and the PD, two in fact but there again they are in pristine condition and are too nice to just knock around with.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As a former PF9 owner, my gun was trouble free. But any more than about 5 mags at a time was too much. That pistol has some recoil. The slide would rust real easy but it carried great.

Top Bottom