• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I had this old H&R .22 Model 922 9-shot Revolver hiding in the safe that rarely came out to play. My Dad left me the gun when he passed. It's from 1955, not worth much cash wise, but it's fairly accurate and I will never get rid of it. I got bored the other day and had an idea, I know dangerous, right? So I asked myself, had I ever seen a red dot mounted on a .22 revolver? Nope, can't say I've seen one. Well, I had an extra red dot I wasn't using and a .22 revolver that I liked but rarely shot because the sights are absolutely horrible. Here is the result of that. Yes, I know it's ugly, makes no sense and "ruined" the gun..........but I don't care and my old man would be laughing his butt off right now wanting to shoot it himself.

It sighted in very quickly and was an absolute blast for me to shoot at the range, even in minus eight degree temps the other day. I drilled and tapped it for #8-32 threads and used red Loctite to secure the screws. There is no wiggle and it held zero so far just under 100 rounds. I can't wait to shoot it again. I am very pleased with the accuracy at 5-7 yards and will try different ammo out to 25 yds to see what it prefers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    That is an interesting modification you made to your revolver, who cares what other people think. If you are happy with it that is all that matters. I do not have much experience shooting pistols or rifles for that matter with scopes or red dots. Has your accuracy improved with the use of the new sight?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That is an interesting modification you made to your revolver, who cares what other people think. If you are happy with it that is all that matters. I do not have much experience shooting pistols or rifles for that matter with scopes or red dots. Has your accuracy improved with the use of the new sight?
    Yes, accuracy did improve.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As a purist when it comes to vintage guns it makes my heart ache...As a fellow Hoosier and shooter I say good for you...Enjoy it....:yesway::ingo:

That model is often referred to as the "Camper" model...Very neat guns and men of a certain age will remember their father's having those in the family camping kit or( in the short barrel version) the "tackle box" gun....Very reliable...Ugly but classy at the same time...I am estimating mid 60's on that one....

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    My Father taught my brother & I how to shoot with an H&R 9 shot 22lr & a Marlin bolt action..
    We where five when he first started the training..
    Thanks Pop..
    Gary/Hk

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    As a purist when it comes to vintage guns it makes my heart ache...As a fellow Hoosier and shooter I say good for you...Enjoy it....:yesway::ingo:

That model is often referred to as the "Camper" model...Very neat guns and men of a certain age will remember their father's having those in the family camping kit or( in the short barrel version) the "tackle box" gun....Very reliable...Ugly but classy at the same time...I am estimating mid 60's on that one....

From what research I could find, 1955 model. Before they started to go to the swing out cylinder. I have interest in getting one with a swing out cylinder or top break...someday.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    From what research I could find, 1955 model. Before they started to go to the swing out cylinder. I have interest in getting one with a swing out cylinder or top break...someday.

They actually made both at the same time....About a $5 difference...I have a mid 60's Shooters Bible and you would not believe how many revolver models H&R made...True "working man's" guns....I have a mid 70's without a swing out cylinder's snub here in the shop now in .32 s&w....The one's without the swing out cylinder were the "tackle box" or "Camper" models and were made through the mid 70's...One of my customer's here in the shop collects them and I know way too much arcane knowledge on these guns lol....Very nice revolver...Nothing wasted for looks on those...Pure function....

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    They actually made both at the same time....About a $5 difference...I have a mid 60's Shooters Bible and you would not believe how many revolver models H&R made...True "working man's" guns....I have a mid 70's without a swing out cylinder's snub here in the shop now in .32 s&w....The one's without the swing out cylinder were the "tackle box" or "Camper" models and were made through the mid 70's...One of my customer's here in the shop collects them and I know way too much arcane knowledge on these guns lol....Very nice revolver...Nothing wasted for looks on those...Pure function....
    Ah gotcha. I admit, my research was very brief and not thorough. Thanks for the info.

My only gripe is having to pull that pin and remove the cylinder entirely to reload it, then hold your tongue just right to reinstall it. Let me know if you ever come across any of the .22 versions that I mentioned interest in.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    You did a nice job installing the mount. You will have a lot of fun with that revolver. I have a S&W 617 (10-shot 22, DA revolver) with a red dot on it. It is a lot of fun and I shoot it sometimes at Steel Challenge matches. Enjoy.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    very cool.
    I've seen a few revolvers with red dots, they're not common at all though. Kind of a shame, since the mechanics (fixed barrel, etc) lend themselves to accuracy and a red dot can hopefully improve accuracy and/or speed.

For the standard Ruger GP100s, they make a rail called the Weigatinny mount, for mounting scopes or red dots... I never quite got around to doing one on my GP100, but it was always tempting.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    looks like a squirrel killer to me.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    very cool.
    I've seen a few revolvers with red dots, they're not common at all though. Kind of a shame, since the mechanics (fixed barrel, etc) lend themselves to accuracy and a red dot can hopefully improve accuracy and/or speed.

For the standard Ruger GP100s, they make a rail called the Weigatinny mount, for mounting scopes or red dots... I never quite got around to doing one on my GP100, but it was always tempting.
    I remember seeing a GP100 around here a few years back with that rail and a Burris Fastfire on it. Looked really good.
    You did a nice job installing the mount. You will have a lot of fun with that revolver. I have a S&W 617 (10-shot 22, DA revolver) with a red dot on it. It is a lot of fun and I shoot it sometimes at Steel Challenge matches. Enjoy.
    Thank you for the compliment.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    very cool.

One of the guys that shoots in our Tuesday night pistol league just put a Weigatinny mount on his GP100. Looks and shoots great.

Almost all of the top shooters in our league shoot revolvers. That's not necessarily what makes them shoot so good, revolvers are just what they prefer to shoot.

My Frank Glenn custom revolver (for Bianchi Cup) has a red dot. It is a great shooter and very solid on the barricades. I have a 7-shot 686 with a dot that I use for steel too. My S&W 625 has a dot and I shoot that in CF and 45 bullseye. It gets a lot of attention on the line at Camp Perry on 45 day.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I moved the Holosun red dot off the revolver and onto my daughter's .22 AR. I put a Burris Fastfire III on the revolver instead. While it's still hideous (beauty is in the eye of the beholder ??), anyways it looks less bulky and is noticeably lighter as well. I'm pretty happy with it now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I moved the Holosun red dot off the revolver and onto my daughter's .22 AR. I put a Burris Fastfire III on the revolver instead. While it's still hideous (beauty is in the eye of the beholder ??), anyways it looks less bulky and is noticeably lighter as well. I'm pretty happy with it now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Isn't the Burris worth more than the revolver? All kidding aside, I'm contemplating a mount and a Leupold Delta Point Pro for my S&W 629 Classic. There is a place in California machining mounts that fit the factory drilled holes in the top strap that the DPP will attach to without the huge Weaver style base.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I think the Burris looks cool on there. I also recently inherited a H&R from my Dad, Dad inherited it from his stepfather who was a POW of the Germans for about 1 year in WWII. Being a POW doesn't have anything to do with the pistol just a tidbit of family history.

Top Bottom