• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    This has to be one of the biggest scams I have ever heard of. $1000 for an old and busted worn out 1911? P.T. Barnum was right.....

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What is it that you were expecting for the 1911 sales? It sounds like a lot of folks were thinking that these would be dumped on the market as cheap shooters. That would never happen, nor should it happen. I agree that some of the steps being taken are overkill, like the random number generators, but if over thinking the process is the worst of the issues, then so be it.

If you are just wanting a cheap shooter, then by an RIA GI style 1911. They are probably as close as you'll get to a USGI build quality in a lot of ways and you can plink all day long without worry.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    While I like 1911's and have a couple, I have no interest in going through the hassle and price to get one of these.
    The Argentine Sistema I have is a good enough representation of a GI Colt 1911 for me.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    While I like 1911's and have a couple, I have no interest in going through the hassle and price to get one of these.
    The Argentine Sistema I have is a good enough representation of a GI Colt 1911 for me.

Exactly. I have a Remington R1 for play time and for learning the platform. I would like to have a GI model from the old days, but I am not about to jump through all those hoops for the privilege of paying $1,000 for one. As Drail posted above, "P.T. Barnum was right ....."

Falschirmjaeger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Noblesville
    Do we know that they're going to all busted up and worn out? I haven't priced a GI 1911 mixmaster lately, but a grand isn't that far out of line, is it? I'm guessing they'll have no problem moving them because, if nothing else, it seems that lots of people will like the novelty of getting a military 1911. Not trying to start a flame war here, just genuinely curious why it seems there are such negative views about how CMP is handling the sales on these.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Do we know that they're going to all busted up and worn out? I haven't priced a GI 1911 mixmaster lately, but a grand isn't that far out of line, is it? I'm guessing they'll have no problem moving them because, if nothing else, it seems that lots of people will like the novelty of getting a military 1911. Not trying to start a flame war here, just genuinely curious why it seems there are such negative views about how CMP is handling the sales on these.

I'm with you on this one. There's a lot of speculation swirling around on this topic these days. Also, $1,000 for a historically-significant firearm - is that a lot? C'mon! I'm not made of money, but this seems reasonable to me.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm with you on this one. There's a lot of speculation swirling around on this topic these days. Also, $1,000 for a historically-significant firearm - is that a lot? C'mon! I'm not made of money, but this seems reasonable to me.

Since Billy Jeff tried to have them melted down as scrap, I would tend to suppose that they should be made available to us, limit one per person for a period of time, for scrap price. After all, our parents and/or grandparents paid for them in the first place. After running a one per person per unit of time for a few years, then they should open up unlimited sales, rather than the 'standard' CMP process which makes it just not worth the trouble to many of us.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Since Billy Jeff tried to have them melted down as scrap, I would tend to suppose that they should be made available to us, limit one per person for a period of time, for scrap price. After all, our parents and/or grandparents paid for them in the first place. After running a one per person per unit of time for a few years, then they should open up unlimited sales, rather than the 'standard' CMP process which makes it just not worth the trouble to many of us.

Billy Jeff = Wiliam Jefferson Cinton? Took me a minute to arrive at that one. :):

I'm no fan of Clinton (either one, take your pick). I wouldn't want to deny a good program like the CMP (with which I have absolutely no affiliation), the opportunity to sell historically significant firearms at a fair-market price, due the shenanigans of an anti 2A creep who used to occupy the White House.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    The 1911 served from 1911 to the mid nineties!
    Most of them are junk some with no name slides and two piece frames from the Philippines. I was issued one that had evidently had rusted around the firing pin the solution a brass insert !
    Pistols are beat up in the Army and not handled with care and respect the M9’s coming to the end of their service life’s after 30 odd years. Think of what the 1911’s look like after about 85 years!
    The beloved M1 had a service life from 1936 to about 1960 !

Romance don’t have a place in reality!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Most of them are junk some with no name slides and two piece frames from the Philippines. I was issued one that had evidently had rusted around the firing pin the solution a brass insert !
    Pistols are beat up in the Army and not handled with care and respect the M9’s coming to the end of their service life’s after 30 odd years. Think of what the 1911’s look like after about 85 years!

That might explain the 1911 I saw in the Special Forces Museaum in Fayetteville, NC. I had always figured that it was just a commercially sourced 1911 that was put on display (Mogadishu display IIRC) because it had all sorts of non-USGI parts on it. Could have been the real deal I'm thinking now.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis

It all depends on your reason for wanting it. Different strokes, and all. Personally, I like mismatched, battle-worn, arsenal-patched pieces. I think about Clapton's old battle-ax 'Blackie'. Difficult to imagine a guitarist deciding that it is worth less because it is worn out and parts have been replaced. To the contrary, It displays the wear and tear of decades of travel, practice and performance. It is living relic.

Heck, for some, I realize it's heresy, but I like import markings. It's like a stamp in a passport.

If one wants a pristine handgun - there are quite literally hundreds from which to chose. Give me a gun that's worn, mismatched, and import-marked. Far more interesting.

So, are these views goofy enough to get me ejected from the forum? :popcorn:

Last edited:

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    $1000.00? What am I missing here, the article doesnt state a price...

Nope. You are not missing anything. The prices have not been set, yet. This is interweb speculation caused by a dearth on information from CMP. Although, I would not be surprised if the prices are in that range.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The reason the D.O.D replaced these 1911s with the Burrito in 86 was because they are old and worn out and cannot be "rebuilt" any more. If the D.O.D. declares materiel to be completely worn out and not fit for issue - they're not kidding. They are old and busted mixmasters. What bothers me is the idea that "we the taxpayers" paid for these guns with our hard earned tax dollars and then paid millions more to store them in an armory for 30 years - and now they want to sell us back this stuff for 5 times what they paid for them. Perfect....... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The reason the D.O.D replaced these 1911s with the Burrito in 86 was because they are old and worn out and cannot be "rebuilt" any more. If the D.O.D. declares materiel to be completely worn out and not fit for issue - they're not kidding. They are old and busted mixmasters. What bothers me is the idea that "we the taxpayers" paid for these guns with our hard earned tax dollars and then paid millions more to store them in an armory for 30 years - and now they want to sell us back this stuff for 5 times what they paid for them. Perfect....... :rolleyes:

I'm not sure that I agree with this totally. If the CMP does what they usually do (with their Garands), they will be gone through and at least be made into working guns. Not a complete re-arsenal, but probably replacing worn springs, etc.. So to say that they're all going to be "old and busted" I just don't believe will be the case. Worn, certainly, and probably to varying degrees (like their Garands), and from what I've read from the CMP, they will be priced accordingly. Now will those prices be "bargains"? Maybe not, but as has been stated, they're a piece of history and that has value to some folks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I would prefer to have an option through the CMP to take the gun 'as-is'. What I would want from this is a US issued, US used and US soldier carried piece that exhibits the wear that US soldiers have put it through. I don't want a 'refurbished' 1911 from the CMP, I'd rather them offer the option to send it as they got it. I don't want a carry gun or, even a decent shooter from one of these. I want a piece of US military history, warts and all.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I would prefer to have an option through the CMP to take the gun 'as-is'. What I would want from this is a US issued, US used and US soldier carried piece that exhibits the wear that US soldiers have put it through. I don't want a 'refurbished' 1911 from the CMP, I'd rather them offer the option to send it as they got it. I don't want a carry gun or, even a decent shooter from one of these. I want a piece of US military history, warts and all.
    Pretty sure that there will be different grades. That being said, most all 1911a1's that were former service pistols, will have been refurbished (some numerous times). The good part is that, like police weapons, few will have been used as training weapons with a huge amount of rounds through them.

Top Bottom