• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have gravitated toward having Smith and Wesson in different calibers/models (except for my tilt-up barrel fascination).
    I am a .22 lover and thought I'd get another and my research has put the S&W M&P Compact above other-like .22s (Ruger SR, Walther PPQ and etc.).
    Of course, I'm a novice and could be wrong, but since I have gone the S&W route b/c they seemed to be the best bang for the buck and I've gotten some stellar prices, and Smith stands behind them.

I have been looking every day for months but this gun does not come up for sale used, it seems. :dunno:
    I almost bought a Ruger SR 22 while waiting, a Bersa .22 just recently, and the Walther 22.
    I even nearly got carried away and bought a Kimber 1911 Stainless Steel .22 just b/c it was drop-dead gorgeous and I love the other 1911 .22 that I have.

I don't know what it is about the .22 but it is easier for me to find good deals on any other caliber.
    Early on (started last May), when I wanted a really good .22 revolver (S&W 617 or Ruger GP100),
    I had to buy new b/c nothing came up used that wasn't nearly new in price, so I bought the Ruger GP100 for $600 at Hoosier Armory (seems to have the best prices on new guns).
    I now wish I'd paid the extra $80 and got the S&W 617 since I have the S&W thing going, :dunno:
    But, I had the Ruger in my hand, and the 617 would have had to have been ordered and I blinked, ha!
    They were in Carmel (selling out of a garage) and have moved to Noblesville to a storefront.
    I haven't been there yet b/c I moved from NE to SE Indy and haven't even been able to go to the range since mid-October. I have bought probably 4-5 guns in that time and haven't been able to go try them out: bummer.
    My daughter even bought me 5 range passes for Point Blank for Xmas! After I use them and some free passes I've got, I'll join their monthly membership for $35/mo. for unlimited range time (when I can go at least 2-4 times/mo.

I'm going to put a WTB in the Classifieds, but I'm not hopeful.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    262   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I picked a new one up last weekend at one of the LGS here in Fort Wayne. I plan on using it to train some family members and as a suppressor host later on down the road. I've put almost 300 rounds through it with over a dozen types of ammo, only had issues with Geco brand, everything else ran great. Very accurate for me and a really fun pistol to shoot that is a little bigger than a Shield that has a pretty good trigger to boot. I too was debating between a Ruger 22/45 Lite, Walther PPQ and a few others. I picked the S&W because of the smaller size, lighter weight and threaded barrel. There was a used one at the gun show last weekend, an Ingo member named Drakkule was selling it, you might try contacting him to see if he still has it for sale. I think he had $275 on it. He is an FFL up this way, Butler area I believe.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    My mom has one, it fit her best. I have the 22/45 but I either wanted something to what I carry (glock) or something I love (1911) so I went with the 22/45

Ryno22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2017
    Fishers
    I've seen 2 used 22 Compacts in the last 3 weeks. Both times were at Point Blank Carmel. $300 the first time and $290 the next. I just happen to be at Rural King in Frankfort on Thursday and bought a new one from them for $299.99. The guy behind the counter said that their website had 300 in stock and they will ship to store for $9.99. My advice would to be to buy new because the used prices seem to be around $50 less than most places sale price.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've seen 2 used 22 Compacts in the last 3 weeks. Both times were at Point Blank Carmel. $300 the first time and $290 the next. I just happen to be at Rural King in Frankfort on Thursday and bought a new one from them for $299.99. The guy behind the counter said that their website had 300 in stock and they will ship to store for $9.99. My advice would to be to buy new because the used prices seem to be around $50 less than most places sale price.

1. Point made, and my feelings exactly.
    2. I have 2 places I have bought new and used from (Hoosier Armory/Noblesville and Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield) and I sent them both an email telling them to give me their best "out-out-the-door" price.
    3. Hoosier Armory advertised price:

convert

Smith & Wesson M&P22 Compact
    PRODUCT CODE : 022188083903
    $327.99
    Mfg Item #: 108390

ADD TO CART
    AVAILABLE ONLINE

The Smith & Wesson M&P has a reinforced polymer chassis, superior ergonomics, ambidextrous controls, and proven safety features. In designing the M&P, Smith & Wesson considered the needs of military and law enforcement from every conceivable angle, so the M&P is the standard in reliability when your job is to serve and protect and your life is on the line. This M&P22 Compact model features a black polymer frame with a Picatinny rail, black Armornite aluminum slide, and 3-dot sights with an adjustable rear. Its threaded barrel comes with a thread adapter to fit most 1/2" x 28 threaded suppressors.

Type Pistol
    Action Single
    Caliber 22 Long Rifle (LR)
    Barrel Length 3.5"
    Capacity 10+1
    Safety Ambidextrous Manual/Magazine
    Grips Black Polymer Grip/Frame
    Sight Configuration 3-Dot Adjustable Rear
    Weight 15.3 oz
    Frame Finish Black
    Frame Material Polymer
    Barrel Type Threaded
    Slide Description Black Armornite Aluminum Alloy
    Sight Style Contrast
    Barrel Length Range 3.00" to 3.99"
    Weight Range 9.00 oz to 15.99 oz

NOTE: There will be $23 in taxes buying off a shop and I assume shipping at the above price at Hoosier Armory, not sure if "availlable online" means a customer pays shipping or that's built into the price, and I don't know what shipping costs are ($20ish???).

Gunbuyer has them for $290: should that be a viable option? (no shipping and $20/taxes + $25 FFL fee, at Marksman Shooting Sports)
    I have no experience with them, and after my Palmetto Armory Shield magazine fiasco, I'm a little gun shy (all puns intended).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've seen 2 used 22 Compacts in the last 3 weeks. Both times were at Point Blank Carmel. $300 the first time and $290 the next. I just happen to be at Rural King in Frankfort on Thursday and bought a new one from them for $299.99. The guy behind the counter said that their website had 300 in stock and they will ship to store for $9.99. My advice would to be to buy new because the used prices seem to be around $50 less than most places sale price1.

1. Great tip! Thanks! I don't have to deal with online, shipping, FFL or whatever.
    2. Just called Rural King in Greenwood (I live 12 miles/24 minutes away) and talked with Ryan and they do have them for $300 with 2 in store, one sold (waiting for pickup) and the other available.
    3. I can't believe their hours (open at 7am even on Sunday). They don't sell used.
    4. When I asked about the Ruger GP100 and the Smith 617 he said they don't carry them: it took 1.5 yrs. to sell the last 617???.
    5. I don't have to be in a hurry, if they sell the last one they have, they'll get more, so I'll wait to see what Hoosier Armory and Marksman Shooting Sports say before I run down there to buy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I picked a new one up last weekend at one of the LGS here in Fort Wayne. I plan on using it to train some family members and as a suppressor host later on down the road. I've put almost 300 rounds through it with over a dozen types of ammo, only had issues with Geco brand, everything else ran great. Very accurate for me and a really fun pistol to shoot that is a little bigger than a Shield that has a pretty good trigger to boot. I too was debating between a Ruger 22/45 Lite, Walther PPQ and a few others. I picked the S&W because of the smaller size, lighter weight and threaded barrel. There was a used one at the gun show last weekend, an Ingo member named Drakkule was selling it, you might try contacting him to see if he still has it for sale. I think he had $275 on it. He is an FFL up this way, Butler area I believe.

1. Love to hear those type of stories!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. Great tip! Thanks! I don't have to deal with online, shipping, FFL or whatever.
    2. Just called Rural King in Greenwood (I live 12 miles/24 minutes away) and talked with Ryan and they do have them for $300 with 2 in store, one sold (waiting for pickup) and the other available.
    3. I can't believe their hours (open at 7am even on Sunday). They don't sell used.
    4. When I asked about the Ruger GP100 and the Smith 617 he said they don't carry them: it took 1.5 yrs. to sell the last 617???.
    5. I don't have to be in a hurry, if they sell the last one they have, they'll get more, so I'll wait to see what Hoosier Armory and Marksman Shooting Sports say before I run down there to buy.

If you buy one online, you should check out USDS down your way for transfers... Firearm Transfers | US Defense Solutions

I haven't been pricing the M&P 22's yet much myself, but may be looking to do so. I'd suggest signing up for the emails on Grab a Gun and watching for their deals. Not sure on the 22 Compacts how often they may run them, but they have certainly had some outstanding pricing on some of the other M&Ps. I picked up one of my new M&P 2.0 Compacts from them, and used USDS for the transfer. USDS was excellent (called me same day gun arrived, and quick, clean transaction on the transfer, and $15 cash transfer fee). Grab a Gun seemed fine as well, with low cost shipping, etc.

You can also sign up for the RKGuns emails. RKGuns was more on shipping than grab a gun (slightly), you can use another FFL but if you have it shipped to RK from RKGuns, no transfer fee, but there is sales tax on the actual transaction at the time of the purchase because of their in state presence, etc (yes, I know the laws on this, so careful not to say no sales tax from some other vendors, etc).

I bought the other M&P 2.0 compact I have through RKGuns (they were the first to run a really good price, though when I later bought through grab a gun they were slightly less and have been running some stellar prices on them since as well). I had it shipped to RK in Greenwood. No particular issues, but RK's policies are a bit strange. They would not let me really touch the gun to inspect it (not sure if this is RK policy or what, but they also only seemed to let folks handle what was in the case with a trigger lock on it, which is effectively useless. Since the transfer guns had no trigger locks, they would not let you hold it), and several of their terminals were down for doing the 4473, at the time. I had the RK gun counter person do some function checks on the gun, and then did the transfer. I did not care for this, as the best guidance is to always inspect the firearm well before a transfer to avoid issues, and refuse the transfer if there is an issue with the gun. I'd say I was in and out much faster at USDS than I was at RK, and I didn't have 20 guns pointed at me in the time it took to do the transfer, etc (even though said firearms had the trigger locks on them, I'm still not a fan of being pointed at, swept, etc).

Anyway sorry for the long post, but if you are interested in buying online, moral of the story: check out grab a gun for good pricing, low cost shipping, etc and use USDS for the transfer.

Just be careful, both of those email specials subscriptions may cost you money :ingo:

Last edited:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I love .22 pistols and have owned several. I would advise against the Walther P22. It might of just been mine, but a friend of mine had the same issues.
    They were both very ammo picky, they didn't like any brand of ammo. Light strikes on everything. At least once per mag.
    I've since sold mine.
    I wanted a Smith, but never could find one used. I found a Beretta and got it instead.
    Best .22 I've ever owned. Going on about 400 rounds, not alot but 0 issues so far.
    Can't hardly find the Berettas either though.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love .22 pistols and have owned several. I would advise against the Walther P22. It might of just been mine, but a friend of mine had the same issues.
    They were both very ammo picky, they didn't like any brand of ammo. Light strikes on everything. At least once per mag.
    I've since sold mine.
    I wanted a Smith, but never could find one used. I found a Beretta and got it instead.
    Best .22 I've ever owned. Going on about 400 rounds, not alot but 0 issues so far.
    Can't hardly find the Berettas either though.

1. Yes, that is what I read about the Walter P22 and the Ruger RS, as well.
    2. I have a good attitude about the Berettas, as well, from my reading.
    3. Don't know much about the Bersa, and wondered about them.
    4. I decided to just stick with the Smith M&P Compact .22, since I like the idea of a fixed barrel.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have one, but it's not for sale yet...
    I actually had a little of a hard time getting it to shoot consistently out of the box. I had trouble with the rear sight, and sight picture, etc. After I got that figure out, I find it to be a very nice shooter. Don't know that I'm good enough to take it squirrel hunting at very far distances, but it's a nice training piece.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have one, but it's not for sale yet...
    I actually had a little of a hard time getting it to shoot consistently out of the box. I had trouble with the rear sight, and sight picture, etc. After I got that figure out, I find it to be a very nice shooter. Don't know that I'm good enough to take it squirrel hunting at very far distances, but it's a nice training piece.

1. Curious: where did you get yours?

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    If you like fixed barrel 22's I would consider a Ruger Mark 2,3,or 4. I purchased my second Mark 2. It has a blue finish and 4 inch bull barrel. It is a really nice shooter for me. Another option can be the Browning Buckmark, if you want arguably the best 22 you could look at a S&W 41

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you like fixed barrel 22's I would consider a Ruger Mark 2,3,or 4. I purchased my second Mark 2. It has a blue finish and 4 inch bull barrel. It is a really nice shooter for me. Another option can be the Browning Buckmark, if you want arguably the best 22 you could look at a S&W 41

1. I don't want any of the type like the Smith Victory; I had one and only kept it a week: I love revolvers.
    2. Just thought I'd get a small .22 for fun, and I want to keep the price in sub $300.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Quote:(except for my tilt-up barrel fascination).

Speaking of tip-up barrel handgun's when I was just a kid I had a Sheridan, "Knock-about" 22lr single shot tilt barrel handgun. I carried it with me most of the time when we went out scouting about on Fall creek and the White river.
    I recently tried to find a used one but I'm better off just remembering the one I had.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I just checked at Cabelas and they sell for $380 and up there.
    2. Making RK look pretty good at $300!
    3. That's $380 (Cabelas) and $350 (Marksman Shooting Sports) and $349 ( Tim's Shooting Academy) and $338, I remember?, at (Hoosier Armory).
    4. I'd go pick one up tonight if I didn't have a meeting, but I still might squeeze it in.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    LOL. One thread you are consolidating and this thread you are buying. Gotta like your style!

I bought a used SW Victory with a bunch of mags and really like it. Very accurate and has the weight of a full size gun. Has been flawless with various types of CCI and SGB ammo. Not the best looking gun in my opinion but...

RKGuns has some really good prices if you are looking for what they have on sale.

I'd like to have the SW M&P 22...maybe when T-DOGG moves on from his, I will get a shot at it?

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    i have both the s&w m&p 22 and walther ppks. i tell you the walther just looks and feels so nice, but the s&w is a better shooter for me. right out of the box its great. i lost to the wife though, it has now become her gun, she even had me put a laser on it and engrave her name on it :rolleyes:.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    LOL. One thread you are consolidating and this thread you are buying. Gotta like your style!

I bought a used SW Victory with a bunch of mags and really like it. Very accurate and has the weight of a full size gun. Has been flawless with various types of CCI and SGB ammo. Not the best looking gun in my opinion but...

RKGuns has some really good prices if you are looking for what they have on sale.

I'd like to have the SW M&P 22...maybe when T-DOGG moves on from his, I will get a shot at it?

1. Yes, I am a contradiction. I have a "gap" with needing multiple .22s, but not in the other calibers. :dunno:
    2. In other words, we all justify what we want to justify, don't we? :laugh:
    3. I try to be logical, but there are flaws that are obvious. :ugh:
    4. OK, I'll admit it: I never really grew up, and I never had enough toys and I'm trying to catch up. :lmfao:
    5. On a more serious note, when I had my Victory, I should have bought a revolver first, then maybe I'd have enjoyed the Victory more.
    6. Based on my experience of really enjoying my 1911 Sig Sauer, perhaps I didn't give the Victory its proper due.
    7. Perhaps when I get a Smith Compact M&P, I'll not enjoy it for the same reasons, but I have to give it a shot.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    i have both the s&w m&p 22 and walther ppks. i tell you the walther just looks and feels so nice, but the s&w is a better shooter for me. right out of the box its great. i lost to the wife though, it has now become her gun, she even had me put a laser on it and engrave her name on it :rolleyes:.

1. Very interesting input.
    2. I wish you would have elaborated on your experience with using different ammo in both guns and if there were jams and misfeeds in both or none at all in either.
    3. In a perfect world, I would have the Ruger, Walther and Smith.

Top Bottom