Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

S&W revolver question

If you have a standard revolver, can you send it in to the performance center for an upgrade? If you can, is it worth it?

Yes you can. Whether it is worth it depends on the upgrade. There are a good number of smiths who do excellent action jobs. I've owned 3 or 4 full on performance center guns and several "semi-custom" factory offerings. To me the more appealing factors are the unusual facets of the revolver such as non-standard barrel length, different sights/trigger combos, etc. Actions on all of those were pretty sweet though.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Expert
    If you want a nicely tuned S&W revolver take it to a knowledgeable revolver smith. The S&W Performance Center is a total ripoff. It's not that they cannot do a good job - it's that they just don't. Be aware that dropping a spring kit in is not the same as a tuned action. If you want to learn to do it yourself buy the Kuhnhausen S&W revolver Shop Manual (and some tools).

Contact Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, IN for any action work on any S&W revolver. Iím sure others on INGO will confirm he is a preeminent revolver gunsmith right here in Indiana. Besides he is a hoot to meet and talk to about firearms.
    If you always do what you've always done you will only get what you've always gotten.

Sand Burr Gun Ranch

Take it here. One of the best S&W guys in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    The N in INGO stands for knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by pudly View Post
    FYI- You can make that assumption, but not everyone intends to dicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    ***Hey, you be friends with Kirk Freeman and see how it affects you.***
    INGOer # 22999

Look up BossHoss on here. He's over in the Patoka Lake area. This guy knows his S&W revolvers!
    Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by TLHelmer View Post
    If you have a standard revolver, can you send it in to the performance center for an upgrade? If you can, is it worth it?
    Cost vs. benefit. Only you can make the call, TL.

Denny R. is fantastic. I own several examples of his work.

Hamilton Bowen is amazing too.
    Have you written Speaker Bosma and Senator Long today about Constitutional Carry?

Quote Originally Posted by TLHelmer View Post
    Yes.

No.

Smith and Wesson quality control on revolvers sucks right now, last I heard they were backed up 2 months on repairs. My "performance center" 929 is one of many that came from the factory half arsed at best.

Another BossHoss fan here.
    In a perfect world liberals would taste good and be easy to field dress.

Quote Originally Posted by bgcatty View Post
    Contact Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, IN for any action work on any S&W revolver. Iím sure others on INGO will confirm he is a preeminent revolver gunsmith right here in Indiana. Besides he is a hoot to meet and talk to about firearms.
    You will find no better.

Thanks for all of your responses! I appreciate it. I am not new into revolvers, but new into small revolvers.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast