Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

S&W revolver question

If you have a standard revolver, can you send it in to the performance center for an upgrade? If you can, is it worth it?

User Info Menu

Yes you can. Whether it is worth it depends on the upgrade. There are a good number of smiths who do excellent action jobs. I've owned 3 or 4 full on performance center guns and several "semi-custom" factory offerings. To me the more appealing factors are the unusual facets of the revolver such as non-standard barrel length, different sights/trigger combos, etc. Actions on all of those were pretty sweet though.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Expert

User Info Menu

If you want a nicely tuned S&W revolver take it to a knowledgeable revolver smith. The S&W Performance Center is a total ripoff. It's not that they cannot do a good job - it's that they just don't. Be aware that dropping a spring kit in is not the same as a tuned action. If you want to learn to do it yourself buy the Kuhnhausen S&W revolver Shop Manual (and some tools).

User Info Menu

Contact Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, IN for any action work on any S&W revolver. Iím sure others on INGO will confirm he is a preeminent revolver gunsmith right here in Indiana. Besides he is a hoot to meet and talk to about firearms.
    If you always do what you've always done you will only get what you've always gotten.

User Info Menu

Sand Burr Gun Ranch

Take it here. One of the best S&W guys in the country.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE
    >>>>>>>>>> www.ingunowners.com/forums/forum-support-suggestions/446735-posting-photos-imgur-ingo.html <<<<<<<<<

INGOer # 22951

User Info Menu

Look up BossHoss on here. He's over in the Patoka Lake area. This guy knows his S&W revolvers!
    Liberalism: a religion pretending to be a political movement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLHelmer View Post
    If you have a standard revolver, can you send it in to the performance center for an upgrade? If you can, is it worth it?
    Cost vs. benefit. Only you can make the call, TL.

Denny R. is fantastic. I own several examples of his work.

Hamilton Bowen is amazing too.
    Stock up, get trained up, get sorted out

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLHelmer View Post
    Yes.

No.

Smith and Wesson quality control on revolvers sucks right now, last I heard they were backed up 2 months on repairs. My "performance center" 929 is one of many that came from the factory half arsed at best.

Another BossHoss fan here.
    In a perfect world liberals would taste good and be easy to field dress.

aka T-Dogg's Stunt Double mcapo's Avatar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bgcatty View Post
    Contact Denny Reichard at Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Rochester, IN for any action work on any S&W revolver. Iím sure others on INGO will confirm he is a preeminent revolver gunsmith right here in Indiana. Besides he is a hoot to meet and talk to about firearms.
    You will find no better.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of your responses! I appreciate it. I am not new into revolvers, but new into small revolvers.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast