• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. I have reached the point that I need to quit buying and find out which calibers I want to keep and sell; I've got too much "duplicity" at this point.
    2. Problem is, I haven't been able to go to the range since mid-Oct. b/c of moving and laziness, to know which to purge, like I did last summer with all my 9mm buying and selling to find "the one."
    3. Practicing at the range with my variety of calibers will help me narrow down my "keepers" since I don't want to have too much $$ sitting in guns I don't use.

4. Deciding whether to keep a 9mm or the 45mm Smith will be a big decision; I gravitate toward the small for CC, but they are nearly the same size.
    5. My "home" gun is a Smith .38 SS 4 inch 6 shot that I'd "never" sell.
    6. For small CC I have a Smith .380 I "had" to buy simply b/c of the price (don't remember if it was $200 or $250 at this point (it is written down in my planner).
    I enjoy carrying it when I'm not CC my Smith SS 5 shot hammerless 642 that I bought at Cabelas after a tip here: $300 (a sweet buy at the time and still is).

7. I have tilt-up barrels in Beretta and Taurus in .22, .25, and 32 since I love the simplicity of design and small size, but I need to sell off some "duplicates" I have, plus decide which caliber of tilt-up do I really want to keep?
    Probably if I want a small carry, the .32 would be logical instead of the .22 or .25.
    I would keep a .22 tilt-up just b/c of cheap shooting, but if I get the Smith Compact MP 22, that might not be logical since I have my Ruger GP100, and Sig Sauer 1922 .22. And, my Henry lever-action .22 rifle just for fun.

8. I was going to buy several .22 guns for fun and target shooting flavors, but buying a house, all kitchen appliances and water softeners and R/O water machines, and now looking to buy a subcompact SUV (HR-V Honda or Subaru Crosstrek) to update the 05 Corolla I am out of money.
    Just buying the Smith Compact MP .22 is not good timing, and if I'm going to be forced to buy new, I guess there is no hurry, other than if RK sells off all its old stock of the 2017s and raises the price of newer stock, it will hurt, since I like saving, especially if I buy new.

9. After I go to the range a few times and give everything a good practice I'll sell the .22 Taurus and Beretta, if I decide to keep the Smith MP Compact 22 that I want to buy.
    After a tip here Sunday, RK sells them for $300 +tax, and I can't get one used for that price. A gun shop I have dealt with and love the owner (honest and great used prices), he can only go down to $350 +tax (small shop).

10. I might keep my Smith SD9VE as I regular size gun (not as compact like all my others), just b/c it is a Smith and I would like to have a larger gun on hand that I wouldn't carry much, but would give the option when desired.
    I could sell it to get another large full size, since I got such a sweet deal on it, but I'm sure another deal will come along and I'll be forced to sell it, but I haven't been able to spend any range time with it yet.

11. I have reached the point where I have maxed out on the $$ I want invested.
    I can see that there is no end to the buying, I do love the hunt so much.
    12. Recently, I nearly bought a $200 Bersa .22 and a couple of other guns just b/c I thought the price was so good, but I'm trying to decide what I really want, not just buy b/c of price and then have to resell to buy the next one. Thus, spend $300 on a Smith Compact rather than the Bersa for $200, since the reviews on the Smith beat the Ruger SR and the Walther P22 (not sure about the PPQ 22 Walter).

13. The concept of having to sell one if I buy another is upon me.
    14. I almost bought a couple more of the tilt-up barrels recently (to get SS or nickel), but when you have a perfectly good $160 tilt-up, it's hard to sell to buy another at $300 or more just to get it.
    15. I'm still having fun!
    16. I know I'll get no sympathy about $$ spent or # of guns, but remember: I've only been doing this since May.
    17. If I had time to sell off some Star Trek and Star War memorabilia that has been in my closet since the 90s and when son and I had fun with it I would have a little cash (only sold 2 items out of "many."

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I will not give advice on what guns too sell.
    But as far as your car, my Wife and I have owned 3 Subaru's. They are hard to beat as far as bang for your buck, and they rarely break down.
    The night I came over to your house I was in our Subaru Forester.

Have you considered maybe getting rid of 3 cheaper guns and buying.......say a Glock 19 with night sights?
    Good mid sized pistol, that is leaps and bounds better than the Smith SD9VE.
    Just food for thought, makes a great night stand gun, put a small tac light on the rail.
    Glocks are not all the expensive either.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m not a collector so my views are keep the ones you will shoot and sell the ones you won’t shoot.

Majority if what I own are fun guns, kept around simply because I enjoy them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I will not give advice on what guns too sell.
    But as far as your car, my Wife and I have owned 3 Subaru's. They are hard to beat as far as bang for your buck, and they rarely break down.
    The night I came over to your house I was in our Subaru Forester.

Have you considered maybe getting rid of 3 cheaper guns and buying.......say a Glock 19 with night sights?
    Just food for thought, makes a great night stand gun, put a small tac light on the rail.
    Glocks are not all the expensive either.

1. Hey Gunner!!!! So good to hear from you!
    2. You probably know I sold my house. I paid $350 for Troy from Affordable Electric to rewire all my garage (took only 2 hrs.). I finally did the drywall work using screens to patch up that long hole I'd made to get to the wiring. Still appreciate you graciously taking the time to help (cleaning guns and electrical, ha!)..
    3. Good input about the Subarus. I have driven Corollas for 3 decades and had no trouble, but looking for a Honda or Subaru this next, and probably last time.
    4. I don't like the CVT tranny, but very few don't have it anymore.
    5. Glocks do cost more: I track them every day and that is one of the reason I have the S&W.
    6. Interesting that you said the Glock was far better than the SD9VE; just yesterday I saw a youtube about how the SD9VE was so much better than the Glock (don't remember model). To a novice, it's just a matter of reliability and not so much the bells and whistles. For example, trigger pull: I could really care less; I'm not going to put 1000s of rounds through it, and if needed for self defense, my old muscles and strength of my 20s would kick in (at least for a few seconds, ha!)
    7. For a "larger" gun that I woudn't normally carry, that would be the size that I would rotate, updating to other guns just for fun, and surely, I'd own a Glock somewhere done the line.
    8. Thanks for the input!
    9. Your "sell the cheaper 3 guns" has merit, and as I "mature" I will quit trying to get the "best cheapest" guns (like I did in my 20s) and go for quality, once I discover what that is. For example, the Kahr PM (if that is correct letters) comes highly recommended for a small gun, but it makes me wonder if it is worth the "double the price" of my Smith Shield 9mm that I got for $280 (w/ammo).
    10. For a night stand gun, I've got to have a revolver, at least until I prove to myself that my semis won't FTF.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m not a collector so my views are keep the ones you will shoot and sell the ones you won’t shoot.

Majority if what I own are fun guns, kept around simply because I enjoy them.

1. Totally agree, that's why I can't wait to get back to the range and find out which do not give me joy.
    2. One gun, which will go nameless, is already on that list.
    3. I just saw some notes in my 2107 planner of 5 guns to sell and two I already have:
    Taurus 9mm Slim
    Heritage Arms .22)
    one of the .32 tilt-ups barrels (either the Taurus or Beretta, just have to see which feels/seems best)
    tilt-up Beretta .25 (like the Taurus better so far)
    either the S/W .45 or SD9SE.

4. After this 1st year, if I continue, if could be that I'd rather have fewer guns, but better guns; I have a feeling this is where this is headed, but it takes some education and direction from others who have been there, done that, and I don't have the relationships for that yet, and even if I did the opinions are all over the place about the veracity of any single model, which must mean that there is the good, the bad and the ugly about any single model. Probably has to do with cleaning and ammo.
    To one person, a certain gun jams once every magazine and to another: never! Drives a novice nuts. :ugh:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

I've owned just about every Glock model, and I only have 1 left. The SD9VE has much better ergonomics for most people, points naturally, has readily available metal magazines, uses any M&P night sights and fits in any standard M&P holster. It's also about $150 - $200 less expensive than a Glock. The only thing that most people would say is better is the trigger on the Glock, and that's comparing one Windex spray bottle trigger with another. Having grown up shooting double action revolvers, the trigger on my SD9VE is not a problem. As a bonus, I've never been hit in the face with brass from my SD9VE. (Looking at you, G19)

The SD series of pistols are well regarded and known to be reliable. For someone who is going to maybe put 500 rounds through a pistol in a year and mostly leave it in a drawer for home defense, there is no reason to pay extra for a Glock. If the OP wants a better trigger but still wants an awesome value, the Ruger 9E is available for less than $300. I've got one of those, too, and the trigger is better than a stock Glock trigger IMO. And of course, it feels like a pistol in the hand and not a brick.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    If it says Smith & Wesson - keep it. If it doesn't - Sell it....Just kidding (mostly)!

Sell a couple and the upgrade the full size to an M&P 2.0. 100% better firearm.

Or keep them all. That's my motto...

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've owned just about every Glock model, and I only have 1 left. The SD9VE has much better ergonomics for most people, points naturally, has readily available metal magazines, uses any M&P night sights and fits in any standard M&P holster. It's also about $150 - $200 less expensive than a Glock. The only thing that most people would say is better is the trigger on the Glock, and that's comparing one Windex spray bottle trigger with another. Having grown up shooting double action revolvers, the trigger on my SD9VE is not a problem. As a bonus, I've never been hit in the face with brass from my SD9VE. (Looking at you, G19)

The SD series of pistols are well regarded and known to be reliable. For someone who is going to maybe put 500 rounds through a pistol in a year and mostly leave it in a drawer for home defense, there is no reason to pay extra for a Glock. If the OP wants a better trigger but still wants an awesome value, the Ruger 9E is available for less than $300. I've got one of those, too, and the trigger is better than a stock Glock trigger IMO. And of course, it feels like a pistol in the hand and not a brick.

I guess I need to do some research on the SD9VE, I seem to recall that they were turds.
    As far as brass to the face with a G19, I have had that happen too with a couple Gen 4's that I had owned. As in I no longer own.
    Smith & Wesson runs through my veins, I was raised on them.

As far as Kahr the PM 9 is a solid pistol for sure, I don't think they are worth the price difference of the Shield.
    A good friend of mine has a PM 9 Black Diamond, shot it, and at the time I had a brand new 9MM shield when they came out.
    I would keep the shield, not worth the price difference to me anyway.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think I have the SD9VE confused with Smith's early polymer gun.........The Sigma?

After watching some reviews on the SD9VE, I may have to look into getting one myself.

Here are a couple of my Smith's, for some reason I like the pretty ones, and they are "range toys" only.

Pro Series 1911 .45acp

Performance Center 629 .44 Mag

I do carry a Glock, for many reasons, one of which, if used for self defense and it has to sit in a property room, it is easily replaced.
    I have heard of anti-gun police officers pouring water down barrels of weapons that are in the property room.
    Don't know if it is true or not, but not willing to take that chance. I can see it happening though. By the time you have exhausted your life savings defending yourself, you won't much care about spending another $450 to get another Glock.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yeah, the Sigmas were turds. :):

I really like my SD9VE. Would completely trust it as a carry gun, but I like M&Ps better, so mine is currently assigned garage guard duty.

I generally carry some flavor of M&P every day, usually a Shield .45 or a .45 compact. Just picked up a 9mm compact 2.0 that I'm liking quite a bit.

Those are nice S&W's that you've got there!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Nothing inherently wrong with the SD9VE but if consolidation is a goal, the M&P 2.0 is a better platform IMHO than the SD9VE. Based upon previous thread's of the OP, I could see him taking a liking to the M&P 2.0 compact though I personally like the 5" model for my use.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Nothing inherently wrong with the SD9VE but if consolidation is a goal, the M&P 2.0 is a better platform IMHO than the SD9VE. Based upon previous thread's of the OP, I could see him taking a liking to the M&P 2.0 compact though I personally like the 5" model for my use.

1. Don't forget: the SD9VE was utterly pristine with 5 magazines for, wait for it: $250 = SWEET!
    2. Sorry. To me, everything is relative to value/$$, and my needs are minimal; I only demand functionality/dependability.
    3. Replacing the SD for a 2.0 is not reducing the # of guns, so I don't get it as heading in the direction of consolidation.
    4. When I get to the range, if Point Bland had the 2.0, I'll rent it and see if does make me want to replace the SD for it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I revise my statement then. Sell them all, take more money and build an AllenM custom 1911. :-)) Maybe not value/$$ ratio like a SD9VE but definitely value/smiles!

Seriously though, if you want to consolidate; look at what guns you really like to shoot and shoot well and/or have a specific use for. The list will probably work itself out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I revise my statement then. Sell them all, take more money and build an AllenM custom 1911. :-)) Maybe not value/$$ ratio like a SD9VE but definitely value/smiles!

Seriously though, if you want to consolidate; look at what guns you really like to shoot and shoot well and/or have a specific use for. The list will probably work itself out.

1. I have 5 guns to sell now, whenever I get around to it; I'm so busy I hardly even know where my guns are: just kidding. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Some really great feedback: thanks!
    Nice to hear some support for the S/W on a forum where everyone has differing ideas.
    When you hear confirmation of your own "theories" it sits well, like the concept of: not worth double the price of the Smiths to get an XXX brand.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I suggest not shooting the xxx brands that are double the pricethen. they tend to squirm under your skin and end up in your safe... As far as your original post, if your iffy on it, sell it, buy something interesting, iffy on it sell it and repeat. You will end up with a stable full of guns that you have no desire to sell. I've been getting into custom built stuff lately and it is a dark, expensive, scary path... but the rewards... I'm glad I took a liking to firearms and not alcohol or drugs.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom