Are compact/sub compact guns really inaccurate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    From all that I've been told the fired bullet leaves the barrel before recoil has a chance to divert its path. This leads me to believe any gun fired correctly should hit what it is aimed at. After seeing Jerry Miculek (sp?) hit a target 100 yards away with something smaller than full size pistol I don't believe the size of the gun has anything to do with PRACTICAL accuracy. Now time to get back on target after a shot is another matter.

Would you disagree?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Practical accuracy?

I can hit center of mass at defensive distances just fine.

WTF would I be shooting 100 yards with a subcompact? Would a longer barrel help with accuracy at those distances? Well, yeah. That is why rifles exist.

Atkinsons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I agree with eldirector with the question "Why would you be shooting a subcompact or compact at a 100 yard target?" Subcompacts and compacts are for easy concealment and for easy carry not for shooting at long distances. If you were to shoot someone at that distance with your pistol of choice you probably should be getting yourself ready for prison. That's my two cents..

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don't know if the OP was saying that we need to practice 100 yard shots with our subcompacts, but just that the myth that you need a large gun for accuracy is just that. There are some that maintain that a compact Glock (G26, 27, 29, 30) are more accurate than their larger brothers. It's all shooter dependent though. At the range that I'm likely to be shooting in SD, anything will work if I do my part.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I watched a video a couple of years ago showing a retired Arizona sheriff lobbing .38spl rounds into a "man-size" target at 300 yards, and he was firing a S&W snubby with a 2" barrel.
    He hit his target 5 out of 6 shots from 300 yards!

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    I agree that the compact gun is not inherently less accurate. Smaller guns, however, usually have a shorter sight radius that does make them harder to aim accurately. The following may explain itmbetter than I can.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/sight-radius/

When I first started collecting Beretta mouse guns years ago, I vowed to become proficient with a 950 jetfire. I can't tell you how many range trips and how much .25 cal ammo it took me to keep to that vow. Lets just say, "a lot".

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From all that I've been told the fired bullet leaves the barrel before recoil has a chance to divert its path. This leads me to believe any gun fired correctly should hit what it is aimed at. After seeing Jerry Miculek (sp?) hit a target 100 yards away with something smaller than full size pistol I don't believe the size of the gun has anything to do with PRACTICAL accuracy. Now time to get back on target after a shot is another matter.

Would you disagree?

Depends on the gun, but there's nothing inherently inaccurate about shorter barrels.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Depends on the gun, but there's nothing inherently inaccurate about shorter barrels.
    From a physics perspective, I'd say that is close enough as long as the barrel can impart the correct spin on the bullet to stabilize it. Of course, velocity will also be lower, so that may destabilize it quicker as well.

Clearly 2" barrels are long enough in general for rounds like a .38 Spl. I think someone here recently linked to the vid of Jerry Miculek shooting the 2" 38 upside down with his pinky at 200 yds.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Ammo CAN matter a ton.

When my little S&W 642 was new, I took it out shooting. 5-ish yards. Target was a paper plate. Whatever ammo I put in there, (PMC Starfire, I think?) - I couldn't hit the plate. Any other ammo - and I was hitting the plate. Granted, this was before I had any training what-so-ever but it still surprised me how inaccurate that particular load was out of that particular gun.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I watched a video a couple of years ago showing a retired Arizona sheriff lobbing .38spl rounds into a "man-size" target at 300 yards, and he was firing a S&W snubby with a 2" barrel.
    He hit his target 5 out of 6 shots from 300 yards!

If he shot it without trying to know the bullet's trajectory, I'd be impressed. At this distance, you can still hit it as long as you know your POA.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ive never understood how ammo can have that much impact on groupings. Can someone explain better

Bullet shape, jacket material, powder type, consistency of the powder charge can all effect the accuracy.

The Hornady XTP hollow point is known for being an accurate bullet. The pointy shape makes the weight bias towards the rear. For whatever reason, that makes it more accurate.

There are a lot more factors too. Each individual gun is different. One might shoot a certian load with great success while a different gun in the exact same model will do horrible with said load.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Could also be that inconsistencies in manufacture of a bullet impact the accuracy. Bullets spin pretty fast. A slow twist .45 is still spinning at over 40,000 rpm heading down range. A 9mm is over double that. At those rpms, a minute difference in case thickness could cause an imbalance that would effect the flight path.

Top Bottom