• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can't believe that when a person has lived in the state since 1985, and had the same job since 1988, you have to prove
    who you are, where you live and if you are a US citizen.
    I believe my tax records for local, state and federal should give me a free pass, proving beyond all doubt that I am worhty to buy a .22 caliber "weapon." :rockwoot:
    But, I suppose I have an overrated view of my own importance and significance. :rolleyes:

I went to Rural King to buy a S&W M&P .22 Compact today after work.
    I had it in my hand, starting paperwork.
    Then came my driver's license: Is this your current address?
    No, I just moved.
    Sorry.

Well, since you need 17 documents from birth certificate to passport and everything in between to get a new driver's license with an address change.
    It looks like I won't be able to buy at a retail place anytime soon. Maybe during Spring Break in March I'll have time to get to the DMV.
    I don't usually buy from stores, but I have 5 times that I remember since May:
    38 Charter Arms SS, (Marksman Shooting Sports)
    Taurus 9mm Slim, (Marksman Shooting Sports)
    Henry Lever Action .22 rifle (Marksman Shooting Sports)
    Ruger GP100 .22, (Hoosier Armory)
    Sig Sauer RS 290. (Hoosier Armory)

Outside of the inconvenience of the drive out of the way home, going to Rural King in Beechgrove from 1500 East Michigan instead of driving to Wannamaker,
    I'm already over the inconvenience, and after holding the light Smith MP Compact,
    it makes me wonder if I should just stick with my 1911 Sig Sauer for range use (and I have other .22s) and my Beretta or Taurus tilt-up if I actually wanted to carry a .22, but with .25 and .32 tilt-ups in both Baretta and Taurus, and the Smith .380, 9mm (s), 45 and 38 hammerless SS revolver, why would I?
    I do have a fascination with carrying small, though.
    I've even have carried my little .22 magnum NAA single action before, but not since I now have a bevy of larger calibers, although since they are virtually all small, compact or even subcompact I'm sure the real men carrying man-sized 1911ish guns are like: :ugh: or :laugh:.
    I am here to entertain. :dunno:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes if you purchase from an FFL you will need ID with current address. There is a spot for alternative ID on the 4473. For example a temporary paper Drivers License. But if the DMV takes the original license those do not work either.

To avoid the problem I ask people if their address on the ID is current and clip the ID to the clip board I give them to fill out the form.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Common sense gun control laws.

1. My opinion: when you have lived 28 yrs. in your last house, just b/c you moved, it doesn't seem common sense that you have to prove your existence again.
    2. It ought to count for something: a grandfather clause would be appropriate, imo. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I can't believe that when a person has lived in the state since 1985, and had the same job since 1988, you have to prove
    I believe my tax records for local, state and federal should give me a free pass, proving beyond all doubt that I am worhty to buy a .22 caliber "weapon." :rockwoot:
    But, I suppose I have an overrated view of my own importance and significance. :rolleyes:

No, I just moved.
    Sorry.

Well, since you need 17 documents from birth certificate to passport and everything in between to get a new driver's license with an address change.
    It looks like I won't be able to buy at a retail place anytime soon. Maybe during Spring Break in March I'll have time to get to the DMV.

Outside of the inconvenience of the drive out of the way home, going to Rural King in Beechgrove from 1500 East Michigan instead of driving to Wannamaker,
    I'm already over the inconvenience, and after holding the light Smith MP Compact,
    it makes me wonder if I should just stick with my 1911 Sig Sauer for range use (and I have other .22s) and my Beretta or Taurus tilt-up if I actually wanted to carry a .22, but with .25 and .32 tilt-ups in both Baretta and Taurus, and the Smith .380, 9mm (s), 45 and 38 hammerless SS revolver, why would I?
    I've even have carried my little .22 magnum NAA single action before, but not since I now have a bevy of larger calibers, although since they are virtually all small, compact or even subcompact I'm sure the real men carrying man-sized 1911ish guns are like: :ugh: or :laugh:.

Doesn't look too bad for the change of address part actually if I am reading this correctly, but been a while since I did just an address change, myself.

https://www.in.gov/bmv/2445.htm

What Do I Need to Update My Residential Address?

To amend your residential address, you must visit a BMV branch with two documents proving Indiana residency. Proof of Indiana residency can include documents such as a lease, monthly banking, credit card, mortgage statements, utility bills or similar documentation that is generated on digitally printed organizational letterhead. This documentation must be dated within 60 days of your visit to the BMV. For a complete list of acceptable documents, visit the approved documentation section.

On another note, don't forget to file change of address on your LTCH (assuming that still has to be done ... there are threads around on that as well) .. looks like you can do that here: ISP: Change My Name / Address

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    1. My opinion: when you have lived 28 yrs. in your last house, just b/c you moved, it doesn't seem common sense that you have to prove your existence again.
    2. It ought to count for something: a grandfather clause would be appropriate, imo. :dunno:

I do not understand your chagrin. You are mature enough to know that there are laws and they are to be observed.

It is no problem to change your address on your DL. If you already have a verified license All you have to provide is your DL and two forms of proof of address.

Are you a glutton for punishment?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    So your problem is you can't buy a gun because your ID is not valid because your address is incorrect and you are complainting because you have failed to update it? I don't see a problem except you have failed to update your license. Am I missing something here?

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    If you do not have a verified license, may as well take everything needed in and get it. Passport trumps all. If you have one, take it with you too.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    So your problem is you can't buy a gun because your ID is not valid because your address is incorrect and you are complainting because you have failed to update it? I don't see a problem except you have failed to update your license. Am I missing something here?

That's how I took it also. I was unable to buy a firearm a few years ago because my DL was expired by a few days. That was completely my fault. I went back in and bought it once I sorted it out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Its easier than you think. I just looked into getting a REALID and I only needed a few forms of ID. And your LTCH counts as one!

Suck it up and go visit the grumpy sloths. It will only hurt a bit. Just dont go at the end of the month so you dont have to fight the procrastinators.

EDIT: and dont forget to update your address with the ISP and get a replacement LTCH. (no you dont NEED a replacement by law, but you dont want a different address than on your DL to confuse an ignorant cop. See below)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I am on a delay because I paid off a large bill and my bank flagged it as an unusual withdrawal over 5k.... Teaches me to pay off debts... To the op it is pretty easy to do an address change on your license, it was in and out for my wife last year after we got married and her name changed. The hard part is getting a license or ID after it has expired, I made that mistake while in the air force. It was a mess.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In

No, I just moved.
    Sorry.

In the time it took to type all of that, and then reply to it, you could just about have got a new drivers license.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Its easier than you think. I just looked into getting a REALID and I only needed a few forms of ID. And your LTCH counts as one!

Suck it up and go visit the grumpy sloths. It will only hurt a bit. Just dont go at the end of the month so you dont have to fight the procrastinators.

EDIT: and dont forget to update your address with the ISP and get a replacement LTCH. (no you dont NEED a replacement by law, but you dont want a different address than on your DL to confuse an ignorant cop. See below)

Actually the BMV has gotten very efficient. Thanks Mitch.

When I was in the army my NJ DL never expired.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I am on a delay because I paid off a large bill and my bank flagged it as an unusual withdrawal over 5k.... Teaches me to pay off debts... To the op it is pretty easy to do an address change on your license, it was in and out for my wife last year after we got married and her name changed. The hard part is getting a license or ID after it has expired, I made that mistake while in the air force. It was a mess.
    Delay on what? A firearms transaction? The bank thing would have nothing to do with NICS? Or am I misunderstanding?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Delay on what? A firearms transaction? The bank thing would have nothing to do with NICS? Or am I misunderstanding?

It does. The bank reports the transaction to the feds and that starts a check to see if I'm involved in anything nefarious. I bought a pistol less than a week prior to the large transactions and cleared nics in 5 minutes I'm approaching 2 days. I stopped into the bank today and asked if my withdrawals had been reported and was told it was policy to report all transactions over 5000 for accounts like mine that really only see the rent and reg bills going out every month. The banker told me not to worry, but the fbi and dhs have departments that get that report. If I was a regular spender the federal limit is 10k for reporting. I haven't even been pulled over in 5 years, the only thing to change has been the bank reporting my "suspicious" transaction, even tho it was on one of their cashiers checks to a known business...

Edit for Clarity
    -The bank does not report to nics, but the report can get your name and social on any number of lists with the fbi and other 3 letter agencies that are granted access for investigative purposes. They say this is to combat the funding of terrorist organizations. Nics has access to a lot of lists, so my name and number flagged as being on a watch or investigative list and now a person working backroom has to verify that paying off debt is not funding extremists before giving the proceed. I expect the three days to pass so I'll get the rifle on Saturday, but it is a pain.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom