• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Those that know me know I have a fascination with small handguns, and especially the tilt-up barrels for reasons that cannot be explained.
    Back in 1990 I had a .25 caliber Beretta I loved that I wish I would have kept, but I sold it off with nearly everything else around that time.

I thought I had bought each of the 3 calibers mentioned in both of the brands mentioned (in the title).
    But, of course, Taurus didn't make the .32, but I had bought two Beretta .32 calibers.
    The 2nd one came with ammo, holster and 2 extra mags for the same price ($275) that I'd paid for the 1st one, so I had to do it:
    I'll keep the one I like best, if I have a preference, at all, but will at least come out with extra mags/holster and a Beretta box.

I do have the .22 caliber in both models. Paid $160 for the Taurus and $225 for the Beretta, with an extra mag.
    I'll probably end up keeping the Beretta, but I'll give the Taurus its day in court at the range.
    I'd rather say I have a Beretta .22 than a Taurus .22, but whichever fits best wins.
    Since they are both .22s, I could justify keeping both of them, since shooting them will be inexpensive, and I don't have much in the $160 one anyway.

In the .25 calibers, I bought one from someone I consider to be a friend here: we have bought and/or sold about 6 guns between us.
    He knew I wanted a tilt-up and he had one sitting around collecting dust that he picked up for nearly nothing decades ago, and I had no problem paying $225 for it, which included about $50 of ammo, so $175ish just for the gun in my economy.
    I honestly thought I had a Taurus in the .25 caliber, but that is what records are for.
    I went back and checked this evening, but only 5 tilt-ups, not 6.

I would love to upgrade and get stainless steel in any of the calibers, but people are asking a premium for such.
    I know some come in nickel (almost bought one here b/c the guy selling was willing to come down a reasonable amount, but I think I had a house to buy around the same time and decided to let it pass).
    Also, I'm just not sure of nickel, but for as little use as I would give it, not sure it would be worth upgrading b/c of the price points I have in my tilt-ups.

I know what you big-gun men are thinking: sell all of them and take your $1100ish and buy a real gun. :dunno:
    Someday, if I become "expert" enough, and there is a gun that I must have that would give me joy: sure.
    For now, I'll have to grow into it.
    Remember, I'm the guy who bought a dozen 9mms and decided and ended up with the S/W M/P Shield 9mm after trying them all out.

Secretly, the 1911 larger calibers have me salivating. I have a Sig Sauer .22 1911 that I love, and almost bought a Colt (made by Walther), and I have wanted the Browning (75% size reduction), but it sells for $500, and I just can't see why (b/c I'm a noob who used to pick up .22s for very little back in the 70s/80s and I am shocked on how much a little .22 revolver costs: outrageous! :nuts:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    There is a term a friend of mine explained to me a few years ago.
    He actually accused me of being one, and I think you may be one too, as well as many other "older" gun owners.
    What is the term and what does it mean you ask?

Fossil: Someone that remembers what guns used to cost versus what they cost now. And thinks they should STILL cost what they used too.
    For me it was the SKS, I do remember when there were crates of them at the Indy 1500, and you could take your pic for $49 dollars each for a nice Chinese one. But at that time here in the U.S. they were viewed as "cheap", because well, they were made in China. Of course now they are very desired if you don't want to pony up for a nice Russian one.
    To me a Chinese SKS will always be a $250 dollar rifle, because at one time, and for a long time, they could be had for that price. I think in today's market they average around $400, I may be wrong, the SKS in general does nothing for me.
    I'm sure if my current price is off, someone will come along and correct me.

I have to remind myself that inflation has happened, the U.S. dollar today is not worth what it was in the late 80's and early 90's.
    I myself have to work at not being a Fossil, I value my time and my hard earned money as much as the next guy. To truly enjoy this hobby you need to spend some money on it. Once you let go a little and buy something really nice you will enjoy it more.
    We can't take them with us, so for me anyway I like to buy nice stuff, shoot it, fondle it, get to know it, then pass it along when the novelty wears off.
    I do have some, like we all do that I will never sell, but for the most part they are all for sale at some point.

So be aware of being a Fossil, and that we only have so much time here on the planet, so let's enjoy our time here.
    I do enjoy the "honesty" of your posts. Keep buying, shooting, and sometimes selling. It is a great hobby to have, and a lot of good people in it.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    He actually accused me of being one, and I think you may be one too, as well as many other "older" gun owners.

Fossil: Someone that remembers what guns used to cost versus what they cost now. And thinks they should STILL cost what they used too.
    For me it was the SKS, I do remember when there were crates of them at the Indy 1500, and you could take your pic for $49 dollars each for a nice Chinese one. But at that time here in the U.S. they were viewed as "cheap", because well, they were made in China. Of course now they are very desired if you don't want to pony up for a nice Russian one.
    To me a Chinese SKS will always be a $250 dollar rifle, because at one time, and for a long time, they could be had for that price. I think in today's market they average around $400, I may be wrong, the SKS in general does nothing for me.

I have to remind myself that inflation has happened, the U.S. dollar today is not worth what it was in the late 80's and early 90's.
    I myself have to work at not being a Fossil, I value my time and my hard earned money as much as the next guy. To truly enjoy this hobby you need to spend some money on it. Once you let go a little and buy something really nice you will enjoy it more.
    We can't take them with us, so for me anyway I like to buy nice stuff, shoot it, fondle it, get to know it, then pass it along when the novelty wears off.
    I do have some, like we all do that I will never sell, but for the most part they are all for sale at some point.

So be aware of being a Fossil, and that we only have so much time here on the planet, so let's enjoy our time here.
    I do enjoy the "honesty" of your posts. Keep buying, shooting, and sometimes selling. It is a great hobby to have,1 and a lot of good people in it.

1. I smiled the whole way reading through that!!!
    2. You know me: you got me! So true. Coming from you who has been at my house and shared food and beverage, cleaning guns together, I certainly can't cover up the obvious.
    3. The idea that a .22 costs more than higher caliber guns is hard to deal with.
    4. Just tonight I am dealing with 3 different tilt-up barrels from $175-$275, just b/c I enjoy them.
    5. I'm sure I'll outgrow them as I evolve, but they fit into my profile for now (small and relatively inexpensive) :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I do enjoy the "honesty" of your posts. Keep buying, shooting, and sometimes selling. It is a great hobby to have, and a lot of good people in it.

1. Something I meant to mention in my response to your post last evening to illustrate your point:
    When I bought my house the price was great in comparison to other 1500 (+) sq. ft. houses we looked at. (asking $139k, got for $135k)
    2. But, it was in a subdivision where the houses had not turned over and the prices where lower. (First house we looked at elsewhere was 1350 sq. ft. for $155k)
    3. A house like mine had been sold for $113k in the previous few months, and only houses 2 story with more square footage had sold for $130kish.
    4. I was not happy that the realtors were asking $140kish for all the houses for sale now in that subdivision (1500 sq. ft. and less). I was hoping when the house was evaluated by the bank they would not lend for that money and the seller would have to come down (at least to $130k). Didn't happen, of course.
    5. At first I was happy to pay the asking price but after looking at the "comps" I realized since realtors go by what other things in the area had sold for: the price was too high.
    6. The house was not perfect and I have spent thousands doing basic electrical, plumbing and shelves and the like, so I should not have had to pay a premium price.
    7. I stewed about it.
    8. But, it was the only house we had found that was in "great shape," (new carpet, roof, wood flooring, paint and only 14 yrs. old not decades) and I was afraid not to grab it since I had given up finding a house in our "price range" (selling outs and buying a house w/o costing us more than $10kish more).
    9. My daughter (lawyer working in a real estate firm in Nashville, TN) counseled me that if I liked it (my wife loved it b/c of kitchen/island, and me b/c of very small yard but big utility building, ha!) not to worry about it if I pay "too much" if it fits the profile we were looking for.
    10. She was right, and I got there. If my wife wanted to let it go, I would have, but she wanted out of that small kitchen I had saddled her with for 28 yrs. :dunno:
    11. I see a parallel with what you are saying about buying guns (.22s) at a higher price than what my "fossil" brain thinks is viable.
    12. Thanks again, my friend, for your sound input so my fossil brain will attempt to come into the 21st Century. :wallbash: Well, it will hurt, and I still refuse to buy these small .22 revolvers for $4-500 b/c I can get .38s, 9mm. 45mm and Henry rifles for less that that!!! :nuts:
    13. I'm a revolver man, but refuse to buy .22 revolvers b/c of price (still unhappy about having to spend $600 to buy a new Ruger GP100 .22 b/c I couldn't find anything used for a USED price).
    14. I paid only $300 at Cabelas for a .38 hammerless S/W SS 642 b/c of a tip from here. How can a .22 cost more? :laugh:

Last edited:

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Im glad to learn there's another mouse gun fan here. I'm a guy that likes guns in both big and small platforms. (And pretty much everything in between).

I used to be one of the more prolific Beretta Collectors, and am still very active on the Beretta Forum. While I've sold off a lot of my Ilalian pistols, I still own pretty much every variant of every Bobcat 21a and Jetfire 950 ever made. I have the early FII /Beretta models, all the cals, all the std models, a factory long-barrel 950, Deluxe EL models, and any made in Nickle and Inox. You should check out the Beretta Forum for lots of good info or PM me if I can help you find anything. You are correct in that the special finish Beretta mouse guns are scarce and do command a hefty premium.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Im glad to learn there's another mouse gun fan here. I'm a guy that likes guns in both big and small platforms. (And pretty much everything in between).

I used to be one of the more prolific Beretta Collectors, and am still very active on the Beretta Forum. While I've sold off a lot of my Ilalian pistols, I still own pretty much every variant of every Bobcat 21a and Jetfire 950 ever made. I have the early FII /Beretta models, all the cals, all the std models, a factory long-barrel 950, Deluxe EL models, and any made in Nickle and Inox. You should check out the Beretta Forum for lots of good info or PM me if I can help you find anything. You are correct in that the special finish Beretta mouse guns are scarce and do command a hefty premium.

1. Oh WOW! You have gone down the journey I am reluctantly going down.
    2. Yes, I would love to process with you and find out which models to stay away from and which to gravitate toward.
    3. Your input would give credence on which of the models I have should be sold in pursuit to others, but, of course, for my usage: having less $$ invested is a big factor.
    4. I'm not looking to be a collector at all, but just having a little fun with a gun I enjoy.
    5. For example, should I stay away from the Taurus tilt-ups, or are they fine for less expensive but functional alternative to the Beretta. Perhaps certain models to abstain from or indulge in?
    6. I'm sure if you are a Beretta freak, you have come across comparative info on the Taurus.
    7. I am negotiating on 4 different tilt-ups at this time, and price is why I will walk away from 2 of them, and the "best" price of $170 for a Beretta .25 caliber maybe should be avoided for reasons I don't know yet.
    8. There is a nickel .25 I have talked with here since November: should I wait for a stainless steel? Should I pay a premium for the nickel, or just stick with my blued barrel that I have the equivalent of $175 invested? I bought it from a member here and it shoots well.
    9. I could keep going, but perhaps you'd rather answer using pm, otherwise I don't care to use this more public.
    10. I do want to get feedback on what I've got and what I'm negotiating for in case I should stop in my tracks and focus on "better" or find out that I'm OK for my needs: functional, easily resellable and minimal $$ invested.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ha! I just got back word from the nickel Beretta .25 caliber: sold for $350.
    I was wanting it for under $300 since I had bought two .32 caliber Berettas for $275, and have a .25 Beretta for $175 ($225 w/ammo).
    Was it the nickel that gave it such a premium? Can't imagine the stainless prices.
    Have I just gotten lucky with the prices I have listed that I paid for these tilt-ups: $160 (.21 Taurus), $225 (.21 Beretta), $175/$225 (.25 Beretta) and $275 (two Baretta .32)?
    Or, should I hold out for these type of prices?
    I won't invest too much buying others unless I get rid of all of them except 1 special one, which logically would be a .32 since I like to carry small and/or a .22 for shooting.
    Since I can get good feedback from flatsixshooter now, that will help narrow my "hunt." Can't wait to talk to him.

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Ha! I just got back word from the nickel Beretta .25 caliber: sold for $350.
    I was wanting it for under $300 since I had bought two .32 caliber Berettas for $275, and have a .25 Beretta for $175 ($225 w/ammo).
    Was it the nickel that gave it such a premium? Can't imagine the stainless prices.
    Have I just gotten lucky with the prices I have listed that I paid for these tilt-ups: $160 (.21 Taurus), $225 (.21 Beretta), $175/$225 (.25 Beretta) and $275 (two Baretta .32)?
    Or, should I hold out for these type of prices?
    I won't invest too much buying others unless I get rid of all of them except 1 special one, which logically would be a .32 since I like to carry small and/or a .22 for shooting.
    Since I can get good feedback from flatsixshooter now, that will help narrow my "hunt." Can't wait to talk to him.

Lots of good questions and info to share....we should probably set up a tel call when convenient to avoid putting half of the membership to sleep:).

A couple quick answers...

-yes, the nickel, inox and EL finishes do account for the significant premium. Fact is, most were made in small nos.

-YES, you got lucky, but diligent work/searching will improve your luck. There are deals out there and thats half the fun of mousegun hunting. One can spend a life time looking for them all, and they are usually less expensive than most full sized collectibles.

-Ive no shooting experience or issue with the Taurus Tip ups, but never bought any. The berettas offered more history and variety to collect. keep in mind, Taurus in Brazil did make beretta 92s and jetfire 950s under contract for Beretta years ago, so the design likeness is not a coincidence

-there are no all SS beretta tip ups. There are some that have a SS barrel/slide on an inox finish alloy frame. There is also an all Tititanium TomCat is 32 cal. expect them to be verrrry pricey.

-The older hi-polish/blued bobcats/jetfires (vs matte finish) are true little beauties...try to find one each (if you havent already)

-I have some posts/links to some beretta mousegun history I will try to dig up.

PM me your contact info if you wish and we can set up a call sometime.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Flatsixshooter, when I went to the Beretta Forum and did a search for tilt-ups, it was not forthcoming.
    When I put in Bobcat, or Tomcat, I got a little feedback but not much.
    Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, but on this site, if I put a certain gun model in for a search I get stuff from all over.
    Im sure I'm the X factor and simply don't know where/how/what to put in a search.

FlatSixShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2018
    Westfield
    Flatsixshooter, when I went to the Beretta Forum and did a search for tilt-ups, it was not forthcoming.
    When I put in Bobcat, or Tomcat, I got a little feedback but not much.
    Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, but on this site, if I put a certain gun model in for a search I get stuff from all over.
    Im sure I'm the X factor and simply don't know where/how/what to put in a search.

I'll share all search tips when we talk, but amongst the Berreta-tista, I would use the factory model nomenclature (Bobcat 21A , Jetfire 950BS, or Jetfire 950, Tomcat 3032 etc). There is also a Cheetah sized 380 tipup called the Model 86.

talk later.....!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The kicker in all this is in that I meeting someone (Flatsixshooter) here yesterday,
    who knows 1000% more about Baretta tilt-ups and guns in general,
    and we have talked privately, via cell,
    and he will be a great reference for guiding me on what to buy,
    or more importantly, what not to buy (based on what I already have).
    He has sold off his Beretta tilt-ups but has many parts left over,
    so I might be able to upgrade what I have with a shiny new slide or the like,
    and have some fun that way,
    since his prices will reflect just getting rid of leftover parts from his hobby days,
    instead of someone trying to make a living from it (my kind of guy :laugh: ).
    He also has a bevy of Beretta and S/W handguns he will be "thining out"
    so that could be of interest in picking up a gun here or there.
    And, he has European 22LR rifles, of which I know nothing about,
    but the word ".22" got my attention.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I owned two of the Bobcat Beretta 22's. The inox model was picky and would only run mini mags consistent. The other was a dull black matt finish. I would describe it as looking like it was parkerized. It would eat any cheap bulk ammo out there.

The term "Fossil" can describe me at times as well. Letting thinking of what things used to cost clouding a purchase I should make. For instance when 7.62 x 39 was $100 a case. I couldn't see why it had went up so much and would surely come down. Nooooo. Now I'm happy when I pay $200 shipped. I could go on.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    After I checked the Taurus and Beretta sites for the tilt-ups (or lack thereof), I checked Hoosier Armory (my go-to if looking at new prices, and they just moved from their garage to a store in Noblesville) b/c they showed a stainless Taurus for $222 that was available.
    However, when I called them, it was only in a lavender handle, which I decided not to get in touch with my feminine side :laugh:.
    There is one on Armslist for $275, which is par for the course, that I can buy new at Hoosier Armory for less as used since most people have paid too much new, apparently.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I owned two of the Bobcat Beretta 22's. The inox model was picky and would only run mini mags consistent. The other was a dull black matt finish. I would describe it as looking like it was parkerized. It would eat any cheap bulk ammo out there.

The term "Fossil" can describe me at times as well. Letting thinking of what things used to cost clouding a purchase I should make. For instance when 7.62 x 39 was $100 a case. I couldn't see why it had went up so much and would surely come down. Nooooo. Now I'm happy when I pay $200 shipped. I could go on.

1. Well, that's odd that the different metals acted so differently:
    if that was across the board, I would steer away from my love of everything stainless.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been to the range 3 times in the last 3 weeks and my first focus each time was the tip-ups.
    I oiled them up and put in my best ammo and they all performed well.
    The Taurus and Beretta 22s shoot well.
    The Taurus is double-action only and the Beretta has a hammer (which I like), but for now I think I'll keep both of them since I never met a 22 I didn't like (inexpensive to shoot).
    Plus, the Taurus I only have $160 in it and the Beretta I have $225 in it, so I can live with that.
    I only have one 25 caliber: Beretta (that I bought from Townmarshall for $225 last fall or summer).
    I really like it: very small and very accurate: a joy for a small pistol (like I like).
    For now I'll keep it since I don't want to regret selling it down the road, but I don't like having to have another caliber to stock.
    If I want to keep the 32 caliber Beretta instead of the 25 down the road, then I'll sell it, but for now I can't make that decision and will keep both.
    I want to decide between them b/c I don't think I need both calibers since either would accomplish my purposes.
    B/C of cost of ammo, I won't spend alot of range time with them and so it will be interesting to see how that develops.
    There have been inox Berettas that I would love to buy (one for sale now), but it's $400, and I just don't want to put that much into one since I don't mind having a less expensive one that is totally functional with low dollar in it.
    At the same time, there are some cool ones that I've seen that would bring joy just b/c of the "sharpness" of some special models, but they are rare, and I'm not going down that road since I like having the variety that I never had when younger.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I tried to buy a Beretta .32 Tomcat last evening, waiting for word today, but it has sold.
    I was right on it after it had been listed, but got beat out.
    I have 2 other Tomcats, but this one was an inox (which I think is ss) and it was $225 so I was going to go for it and sell the other two (selling one of the other 2 anyway).
    Anytime I see an INOX, it is $400. I could have bought one for $300 last Fall, but I was busy moving and wasn't sure about the $$$ situation with all the buying of thousands of dollars of appliances, electrical and plumbing work: I regret it now, but the big money flow has stopped last month with the house.
    There is an SS Taurus .22 for sale, but I'm afraid to buy it (had trouble with 2 Tauruses and I'm new at this), for $245 and then face repairs.
    I have the Beretta Bobcat .22 to console myself with.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I decided to go for it and make offers on a couple of Stainless tip-ups since I really want those for whatever reason.
    Since I lost my bid for a Ruger 1911 for $500, I was going to console myself by buying a Taurus PT22 tip-up barrel and a Beretta Tomcat 32 acp inox.
    I put in my usual bid, wanting the $400 Beretta for $300 ($325 if 2 mags) and $200 for the $245 Taurus.
    I lost out in the Fall getting a Beretta Tomcat for $300 b/c I was buying a house and counting my pennies (since I already had the blued version).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been trimming. Wanting to trim different calibers as well as guns, and have decided to trim all the tip-up barrels, which will eliminate two calibers: .25 and .32.
    Already sold the .25 Beretta.
    Sold one of the .32 Berettas awhile back, and since my S/W M/P bodyguard is nearly identical in size (Beretta thicker in grip), I'm trimming that caliber also, so I'll trim the other .32 and get out of the .32 business altogether.
    Already trimmed the Taurus .22LR caliber tip-up, but I won't be trimming that caliber from the safe. :laugh:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ve been south of the border for a week or so. I do not see any PM’s relating to the G26 I had dibs on? On topic, the Taurus tip up is a piece of **** stick to the Beretta. Yes, I owned the Taurus, and in a fifty round box of Federal Lightning, the frame rails disintegrated to the point you could lift the slide off the frame at the rear with two finger while it was in battery. It is a price of ****, did they “fix”it, yes. Tausrus fans do one thing well, FedEx. I tried them, owned them, the 90’s PT92 was the least ****ty of the bunch, but it still went to visit Hialeah once. The others made multiple pilgrimages to the **** gun Mecca.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve been south of the border for a week or so. I do not see any PM’s relating to the G26 I had dibs on? On topic, the Taurus tip up is a piece of **** stick to the Beretta. Yes, I owned the Taurus, and in a fifty round box of Federal Lightning, the frame rails disintegrated to the point you could lift the slide off the frame at the rear with two finger while it was in battery. It is a price of ****, did they “fix”it, yes. Tausrus fans do one thing well, FedEx. I tried them, owned them, the 90’s PT92 was the least ****ty of the bunch, but it still went to visit Hialeah once. The others made multiple pilgrimages to the **** gun Mecca.

1. I have been so busy with other things besides guns (and have sold 3 with another 3 for sale) trimming like I said, that I haven't even been able to shoot it the last 2-3 times at the range b/c of getting others ready for "assessment."

Top Bottom