• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Hi INGO members,

I've gotten about 600 rds through the 686+ 3" I got this summer and even enjoying carrying it this winter under my coat. My question is, I was thinking of changing the front sight to a Hiviz Red Front Sight #SW1002R to help out my old eyes. Does any body know if the base to top of blade height the same (point of aim)? Also will the Hiviz fiber optic sight hold up to being put in and out of my holster? Also I need to find a gunsmith if I make the change, any suggestions?

Any and all thoughts are welcome. :ingo:

jl-scott

sdb321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2016
    LaFontaine
    I do not own a gun with one but I remember reading that they my break if they are repeatedly drawn from a holster. Someone may have more info later.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Not sure how much more visibility you'll find with a fiber optic site versus the red ramp but that is for you and yours eyes to decide.

Personally, I find fiber optics fast to acquire and put on target though for "bulls eye" accuracy I prefer a three dot or the factory ramp.

Since you asked, I would recommend a gunsmith replace the front sight. Not a difficult task but very very easy to mar the finish.

What I can say is that the hi viz sights on my PC Shield have held up very well. No impact from holstering.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Also, I think there are a couple different pin sizes, not sure.

As to point of aim, why worry, it's a 686 which has an adjustable rear sight.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I replaced the sights on my 686-6 with tritium ones. I can't remember what it was, but I recall the rear giving me more difficulty than the front. Some of the stuff I've been getting up to has taken me a step or two over the border into gunsmithing, but the front sight was easy. You can order your sight by model, for example, and follow the directions.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I had the Hi-Viz installed on my 3" 686+, and I do recall needing to adjust the rear up a little... the Hi-Viz ended up sitting pretty much at the top of where the red ramp was.

Someone else suggested wisely to have a gunsmith install this. The front sight pin is really small, so be prepared to ruin a punch or two getting it out if you try it yourself. Same for the drill bit when you go to drill through the new sight. I installed a new XS Big Dot on my Ruger SP101, easy enough if you take your time. But the pin on the S&W is a size down from the Ruger. I happily paid a smith to do mine. And trust me, I'm a cheapskate with this type of stuff... I absolutely despise paying someone to do something I think I can do myself.

jl-scott

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for the replies! I think I'm 95% sure I going to try the Hiviz front sight. I'll kept the ramp front sight in case the Hiviz sight does not hold up to my leather holster. Any suggestions on who would do a good job replacing the front sight? Thanks!

jl-scott :):

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom