• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What do you think about this? A tier above the Smith compact?
    This is $100 more than the S/W M/P 22LR Compact.
    Is it a tier above the Smith Compaact, or just another like the others: Ruger SR, Walther P22 or PPK (if that is correct letters), Bersa Thunder.
    Then there is a couple of Brownings (1911 and something else). Are they a tier above what I have mentioned and is on par with the Beretta M-9 22 (if it is a tier above)

convert

Beretta USA M9-22

$398.00

Beretta's M9-22 is an exact replica of the M9 in .22 caliber and features the same operation, controls and takedown as the venerable Beretta M9. M9-22 features removable sights, interchangeable grip panels. Beretta's Bruniton finish with military-style markings is highly resistant to sweat and corrosion, and a tool-free disassembly latch makes it simple and quick to take the pistol apart for cleaning. This semi-auto pistol has a reversible magazine release and an ambidextrous safety/decocker making it suitable for right- or left-handed shooters. This model has a 5.3" barrel and comes with a 15-round magazine.

Type Pistol
    Action Single/Double
    Caliber 22 Long Rifle (LR)
    Barrel Length 5.3"
    Capacity 15+1
    Safety Ambidextrous
    Grips Black Rubber
    Sight Configuration Dovetail
    Weight 26.08 oz
    Frame Finish Black
    Frame Material Aluminum
    Slide Description Black Bruniton

Flatsixshooter is a Beretta nut and he has gotten my attention to look at Beretta, though he's never commented to me about the Beretta M-9 22.
    Since I'm close to buying the Smith M/P Compact 22LR, perhaps I should spend more and get the Beretta ($400/Hoosier Armory), then I wonder if I should spend more and get the Browning 1911: it gives me pause b/c there is no end.

I can always buy and sell like I did with the 9mms last summer, but I'm trying to avoid that by buying smart, which, b/c of the price of used 22s, I can't "steal" those like in the .380, 9mm and 45mm: blasted 22 should not be such a hassle. :dunno:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Are you using this to train or just a plinker?

If you are training, pick up a 22 that most closely emulates your EDC.

If it will be a plinker, get whichever you want. Personally if I am not EDC'ing a Beretta 92 or 96 then I'm not interested in the Beretta 22 but that's me.

Here's someone's review including some breakage and a post by a VP from Beretta. The reviewer gives about 2 years of history shooting it through the thread and as stated a couple of breakages that Beretta takes care of for him.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18001-Beretta-M9-22

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Are you using this to train or just a plinker?

If you are training, pick up a 22 that most closely emulates your EDC.

If it will be a plinker, get whichever you want. Personally if I am not EDC'ing a Beretta 92 or 96 then I'm not interested in the Beretta 22 but that's me.

Here's someone's review including some breakage and a post by a VP from Beretta. The reviewer gives about 2 years of history shooting it through the thread and as stated a couple of breakages that Beretta takes care of for him.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?18001-Beretta-M9-22

1. I haven't looked at the link yet, but I will give clarity to your questions.
    2. I want to get more .22 calibers just for fun at the range, for variety and spice to life. Not desired for CC: I have multiple small / subcompact / compact guns for that in .22, .25, .32, .380, 9mm & 45, but my basic CC is a revolver anyway (Smith 642 Airwieght).
    3. Training has nothing to do with wanting either a Smith Compact or Beretta M-9 22.
    4. The idea of having something different in platform from the Smiths is a draw just for that very difference.
    5. I just don't know whether the more expensive Beretta would make any difference in my joy over "another" Smith, but if they were the same price and it had the same reputation for reliability and shooting most any ammo: a no-brainer for the Beretta just to have a different flavor: for example, I love my 1911 Sig Sauer.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    It is made by Umarex in Germany which is a turnoff for me. Probably fun but I would rather have a good used 92fs in 9mm and a Beretta factory .22 conversion kit.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is made by Umarex in Germany which is a turnoff for me. Probably fun but I would rather have a good used 92fs in 9mm and a Beretta factory .22 conversion kit.

1. Understood. When i see a "Colt" 22LR and find it is made by Walther, it gives me pause, or the Sig Sauer 1911 22LR i have that is made by GSG (if I remember correctly).
    2. The reviews have been so good for the Beretta M-P 22, but, it does seems "safer" for a noob like me to simply get the S/W M/P Compact 22 or perhaps the bigger brother: S/W M/P 22, that I just realized perhaps I should get instead of the smaller compact: I'm waiting for some input on that here on a thread.
    3. The "regular-sized" M/P is about 9-10 ounces heavier and I like that also.
    4. For a 22, unlike my CCs, I don't need small; I have I Beretta or even a Taurus tip-up barrell small mouse guns if I wish carry a 22.
    5. For reasons I love my full-size Sig 1911, "heavy" pistol, I think I would like the M/P 22 better, but then I worry that it will be too much like my Sig, so a duplication of "flavors" not another flavor.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    All of your choices seem to be different versions of the same "flavor"... .22 LR copies of centerfire pistols never meant for top accuracy in a .22.

If I remember correctly from past threads, you have always had an aversion to the often recommended Ruger Mk IV and Browning Buck Mark. To me, as .22 "plinkers" go, these two stand out above your choices. I politely suggest you get together with others that own these pistols and give them a try.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Read the thread I supplied. Will give you some real impressions from the poster for a period of about 2 years of shooting one, including a couple of fairly substantial breakages, though Beretta did take care of it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The browning 1911-22 will be 50 more of better than the m9-22 copy. It is also made by browning for browning and will hold resale value better over time because it says browning. Neither will give you target pistol groups. The browning 1911-22 is a 3/4 size 1911 copy that has what I would call a better after market appeal since there are more 1911 owners than M9 owners overall(or they are at least more vocal.

The buckmark field target offers a full rail to attach a scope. A single spring flip (see Hingis spring flip on google) will Drop the trigger pull to a nice consistency under what the factory offers without any cost other than the time to read how to do it and doing it. You can spend a little more (20-25 ) and get the threaded barrel version for a stamp in the future. mSRP 559 so Hoosier price should be much less than that. Add three more mags for it and a nice 2 power or red dot and you now have a target pistol. Heck I think I have a Burris 2 power with a same bell dent I would sell to you cheap.

Maybe 500 for pistol maybe a bit less. Now this version has no overtravel like my old ones and most likely the trigger pull will be 3.5 to 4 pounds before the spring flip and 3-3.5 after with a longer trigger reset but I don’t think you will notice that until you shoot my older ones.

Buck Mark Field Target

sell off one of the non targets get a target pistol go shoot some steel matches. Your bank account will over time thank me.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    All of your choices seem to be different versions of the same "flavor"... .22 LR copies of centerfire pistols never meant for top accuracy in a .22.

If I remember correctly from past threads, you have always had an aversion to the often recommended Ruger Mk IV and Browning Buck Mark. To me, as .22 "plinkers" go, these two stand out above your choices. I politely suggest you get together with others that own these pistols and give them a try.

1. You remember correctly.
    2. Top accuracy is not my "nirvana" either; I'm about 3 decades away from that quest. :laugh:
    It's hard to go down that path when reading the captions on the TV is a goal. :dunno:
    3. Even though I don't think the Mk 4, or the Browing Buck Mark will be much different from my perspective (or lack thereof), from my experience with my Smith Victory that I owned for 1 range trip, since I keep being referred to those maybe I'll try it out.
    4. Since I used to own a Mark ?? back in "my day," (late 80s), and I've always wanted to own a Browning, I'll start a hunt for one.
    5. I would love to get together with those that have those or rent them at the range, neither seem to materialize.
    6. When someone mentions getting together I always agree, but it never goes anywhere.
    I don't want to scare anyone away, being a newbie, I don't want to be aggressive in my pursuit of someone's offer for fear of being discerned as "strange," instead of a boring old school teacher. :fogey: I'm also "strange," but that comes from being a teacher since the 70s, but I started out "strange" anyway. :nuts:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Read the thread I supplied. Will give you some real impressions from the poster for a period of about 2 years of shooting one, including a couple of fairly substantial breakages, though Beretta did take care of it.

1. It is a reason to steer me toward the other.
    2. And, I did read every word!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The browning 1911-22 will be 50 more of better than the m9-22 copy. It is also made by browning for browning and will hold resale value better over time because it says browning. Neither will give you target pistol groups. The browning 1911-22 is a 3/4 size 1911 copy that has what I would call a better after market appeal since there are more 1911 owners than M9 owners overall(or they are at least more vocal.

The buckmark field target offers a full rail to attach a scope. A single spring flip (see Hingis spring flip on google) will Drop the trigger pull to a nice consistency under what the factory offers without any cost other than the time to read how to do it and doing it. You can spend a little more (20-25 ) and get the threaded barrel version for a stamp in the future. mSRP 559 so Hoosier price should be much less than that. Add three more mags for it and a nice 2 power or red dot and you now have a target pistol. Heck I think I have a Burris 2 power with a same bell dent I would sell to you cheap.

Maybe 500 for pistol maybe a bit less. Now this version has no overtravel like my old ones and most likely the trigger pull will be 3.5 to 4 pounds before the spring flip and 3-3.5 after with a longer trigger reset but I don’t think you will notice that until you shoot my older ones.

Buck Mark Field Target

sell off one of the non targets get a target pistol go shoot some steel matches. Your bank account will over time thank me.

1. "The browning 1911-22 will be 50 more of better than the m9-22 copy." Not sure of what you meant to say.
    2. Was it, the Browning 50 times better than the Beretta M9-22 copy? That's what I'm betting.
    3. Not concerned about trigger pull, or putting a scope on a handgun, a rifle maybe.
    4. At Hoosier Armory I saw dozens of models of the Browning Buck Mark: confusing, (someone earlier suggested this or the Mark 4 Ruger) under $400 to over $500.
    5. the Browning 1911-22 80% copy is $530, $580, $550, $600
    convert
    convert
    convert
    convert

6. I had a chance to buy one at Hoosier Armory used for $500 a month ago but I thought it was too much for an 80% sized gun.

7. Buck Mark Field Target at Hoosier Armory: $500
    convert

8. Life just keeps getting more complicated. If only I thought that spending the extra $100 (Smith MP Compact $400) and skipping over the Browning 1911-22, and getting this Browning Buck Mark Field Target gun would bring more joy than the Smith Compact, I would do it.
    9. If i find anything used at "my" kind of price I would buy it to try it since the ranges don't have these to rent, but if it is like the Smith 22s, I never see them or people are asking more than new price for them.
    10. I just called Point Blank in Greenwood and they have the Ruger Mark 4 for rent but none of the other semi autos that I've been talking about. They do have the Smith 617, so I'll finally be able to contrast it with my Ruger GP100 which is the same (on paper).

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I have one and love it. 0 issues aftrr 500 rounds, very accurate also.
    I love .22 pistols and have shot several.
    Had a Walther P22 before this and a Sig 1911-22. Didn't care for either.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have one and love it. 0 issues aftrr 500 rounds, very accurate also.
    I love .22 pistols and have shot several.
    Had a Walther P22 before this and a Sig 1911-22. Didn't care for either.

1. Now there is a testimonial.
    2. You prefer then Browning Buck Mark Field Target to the above-mentioned, and I wish you had experience/knowledge with the Ruger SR22 and especially the S/W M/P 22 or the M/P Compact 22, but noone has, it seems.
    3. Do you know what the Walther PPQ 22 is like compared to the P22?
    4. At least I'll be able to rent the Ruger SR22 at the range.
    5. It sounds like you have shot many that I'm curious about: feel free to post or even pm me, and it you want to talk w/o all this typing: pm me and I'll give you my number. I seek knowledge. :coffee:
    6. Otherwise, I have to buy everything and try them then sell them, like with the 9mms last summer: laborious.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a Ruger SR22 for a little more then a year. Functioned flawlessly for me, I don’t recall it having any problems and it ate every ammo brand I tried. It got traded off only because I went from that to my PPQ and the build quality of the SR22 bothered me after living with the PPQ.

It was never an issue of function, but I didn’t like listening to it rattle every time you moved it. Almost like it was built with very loose tolerances. I no longer recall if it was like that when I bought it. It was my first pistol and I didn’t know to check things like tightness. It’s possible it was always like that but I didn’t notice until the Walther came along, or maybe it loosened up with use. Either way it functioned as perfectly the day it left as it did the day it came.

I’ve consdiered looking at another one as a fun plinker, but I’ll probably get the PPQ-22 instead.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a Ruger SR22 for a little more then a year. Functioned flawlessly for me, I don’t recall it having any problems and it ate every ammo brand I tried. It got traded off only because I went from that to my PPQ and the build quality of the SR22 bothered me after living with the PPQ.

It was never an issue of function, but I didn’t like listening to it rattle every time you moved it. Almost like it was built with very loose tolerances. I no longer recall if it was like that when I bought it. It was my first pistol and I didn’t know to check things like tightness. It’s possible it was always like that but I didn’t notice until the Walther came along, or maybe it loosened up with use. Either way it functioned as perfectly the day it left as it did the day it came.

I’ve consdiered looking at another one as a fun plinker, but I’ll probably get the PPQ-22 instead.

1. I have read about the "rattle" and it did bug people/
    2. You said you'll probably get the PPQ-22 for another fun clinker, but you said you went from the SR to "my PPQ."
    3. Did you misspeak and meant to say, the Walther P22?
    4. I just didn't want to miss your point on the particulars of seeing your movement from one to another 22.
    5. I've written off the SR, and did so with the Walther 22s when I read about the Smith MP Compact 22, but I do wonder if the Beretta M-9 22 or the Browning (they have a couple of interest) is a tier above, or the same tier, but noone seems to have any experience with comparing them with the Smith Compact

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I should have clarified that. I went from the SR22 to a 9mm PPQ. The reason I’d pick the PPQ-22, if I get that type of 22 again, is that it shares enough similarity with my 9mm that I can play with cheaper ammo. I haven’t paid a ton of attention to the .22 version of the popular striker guns (PPQ, M&P, etc) so I cant say how they all compare.

I enjoy my mid-90’s SW 422 enough that I haven’t had much of an urge to look at other .22 pistols much.

Top Bottom